Is there a point to 120hz tv's

MrMurphysLaw

consoles, tv, and movies all output at 60hz so for a 2D tv is there really a point to spending the extra money?

Yes...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

The title makes no sense to the body of the post. And really, movies, consoles, and TV shows don't output at 60Hz. Some console games do, but movies and TV shows are shown at about 24FPS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Blu-Rays which are 1080p would be the main reason I can think off. Then take into account it really isn't much more expensive for a "full HD" over a "HD ready" TV anymore. The panel is also likely to be better quality on a more expensive TV.

I am going to make my prediction now:  This thread will contain pages upon pages of complete misinformation.

Then no, there is no point. It's really marketing. The only people that would really use it are people who game on PCs that can push that many frames to the TV.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Anything besides a non Active 3D tv is 60Hz. Active 3D tv's are 120Hz. Active 3D is one TV's with the heavy glasses that have batterys in them. Passive 3D is like what you get in a move theatre and those only need to be 60 fps.

Newer TV's have multiple refresh rate it can be set at such as 24p for blu ray so you get a frame by frame instead of repeating frames.

For normal everyday watching having a higher refresh rate (hz) does nothing besides repeat frames. Having it repeat frames does not increase smoothness. But those fake 120Hz tv's have smoothing technology to make the 30fps tv show look smoother than it is even though it is just putting transition images as a frame. It does help with smoothness to an extent. You would NEVER want this as a gaming monitor because for it to do so it introduces an large amount of input lag. Which is why some of those TV's have a 'game mode' It gets ride of that smoothing technology so you don't have a 1-2 second delay from input on the controller to the image on the screen.

That's why for Sports you get a 500/600hz plasma because sports is displayed at 50fps so it goes into 500/600 evenly 1 for 1 without having 1 frame 2 times and and another frame once. It can make the fast panning camera and movement seem a little bit smoother without the motion blur.

Resolution wise HD channel you get from your TV provider are a mix between 720p(1280x720) and 1080i(1920x1080). P meaning progressive and I meaning interlaced. It depends on the channel. Bluray will always look nicer even a 720p blu ray will look nicer than a 1080i cable channel because it is not just about how many pixels are in the image but the bit rate of the video. I don't know the bitrate of what cable tv is at but a blu-ray picture has a bitrate of about 20-30 MB/s. Hence why the movies are 20-40GB. The bitrate is how much information is happening per second. The higher the number the more detail that is going into the image. The better things look without it getting blurry. Side note same with music MP3 vs FLAC there is a MAJOR difference in file size because of the bitrate. With music and TV the converting of a higher format to a smaller format has a algorithm that helps take away the small things that most people won't notice. That's why audiofiles like lossless music because you can hear sounds that just are not in mp3's because they have been ommited to allow for a smaller bitrate and thus a smaller file size.

TV Contrast ratio, how black the black really is, is different from one tv manufactuer to another. They each of different techniques and ways to measure it. So I would only use that number when compairing the same brand of tv's. TV A might have a contrast ratio of 10,000:1 which might be the same as TV B 200,000:1. The higher the number the deeper the blacks will be so and the nicer the image it will be.

I am by no means an expert on TV's if anything here is wrong please correct it so I and others can learn more this is just some basic of what I have learned over the years.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Do active 3d tvs (120hz) even exist? Only TN panels can do it and they aren't suitable for T.Vs

Anything besides a non Active 3D tv is 60Hz. Active 3D tv's are 120Hz. Active 3D is one TV's with the heavy glasses that have batterys in them. Passive 3D is like what you get in a move theatre and those only need to be 60 fps.

Newer TV's have multiple refresh rate it can be set at such as 24p for blu ray so you get a frame by frame instead of repeating frames.

For normal everyday watching having a higher refresh rate (hz) does nothing besides repeat frames. Having it repeat frames does not increase smoothness. But those fake 120Hz tv's have smoothing technology to make the 30fps tv show look smoother than it is even though it is just putting transition images as a frame. It does help with smoothness to an extent. You would NEVER want this as a gaming monitor because for it to do so it introduces an large amount of input lag. Which is why some of those TV's have a 'game mode' It gets ride of that smoothing technology so you don't have a 1-2 second delay from input on the controller to the image on the screen.

That's why for Sports you get a 500/600hz plasma because sports is displayed at 50fps so it goes into 500/600 evenly 1 for 1 without having 1 frame 2 times and and another frame once. It can make the fast panning camera and movement seem a little bit smoother without the motion blur.

Resolution wise HD channel you get from your TV provider are a mix between 720p(1280x720) and 1080i(1920x1080). P meaning progressive and I meaning interlaced. It depends on the channel. Bluray will always look nicer even a 720p blu ray will look nicer than a 1080i cable channel because it is not just about how many pixels are in the image but the bit rate of the video. I don't know the bitrate of what cable tv is at but a blu-ray picture has a bitrate of about 20-30 MB/s. Hence why the movies are 20-40GB. The bitrate is how much information is happening per second. The higher the number the more detail that is going into the image. The better things look without it getting blurry. Side note same with music MP3 vs FLAC there is a MAJOR difference in file size because of the bitrate. With music and TV the converting of a higher format to a smaller format has a algorithm that helps take away the small things that most people won't notice. That's why audiofiles like lossless music because you can hear sounds that just are not in mp3's because they have been ommited to allow for a smaller bitrate and thus a smaller file size.

TV Contrast ratio, how black the black really is, is different from one tv manufactuer to another. They each of different techniques and ways to measure it. So I would only use that number when compairing the same brand of tv's. TV A might have a contrast ratio of 10,000:1 which might be the same as TV B 200,000:1. The higher the number the deeper the blacks will be so and the nicer the image it will be.

I am by no means an expert on TV's if anything here is wrong please correct it so I and others can learn more this is just some basic of what I have learned over the years.

thanks, very helpful :D