My Thoughts On Windows 10 (build 10130) So Far

After not staying up to date with changes in the Windows 10 technical preview for a few months I decided I should install it on my laptop. After having used it for a few hours yesterday and a few hours today here are the things I like and dislike about it, compared to Windows 7 (some of the "new" stuff I will mention is from Windows 8).

The new file transfer dialog box is great. Being able to pause transfers is such a basic feature it should have been in Windows Vista. It seems more accurate and responsive than the Windows 7 dialog box as well.

MKV thumbnails in explorer is nice. It's a shame it doesn't work for a lot of video codecs (such as 10 bit H.264) or some other file formats (like WebM) but small steps are better than no steps.

Microsoft Edge seems like a massive upgrade from IE. It won't become my main browser (more on that later) but my opinion has gone from "IE is bad" to "Edge is pretty good".

Multiple desktops is great.

Having the option to sync with your Microsoft account is nice, although I don't think I will use it for anything other than maybe OneDrive (and a standalone program would do that just fine). For everyone else I am already invested in the Google "eco-system" and Microsoft need to not only be as good as Google to make me change, they need to be better.

The better support for multiple monitors is very nice. I will probably stop using Display Fusion when I upgrade, although living without the snap feature (windows snap to other windows and edges) will be tough. I might just leave Display Fusion installed just for that.

I like the new task manager. It looks nice and has some nice new things (like network usage with graphs in the same area as CPU and memory).

The password peek button is a very nice addition, and it's nice that you can disable it if you want (since it is kind of a security risk).

All the performance improvements and more native support for hardware are nice things. Everything from the new DirectX, to the faster boot and so on. Although it would be nice if they could release some of that stuff on (especially DirectX) on older OSes.

I am very excited for some of the PowerShell changes such as OneGet. CMD also seems to have some very nice additions like ctrl+v for pasting, text wrapping, opacity and so on. Very neat.

Language settings seems more fleshed out as well but I haven't played around with it enough yet.

Notifications seems a lot better than in Windows 7. Instead of the message appearing and then disappearing on its own you now get a nice list of things. Helps a lot when more than 1 program is sending you notifications.

I won't talk that much about things like the video player because personally I think they are so far behind third party alternatives it's not even worth trying to improve. I will however mention some bundled programs I do use, or want to use but they are not quite up to my standards yet.

The Metro space in the start menu does not resize no matter how many/few apps you got pinned there. It is always 12 columns wide, which is about twice as big as I want it.
Thanks for the tips thekeemo

Maybe I am just not cleaver enough but I can’t figure out how to swap between desktops. I figured out Windows + Tab to bring it up (good shortcut) but how do I then change from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2? It would be nice if I could use Alt + Tab to cycle through the different desktops (yes I know about the arrow keys and enter, but that’s way too far away).
On my desktop this won’t be a major issue because I can quickly press the one I want with my mouse, but I am not a fan of trackpads so I try and use it as little as possible on my laptop.

Photo viewer does not support animated gifs (a feature that existed in Windows XP but not since). Come on Microsoft.

Speaking of formats... WebM. Windows 10 doesn't support it. Why not? I have no idea. You'd think that a format used by huge websites like YouTube, imgur and Wikipedia would be a high priority, and implementing it costs almost nothing because it is free and open source, but nope...

The URL you get from OneDrive sharing are very cryptic. On Dropbox it is: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/<userID>/File.name
On OneDrive it's just a complete mess of numbers and letters. That means that if I am uploading something that will take an hour, I can't just manually type the address out and go "here, download this in an hour". I have to actually wait for the entire thing to upload before I can link the URL. That's super annoying.

Cortana should work even if I am in Sweden. It’s not that I want it to support Swedish, but I want it to at the very least support English even if I am in Sweden. Right now I can’t even give Cortana commands in English.

Still got 2 “control panels”. One is the “settings” program and the other one is the old control panel. I thought they were going to merge the two but the settings one still lacks even basic things like settings to change IP. To make things even worse, some settings can only be found in the "settings" program as well, such as start menu customization. So I can't just bet on being able to find all my settings in the control panel, nor can I be sure to find all my settings in the settings program. I have to guess, look around and if I don't find what I want I have to try the other one.

Being forced to install updates if you got the regular, non-pro version is retarded.

Preinstalling crap like Candy Crush Saga is inexcusable.

Still some inconsistences between win32 and metro programs. For example shift + click on a win32 program in the task bar opens a second window with it. On metro apps shift + click and regular click does the same thing (goes to the app). That leads me into my next issue…

You can’t have 2 windows with the same metro app open. Try opening two calculators and see for yourself. Why not!?!? This becomes a huge issue when you try and use Microsoft Edge, because you simply can’t have two browser windows open at the same time. Did they not test this at all or something? I don’t understand how this could pass any kind of testing without anyone saying “hey boss, this is really stupid and we have to fix it”.

Needlessly complicated to turn the computer off.
In Windows 7 it’s: Win key -> left arrow -> Enter
In Windows 10 it’s: Win key -> Up arrow -> Up arrow -> Enter -> up arrow -> up arrow -> enter

Searching on the web from the task bar is terrible. A lot of times the “search on web” result is the default one when I press enter, instead of the locally installed program I actually want to launch. My HDD in my laptop is not that fast so this might become a smaller issue on my SSD (because it will be able to find locally installed programs faster, before it defaults to searching on the web) but it's still an issue.

Transparency in the title bar. The opaque one they got right now looks awful. Really really awful. At the very least give us the option. Also, why the hell did they limit the color options? I can only pick between 49 different colors now when I in Windows 7 had 4 different sliders (hue, saturation, brightness and color intensity). Out of the 49 colors 14 of them are just very similar shades of gray as well. Oh and changing these colors does not change the title bar or task bar colors, which are always pure while and a dull gray respectively.

Oh and let's not forget the stupid decision to let OEMs lock users out from disabling secure boot. Anything that risk users losing control over their computer is bad, and I am sure at least a few OEMs will abuse the shit out of this. That won't affect me right now though since my current motherboards does not support secure boot, but I will have to replace them sooner or later.

I also ran into a lot of different issues such as memory errors when trying to turn the computer off, trackpad all of a sudden not working, occasional freezes and short hiccups so in my opinion there is quite a lot of work left to do on Windows 10 before it's ready for prime time. I am kind of worried about it being released fairly soon.
It seems promising but I won't be installing it on my desktop on day one. At most I'll install the final version on my laptop and wait a few months to see if any major issues gets reported. If all they will do before release is just fix some of the bugs and stuff then I am kind of on the fence if I should upgrade from Windows 7, since it has so many annoying things or things that needs to be polished (more than just bug fixes).

What are your thoughts on Windows 10? Something you like about it? Something you dislike?

So is multiple desktops in windows like OS X?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I never liked build 10130, and neither did my computer. Sure, it had a working start menu and working Cortana, but god damn, the stupid build was so unstable. I couldn't stand it keep freezing, so i just revert back to 9926, from January.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't remember how multiple desktops in OS X works but the Windows 10 multiple desktops are like in for example Ubuntu. You can have like 3 programs open on Desktop 1, and 2 other programs open on desktop 2, and then quickly change between the different desktops.

Very nice feature. I haven't tried it with multiple monitors yet so I don't know how it handles that.

you can resize the start menu by dragging it in

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Build 10130 actually broke my start menu and graphics drivers stopped working. Tried rolling back but it was still broken. Reinstalled an older build.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Build 10130 actually broke my start menu and graphics drivers stopped working. Tried rolling back but it was still broken. Reinstalled an older build.

My start menu and search worked, but it was so god damn unstable. I think it had to do with my graphics drivers not working well with 10130. 9926, the one i'm on now, works perfectly well. But then again, i have a GT610.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't remember how multiple desktops in OS X works but the Windows 10 multiple desktops are like in for example Ubuntu. You can have like 3 programs open on Desktop 1, and 2 other programs open on desktop 2, and then quickly change between the different desktops.

Very nice feature. I haven't tried it with multiple monitors yet so I don't know how it handles that.

Yep seems just like OS X, so that's good.

Pascal laptops guide

My start menu and search worked, but it was so god damn unstable. I think it had to do with my graphics drivers not working well with 10130. 9926, the one i'm on now, works perfectly well. But then again, i have a GT610.

I have a Quadro NVS 160m :P

Build 10074 seems to work fine for me. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I have a Quadro NVS 160m :P

Build 10074 seems to work fine for me. 

For some reason, it didn't roll me back to 10074. It rolled me back all the way to 9926, from January.

'That's impossible, Apple can't innovate'

Multiple desktops on OS X was a HUGE reason why I love it. It's something you don't know you need until you use it.

