Laptop connects to some websites, but not others.

pipnina

Yesterday my sister got her new laptop (her old one had a CPU fan that stopped working and it was only working by this point because I took the back off and poked it, plus it had had a few issues in the recent past) but it seems to hate everything on the internet apart from two websites: Tumblr and Facebook

Every other website just doesn't load at all, it gets stuck trying to connect to them and then times out after 15 seconds~ I've checked with pings to make sure it's not having network reliability issues (it's on wireless, after all) and ll of the pings work fine both from her computer to mine and mine to hers.

I've tried turning it off and on again and changing her IP on the network. None of this has changed anything.

If anyone knows anything about what could be wrong, I'd love to know. I don't know if I can take more "FIX IT, PIP, FIX IT" Sometimes being the hobbyist in the house just causes you trouble.

~pipnina

(p.s. her old laptop caused us to find this image of the cat, so things not all bad)

http://i.imgur.com/62fEyM0.jpg

If it was me I would just locate all the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer's website and put a fresh copy of windows on there, laptops come with a load of bloatwear pre-installed often anyway, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone really.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

First make sure it isn't a Date & time issue

This is a signature.

Hi, this is pipnina's sister, posting from our dads laptop. The problem I am having is bizzare, frankly. When I load chrome my laptop connects instantly to any page within tumblr or facebook; however no other website will open for me at all. I keep getting a 'connection timed out' error on all other pages I have tried - including pretty standard ones like google, youtube and the BBC. On internet explorer, NO websites will load, not even facebook and tumblr.

The only connection I can think of is that I have used facebook and tumblr since setting up the laptop, but haven't really used anything else yet.

I am rather at a loss as to what to do. The date and time are correct. Pip has changed my IP address and done his 'ping' things and he seems to think it isnt my connection to the network thats at fault. I have cleared my cookies and history, and I have turned the laptop on and off again multiple times. I would do a virus scan, but I only have the preinstalled McAfee that came with the laptop and I can't get it to open.

I'm not sure how I'd get drivers off the manufacturers website as I can't connect to the manufacturers website! Unless there is some other way that I just don't know of, as I am by no means an expert at any of this.

If it helps, my laptop is a acer aspire es1-512 (which I know isnt the best quality laptop in the world, but I am not really a techy person and I only wanted basic!) It's running windows 8.1, and our internet is provided by virgin media.

Every other device in the house is running internet as normal, but I just keep timing out. I'd love to know why. And I would really love to be able to get back online so I can redownload office to keep my job applications going.

Sounds like your DNS is being redirected. try doing a ping to google from this laptop and from one that works (quickly google change their IP's) and see if the IP it pings is tin the same range.

you could try going to the command prompt and doing IPCONFIG /flushdns

I'd also check chrome for any odd looking extensions and run malwarebytes 

Hi guys, just letting you know its all better! The laptop installed 110 updates when it shut down tonight, and since then everything has been loading normally. Thanks for taking the time to give advice though, I appreciate it!