2 psus connected into one

Bajantechnician

How do i connect two psus in series?

plz dont say to not do it.... :(

is there any way i can increase the wattage without increasing the amperage?

Thank You

BJT

With PSUs, no.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

.... why would you want to anyways?

Also you can't. They aren't just a battery with a positive and a negative. They are a complex chunk of technology. The isolation transformer and the short circuit protection will not allow you to connect them in series, they will just trip; stop working or worse.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

How do i connect two psus in series?

plz dont say to not do it.... :(

is there any way i can increase the voltage without increasing the amperage?

Thank You

BJT

Just get a set up Buck Booster converter you wouldn't need two PSU and why are are needing more than 12V?

With PSUs, no.

You mean 24V with two PC PSUs? Can't do it.

.... why would you want to anyways?

Also you can't. They aren't just a battery with a positive and a negative. They are a complex chunk of technology. The isolation transformer and the short circuit protection will not allow you to connect them in series, they will just trip; stop working or worse.

http://www.burningissues.net/how_to/power/theory.htm

watt, not volt

srry

Just get a set up Buck Booster converter you wouldn't need two PSU and why are are needing more than 12V?

not v, sorry, w

need 800 watt

not v, sorry, w

need 800 watt

Yeah, doesn't work that way either.

... sigh. I'll humour you a bit.

You can use two PSU's to power one system. It's a simple matter of tying the trigger pins in the main 24 pin plug of the secondary power supply to your "main" PSU to trigger it on when it starts. Then you can use the outputs from the two PSU's as you see fit.

It is seriously not recommended.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

not v, sorry, w

need 800 watt

So If i'm understanding you want to run two PSU's in one system why not just use an adapter like this which will turn on the main PSU and the secondary automatically:

1.0x0.jpg

Yeah, doesn't work that way either.

... sigh. I'll humour you a bit.

You can use two PSU's to power one system. It's a simple matter of tying the trigger pins in the main 24 pin plug of the secondary power supply to your "main" PSU to trigger it on when it starts. Then you can use the outputs from the two PSU's as you see fit.

It is seriously not recommended.

could u make a paint drawing?

Thanks

So If i'm understanding you want to run two PSU's in one system why not just use an adapter like this which will turn on the main PSU and the secondary automatically:

1.0x0.jpg

what i need is the wattage, and more 8 pins

Why do you need to do this?

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

could u make a paint drawing?

Thanks

Why aren't you purchasing a 800W PSU instead?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

So If i'm understanding you want to run two PSU's in one system why not just use an adapter like this which will turn on the main PSU and the secondary automatically

There you go @Bajantechnician we used to use something like that back in the day when 600W PSU's were too pricey and you had two 300's lying around but wanted to run some power hungry hardware.

It's still not technically boosting your wattage at all, you're just sharing the load between two supplies.

what i need is the wattage, and more 8 pins

IT would be better to get a new PSU or an adapter from molex to the 8 pins, but that's what was used back in the day if you wanted say a 1000W PSU but they only made 600W PSU you would take that adapter where the first main PSU kicked the second PSU to startup and deliver power for drives, GPU's etc.

Why do you need to do this?

got a titan z, need 800 watts,

got a 450, and a 350 laying arround

Why aren't you purchasing a 800W PSU instead?

cuz i dont have money......

There you go @Bajantechnician we used to use something like that back in the day when 600W PSU's were too pricey and you had two 300's lying around but wanted to run some power hungry hardware.

It's still not technically boosting your wattage at all, you're just sharing the load between two supplies.

how do u physically do it?

IT would be better to get a new PSU or an adapter from molex to the 8 pins, but that's what was used back in the day if you wanted say a 1000W PSU but they only made 600W PSU you would take that adapter where the first main PSU kicked the second PSU to startup and deliver power for drives, GPU's etc.

i literally have 5 dollars in my wallet left

If you have a titan X I highly suggest getting a Good PSU since poor or bad quality PSU's can potentially kill components. 

To physically do this what you do it take the green Power On wire and Grd wire where you split it off so it has a connection coming off of it going according to the Power On and a Grd lead on the second PSU.

Alright...

post-187531-0-83458700-1433462654.png

See Pins 15 & 16? Black and Green? You tie those two on your "slave" PSU to your "master" PSU. You can do this a couple ways. Either you can tie them to the PWR SW itself or tie them into the 24 PIN MAIN of your master unit. You can cut and strip the wires on the slave, then strip a 1/4" long section of the two on the main and solder them together. This will trigger both PSU's on.

I'm also going to put a disclaimer here. I highly recommend not doing this and waiting til you can afford a real, quality PSU.

Seriously, save up and buy a sufficient power supply. It would be sad if you accidentally damaged that awesome graphics card because you weren't willing to buy what you need to make it run. It is a $1500 card, I don't think it is worth risking with a MacGyver approach. Be patient and buy what you need.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Alright...

attachicon.gifATX_24pin001a1.png

See Pins 15 & 16? Black and Green? You tie those two on your "slave" PSU to your "master" PSU. You can do this a couple ways. Either you can tie them to the PWR SW itself or tie them into the 24 PIN MAIN of your master unit. You can cut and strip the wires on the slave, then strip a 1/4" long section of the two on the main and solder them together. This will trigger both PSU's on.

I'm also going to put a disclaimer here. I highly recommend not doing this and waiting til you can afford a real, quality PSU.

I have a 1050 evga, but its 200$, and im strapped for cash.

Seriously, save up and buy a sufficient power supply. It would be sad if you accidentally damaged that awesome graphics card because you weren't willing to buy what you need to make it run. It is a $1500 card, I don't think it is worth risking with a MacGyver approach. Be patient and buy what you need.

eh..

um...

no...

i got the superclocked version.

ur price x 2

Alright...

attachicon.gifATX_24pin001a1.png

also, i dont need the 24 pin.

i need 2, 8 pins

wait.

is there any way i can mod molex to 8 pins?

Yes there are adapters for that, many don't recommend them since the molex side of the connectionscan be overloaded at times if a poor connection occurs, Also for your 450W PSU that will be maxing it out if you have say a Titan X and an i7 CPU, what is your highest wattage PSU you have on hand:

RmxBl.png