So would you say it's stable enough at this point to use as a daily driver? I like the upgrades, but early builds were pretty slow compared to 8.1

What about multiple apps not running? in 10130, i can run as many calculators as i want to, More app support to come with an update later on.

post-81427-0-85832800-1433705210_thumb.p

They're still working on merging Settings & Control Panel. Hopefully that's done before RTM

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I have one big problem with what I've heard so far about Windows 10.

They still have a 32 bit option.

If you want to hold the industry back with a technology that was surpassed almost decade ago you're doing it wrong. Very, very wrong. Hell, even iOS and Android devices are on 64 bit. 

Ye ole' train

What about multiple apps not running? in 10130, i can run as many calculators as i want to, More app support to come with an update later on.

attachicon.gifScreenshot (3).png

You could run mulitple calcultors since a long time. Our old windows 7 AIO had a button mapped to open the keyboard, I would mash it until I had 300 calculators.

Pascal laptops guide

The new file transfer dialog box is great. Being able to pause transfers is such a basic feature it should have been in Windows Vista. It seems more accurate and responsive than the Windows 7 dialog box as well.

Windows 8 feature

Having the option to sync with your Microsoft account is nice, although I don't think I will use it for anything other than maybe OneDrive (and a standalone program would do that just fine). For everyone else I am already invested in the Google "eco-system" and Microsoft need to not only be as good as Google to make me change, they need to be better.

It also sync between your system Windows settings (all configurable in the options), including backgrounds. If you have more than 1 Windows 8/10 system, this is awesome. It turns your mobile system as an extention to you desktop.

I like the new task manager. It looks nice and has some nice new things (like network usage with graphs in the same area as CPU and memory).

Windows 8 feature

The password peek button is a very nice addition, and it's nice that you can disable it if you want (since it is kind of a security risk).

Windows 8 feature

All the performance improvements and more native support for hardware are nice things. Everything from the new DirectX, to the faster boot and so on. Although it would be nice if they could release some of that stuff on (especially DirectX) on older OSes.

Mostly Windows 8 feature.

I won't talk that much about things like the video player because personally I think they are so far behind third party alternatives it's not even worth trying to improve. I will however mention some bundled programs I do use, or want to use but they are not quite up to my standards yet.

Currently, they are the best players for touch experience. VLC is not bad. Still waiting for the universal app version, so that it can run outside of Windows 10 desktop/laptop, such as Windows 10 mobile.

Maybe I am just not cleaver enough but I can’t figure out how to swap between desktops. I figured out Windows + Tab to bring it up (good shortcut) but how do I then change from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2? It would be nice if I could use Alt + Tab to cycle through the different desktops (yes I know about the arrow keys and enter, but that’s way too far away).

On my desktop this won’t be a major issue because I can quickly press the one I want with my mouse, but I am not a fan of trackpads so I try and use it as little as possible on my laptop.

Read this: https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/16/virtual-desktops-in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/

Speaking of formats... WebM. Windows 10 doesn't support it. Why not? I have no idea. You'd think that a format used by huge websites like YouTube, imgur and Wikipedia would be a high priority, and implementing it costs almost nothing because it is free and open source, but nope...

You seam to be one of the very few asking for it, when I am looking at the user feedback.

Being forced to install updates if you got the regular, non-pro version is retarded.

Same problem in Windows 10 Pro. All you can do is DELAY. Yea it sucks.

I posted a user voice on it: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

I think the day Microsoft will release a breaking update, it will come and bite in their ass, and I think manufcatures will stop delivering their drivers via Windows update, and opt to automated updaters which sucks for us, as we have mroe background process to have, but at least gives us control on drivers.

They said limited time. So my guess it is for free promotion period.

You can’t have 2 windows with the same metro app open. Try opening two calculators and see for yourself. Why not!?!? This becomes a huge issue when you try and use Microsoft Edge, because you simply can’t have two browser windows open at the same time. Did they not test this at all or something? I don’t understand how this could pass any kind of testing without anyone saying “hey boss, this is really stupid and we have to fix it”.

Open the Store, click on the down arrow (the universal sign of download button) next to your account picture. Update all apps.

Now you can open multiple instances of calculator.

Currently it is the only app that supports this.

In Windows 10 it’s: Win key -> Up arrow -> Up arrow -> Enter -> up arrow -> up arrow -> enter

Actually in Windows 7, you get sleep, depending on your device. In Windows 10, the order is identical between all your types of devices.

Also Alt+F4 on the desktop will show the shutdown menu.

