Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake.. what do this ''codenames'' stand for?

There's just no way that those tiny traces will support monster voltages that it takes to get high chip speeds. And just as interesting is where all this extra real estate is going. It looks like the GPU side of things. Iris 6200 looks pretty good and you basically get it for free with every cpu. Zen better be spectacular.

Just because someone wants a high clock speed doesn't mean high voltage is required. If you have a nicely binned chip, you don't need a lot of voltage. The GPU included with the CPUs is not free - why would you think it is? It costs Intel money and they're going to try getting it back.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just because someone wants a high clock speed doesn't mean high voltage is required. If you have a nicely binned chip, you don't need a lot of voltage. The GPU included with the CPUs is not free - why would you think it is? It costs Intel money and they're going to try getting it back.

Oh, and another thing, if you only increase the clock speed of your cpu, for example OC'ing i5 4690k to 4ghz, and not putting any more voltage in it, will that effect the lifespan of the cpu and will there be any more heat than running it at stock?

Oh, and another thing, if you only increase the clock speed of your cpu, for example OC'ing i5 4690k to 4ghz, and not putting any more voltage in it, will that effect the lifespan of the cpu and will there be any more heat than running it at stock?

That's tricky. 4 ghz isn't much of a speed boost. That's more like Turbo which is built into the Intel spec. The way I see it, the difference between the "Turbo" speed and the official rating is the amount that Intel has improved during production. And that Turbo speed isn't hard on the chip at all. You get it for nothing. Once you go past that, up to max clock then things get interesting. Increase in voltages, increase in heat, more stress. The whole point of the K chips though is their capabilities to carry that load.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

More heat is still being produced when increasing the frequency and increasing the CPU frequency without increasing voltage puts an additional electrical load on the chip and may reduce the lifespan by a small amount.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

More heat is still being produced when increasing the frequency and increasing the CPU frequency without increasing voltage puts an additional electrical load on the chip and may reduce the lifespan by a small amount.

By saying ''small amount'', how much is that? -0,5 years? running it OC'ed 24/7? running it OC'ed for only 4h/week?

Will the cpu last for 10 years?

By saying ''small amount'', how much is that? -0,5 years? running it OC'ed 24/7? running it OC'ed for only 4h/week?

Will the cpu last for 10 years?

I'm not going to quantify its lifespan. I cannot tell you how long the CPU will last.

I'm not going to quantify its lifespan. I cannot tell you how long the CPU will last.

Well..its true, nobody really know the exact lifespan of any CPU...

Broadwell was  the chick that ended Gen David  Patraeus's career and she will ruin your bank account.

Broadwell was  the chick that ended Gen David  Patraeus's career and she will ruin your bank account.

Umm.. WTF u talking about?

Umm.. WTF u talking about?

His attempt at a pricing metaphor, saying Intel is too expensive. Just ignore the troll. He's being doing this on every Intel thread on the forum; making obtuse metaphors and insulting other members that recommend Intel over AMD.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

His attempt at a pricing metaphor, saying Intel is too expensive. Just ignore the troll. He's being doing this on every Intel thread on the forum; making obtuse metaphors and insulting other members that recommend Intel over AMD.

Oh, so its just a troll, I see a lot of them on youtube (saying "crapvidia" or "intel sucks", ...)

Oh, so its just a troll, I see a lot of them on youtube (saying "crapvidia" or "intel sucks", ...)

Essentially, yes. Unfortunately it has yet to result in a forum ban. Perhaps one day...

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX