What windows to install?

Ariona

I installed 7 recently.  But i did this because I had a disk and didn't have money for 8.1.

I've heard 8.1 is faster though

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

What are you going to be doing?

I've found that 7 has been by far the most stable and reliable, but I've been using 8.1 for a few months now and it's alright.

With Windows 10, I've been finding some interesting glitches. Most things are there and working but there are still a lot of rough edges. Example: Yesterday I had to reset the machine because I'd been waiting for 2 minutes to switch back to my user. This usually takes a few seconds because we have a nice Crucial BX100 in there.

Sig under construction.

Whichever is cheaper or available to you, then upgrade to 10 come August for free. As you probably know the W10 TP isn't recommended for your main machine.

Windows 8.1, no reason to buy 7 in this day and age, unless you're one of those ignorant haters.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What are you going to be doing?

I've found that 7 has been by far the most stable and reliable, but I've been using 8.1 for a few months now and it's alright.

With Windows 10, I've been finding some interesting glitches. Most things are there and working but there are still a lot of rough edges. Example: Yesterday I had to reset the machine because I'd been waiting for 2 minutes to switch back to my user. This usually takes a few seconds because we have a nice Crucial BX100 in there.

Dude you can't complain about glitches and a Dev preview OS. thats like complaining when you are playing a beta game. Just something to remember

To OP. 8.1 ! ! 8.1 all the way, Its a awesome OS ! ! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Either 7 or 8.1 are fine. :D

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Doesn't matter which one (u gonna get W10 in couple of months anyway).

But version matters because home and pro are going to have different options for upgrades and other stuff. Get Pro version if u can.

W10 looks like next best MS OS.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If you watch a lot Netflix, Windows 8 would be a better option. It has Netflix's application which plays videos with Blue-Ray quality. Netflix in browser plays videos only with DVD quality.

However, Windows 8 seems to be faster and it will still have updates for a while, since Windows 7 already lost sime of it's update-support.

When Windows 10 comes out, you are able to upgrade your Windows 7 or Windows 8 to it for free.

I dunno if it is a good option to wait till Windows 10 release and see what it will cost.

Windows 8.1, no reason to buy 7 in this day and age, unless you're one of those ignorant haters.

Buy whatever's cheapest, upgrade to 10 end of this month for free. If that happens to be Win7, get Win7.

No reason to spend more on something that will become the same in a month.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Buy whatever's cheapest, upgrade to 10 end of this month for free. If that happens to be Win7, get Win7.

No reason to spend more on something that will become the same in a month.

You can easily grab windows 8 for 35 bucks anyway. Haven't seen windows 7 keys go below 75. Surprised at the people who are actually buying it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Well this is a hard one ;) I have not tried 10 yet so don't know about that. I use both Windows 7 and 8.1 and work fine. Windows 8 has a nice interface easy to use once you get used to it and windows 7 is nice as well. Both come with there problems so no operating system is perfect. It up to you relay.

You can easily grab windows 8 for 35 bucks anyway. Haven't seen windows 7 keys go below 75. Surprised at the people who are actually buying it.

Depends on location, I'd assume. Anyway, whether to choose 7 or 8.1 is irrelevant at this point, as win10 is better in pretty much all aspects anyway.

Depends on location, I'd assume. Anyway, whether to choose 7 or 8.1 is irrelevant at this point, as win10 is better in pretty much all aspects anyway.

Not necessarily. It's probably going to be cancer on release day like xp Vista 7 and 8. Like every single or that came before it, it's probably going to be terrible when it's first released.

Not necessarily. It's probably going to be cancer on release day like xp Vista 7 and 8. Like every single or that came before it, it's probably going to be terrible when it's first released.

7 and 8 where fine release day.

Vista was also fine on release day. it was the drivers that where not, due to the changes to the driver model that MSFT made, in MSFT's defense they did tell all the HW vendors of this YEARS before release.

Day one, maybe. Still doesn't change my point. Even if you do end up waiting it's still worth buying the cheapest option.

That being said, the Technical preview is already very stable, so I'm not too worried.

never liked windows 8, i have windows 7 ultimate and its pretty awesome, classic windows works the best for me.either way you could still update to windows 10

Windows 8.1 is all around better than Windows 7. So if you're buying that's where I would spend my money.

I have noticed recently that Windows 8.1 ran slower on my PC than Windows 7 did. Maybe its because of older hardware for my system. Still upgrading to 10 though no matter what xD

"We will build a firewall, the firewall will work, the firewall will be successful and if you don't think firewalls work all you have to do is ask Yahoo"