You can also right-click on the start menu, or do Win+X, and you have the shutdown opion right there.

Searching on the web from the task bar is terrible. A lot of times the “search on web” result is the default one when I press enter, instead of the locally installed program I actually want to launch. My HDD in my laptop is not that fast so this might become a smaller issue on my SSD (because it will be able to find locally installed programs faster, before it defaults to searching on the web) but it's still an issue.

You have to wait to be indexed, sadly. Of course, your program needs to be on the start menu as well.

Oh and let's not forget the stupid decision to let OEMs lock users out from disabling secure boot. Anything that risk users losing control over their computer is bad, and I am sure at least a few OEMs will abuse the shit out of this. That won't affect me right now though since my current motherboards does not support secure boot, but I will have to replace them sooner or later.

OEM will decide. Consumers vote with their wallet. Don't like it, don't buy the device. While I expect some manufcatures to do this (usually cheap ones), not all will do it.

I also ran into a lot of different issues such as memory errors when trying to turn the computer off, trackpad all of a sudden not working, occasional freezes and short hiccups so in my opinion there is quite a lot of work left to do on Windows 10 before it's ready for prime time. I am kind of worried about it being released fairly soon.

Beta software is in beta, yes.

It seems promising but I won't be installing it on my desktop on day one. At most I'll install the final version on my laptop and wait a few months to see if any major issues gets reported. If all they will do before release is just fix some of the bugs and stuff then I am kind of on the fence if I should upgrade from Windows 7, since it has so many annoying things or things that needs to be polished (more than just bug fixes).

What are your thoughts on Windows 10? Something you like about it? Something you dislike?

Actually the release you are experience is actually pretty behind by numerious builds of what Microsoft has in hands.

I have one big problem with what I've heard so far about Windows 10.

They still have a 32 bit option.

If you want to hold the industry back with a technology that was surpassed almost decade ago you're doing it wrong. Very, very wrong. Hell, even iOS and Android devices are on 64 bit.

Sorry but:

1- They are systems (mostly now tablets running Windows) still being made with 512MB of RAM and 1GB of RAM. Those are unable to run 64-bit version of Windows. You need 2GB minimum.

2- Also disk space is only 16GB or 32GB of them. 32GB is already bordeline usuable with 64-bit Windows 10, and that is whith the new compression system which will be enabled automatically on such system

3- Tell Intel to stop making 32-bit only CPUs

4- Tell companies to update their shitty 16-bit programs, andupgrade

5- Tell companies to update their shitty age old peripherials to new ones, and stop being cheap-ass.

Only then, dropping 32-bit Windows will be considered.

<image>

They're still working on merging Settings & Control Panel. Hopefully that's done before RTM

How did you do that? I can't get two calculators (or any modern app, including Spartan) to run in 2 windows. I've tried launching it from the search field, tried shift + left click the icon in the task bar as well as just trying to open it from the start menu.

Nothing works. It always just makes the single window I already got open active.

Edit: Okay @GoodBytes explained why. So you can't run "modern apps" in multiple Windows, except an updated version of the calculator. That's a huge huge issue for me. As long as that's the case for Spartan I don't even care how good the rest of it is, I won't be able to use it. I need to be able to have 2 browser windows open at the same time.

It seems like a really stupid limitation.

You could run mulitple calcultors since a long time. Our old windows 7 AIO had a button mapped to open the keyboard, I would mash it until I had 300 calculators.

That's the old calculator. The new one is a "modern app" and for some reason I can't open more than 1 window with it.

After not staying up to date with changes in the Windows 10 technical preview for a few months I decided I should install it on my laptop. After having used it for a few hours yesterday and a few hours todayh here are the things I like and dislike about it, compared to Windows 7 (some of the "new" stuff I will mention is from Windows 8).

MKV thumbnails in explorer is nice. It's a shame it doesn't work for a lot of video codecs (such as 10 bit H.264) or some other file formats (like WebM) but small steps are better than no steps.

Microsoft Edge seems like a massive upgrade from IE. It won't become my main browser (more on that later) but my opinion has gone from "IE is bad" to "Edge is pretty good".

Multiple desktops is great.

The better support for multiple monitors is very nice. I will probably stop using Display Fusion when I upgrade, although living without the snap feature (windows snap to other windows and edges) will be tough. I might just leave Display Fusion installed just for that.

I am very excited for some of the PowerShell changes such as OneGet. CMD also seems to have some very nice additions like ctrl+v for pasting, text wrapping, opacity and so on. Very neat.

