Ivybridge or Haswell

Go to solution Solved by xToFxREAPER,

to be honest i would get ivy.. haswell doesnt offer enough of a performance improvement to make the extra cash worth it in my opinion

Do you think that Ivydridge will still be good until Skylake is released? 

I was going to get haswell but IVB is cheaper and Changing two different Sockets doesnt appeal to me very much when Skylake is introduced in 2015 along with the socket change.

to be honest i would get ivy.. haswell doesnt offer enough of a performance improvement to make the extra cash worth it in my opinion

^This. and this is coming from someone who owns an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.6 Ghz

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

Ivy bridge isn't far from Haswell in performance.

Get Haswell if it isn't much more expensive than Ivy. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

Are you upgrading or planning a new build?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

^This. and this is coming from someone who owns an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.6 Ghz

it was at 4.8ghz previously lol but when i changed cases to the tj j i couldnt fit my h100 anymore.. once i can afford the custom loop im planning ill be back up and running at 4.8ghz :)

I was goin to go ivb but when I was about to order I decided to look at the deals and the hero was on sale for 189 on newegg and the 4670k was only 219 at frys so ended up getting haswell so it would have been the same price for either one... but if it wasnt for the onboard audio for the hero I would have gone IVB for the better overclocking. Thanjs anyway reaper for the input.

Is Haswell really that much more? I got my Haswell for 5 bucks less then Ivy, which is why I went Haswell :P

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

I've been thinking this same question. My conclusion is that if you'll build whole rig on next major upgrade (gpu I'd think), Ivy is enought. If you want to upgrade piece by piece and maybe not change mobo in next 3 years, Haswell is better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Is Haswell really that much more? I got my Haswell for 5 bucks less then Ivy, which is why I went Haswell :P

Wow youre lucky everywhere I have looked until frys sale Haswell has been atleast 20$ more than IVB