Language settings seems more fleshed out as well but I haven't played around with it enough yet.

Notifications seems a lot better than in Windows 7. Instead of the message appearing and then disappearing on its own you now get a nice list of things. Helps a lot when more than 1 program is sending you notifications.

The Metro space in the start menu does not resize no matter how many/few apps you got pinned there. It is always 12 columns wide, which is about twice as big as I want it.

Thanks for the tips thekeemo

Photo viewer does not support animated gifs (a feature that existed in Windows XP but not since). Come on Microsoft.

The URL you get from OneDrive sharing are very cryptic. On Dropbox it is: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/<userID>/File.name

On OneDrive it's just a complete mess of numbers and letters. That means that if I am uploading something that will take an hour, I can't just manually type the address out and go "here, download this in an hour". I have to actually wait for the entire thing to upload before I can link the URL. That's super annoying.

Cortana should work even if I am in Sweden. It’s not that I want it to support Swedish, but I want it to at the very least support English even if I am in Sweden. Right now I can’t even give Cortana commands in English.

Still got 2 “control panels”. One is the “settings” program and the other one is the old control panel. I thought they were going to merge the two but the settings one still lacks even basic things like settings to change IP. To make things even worse, some settings can only be found in the "settings" program as well, such as start menu customization. So I can't just bet on being able to find all my settings in the control panel, nor can I be sure to find all my settings in the settings program. I have to guess, look around and if I don't find what I want I have to try the other one.

Still some inconsistences between win32 and metro programs. For example shift + click on a win32 program in the task bar opens a second window with it. On metro apps shift + click and regular click does the same thing (goes to the app). That leads me into my next issue…

Transparency in the title bar. The opaque one they got right now looks awful. Really really awful. At the very least give us the option. Also, why the hell did they limit the color options? I can only pick between 49 different colors now when I in Windows 7 had 4 different sliders (hue, saturation, brightness and color intensity). Out of the 49 colors 14 of them are just very similar shades of gray as well. Oh and changing these colors does not change the title bar or task bar colors, which are always pure while and a dull gray respectively.

I'm pretty sure pausing file transfers did exist on Vista.

How did you do that? I can't get two calculators (or any modern app, including Spartan) to run in 2 windows. I've tried launching it from the search field, tried shift + left click the icon in the task bar as well as just trying to open it from the start menu.

Nothing works. It always just makes the single window I already got open active.

If you're on 10130, just search 'calculator', open it, search it again, and open it again.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Edit: Okay @GoodBytes explained why. So you can't run "modern apps" in multiple Windows, except an updated version of the calculator. That's a huge huge issue for me. As long as that's the case for Spartan I don't even care how good the rest of it is, I won't be able to use it. I need to be able to have 2 browser windows open at the same time.

It seems like a really stupid limitation.

You are using an in developement software (Windows 10). The software, or operating system should I say, is in developement.

That means that not all features are working, and some are being implemented.

If you are not confortable with this, then you should return to your previous Windows 10, and wait for the final version to be released.

I'm pretty sure pausing file transfers did exist on Vista.

Nope. It appeared in Windows 8.

I worry because a lot of your liked features are all just things from windows 8, I've played around with windows 10 but never really used it properly

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

You are using an in developement software (Windows 10). The software, or operating system should I say, is in developement.

That means that not all features are working, and some are being implemented.

If you are not confortable with this, then you should return to your previous Windows 10, and wait for the final version to be released.

Nope. It appeared in Windows 8.

All this time i thought it appeared in Windows Vista. Turns out, not even 7 has it.

I am using a T410s as my Win 10 test machine. I am using a 64gb SSD SATA II. It boots windows 10 in 17-20 seconds. The drivers in Windows 10 greatly improved the read and write times on this Samsung SSD. It's a 1.8" form factor drive. Win 10 comes preloaded with flash which is a nice feature. This Thinkpad has 8GB of ram and an i5 processor.  The DX12 feature of Windows 10 is probably most important to gamers. From what I have heard Windows 10 runs games better than Win 7 and Windows 8. They could add a little more color to Windows 10. I like the fonts and structure they use for the browser and layout. I would like to see a Computer tab similar to Win 7 so that you can see all your disk drives and CD/DVD burner in the start menu. Spartan seems to work well.

They should probably include Word/Excel/Powerpoint with Win10 for free with just basic modes for the Office applications to counter Open Office which is already free.