To pre-order, or not to.

FreeDiver

Now that steam offers refunds, is there any reason not to pre-order games?

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

To boycott the practice of locking away game content to give """""exclusive content""""" to preorderers.

Don't ever pre-order.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

i never pre order games personally. (you never know it its a good game or if its bad)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

i never pre order games personally. (you never know it its a good game or if its bad)

But now there's less risk with refunds.

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

To boycott the practice of locking away game content to give """""exclusive content""""" to preorderers.

Fair point.

But now there's less risk with refunds.

Its not even about the risk its the shitty practice of locking content behind a pre-order wall and segregating the gaming population 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't pre-order games that you are even slightly unsure will be crap. First time in my life I pre-ordered the Witcher 3 and I did not regret it because I was absolutely sure it will be fully working and polished. It is. If you want to get Fallout 4, don't- you have no idea how it will play out.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Now that steam offers refunds, is there any reason not to pre-order games?

You can't get a refund when preordering, unless you do it less than 14 days before the game comes out, since the refund applies only to games bought in the last 14 days with less than 2 hours of playtime.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

You can't get a refund when preordering, unless you do it less than 14 days before the game comes out, since the refund applies only to games bought in the last 14 days with less than 2 hours of playtime.

I think it's 14 days when the game comes out not when you pre-order.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I think it's 14 days when the game comes out not when you pre-order.

That would be pretty cool.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Don't pre-order games that you are even slightly unsure will be crap. First time in my life I pre-ordered the Witcher 3 and I did not regret it because I was absolutely sure it will be fully working and polished. It is. If you want to get Fallout 4, don't- you have no idea how it will play out.

That makes no sense, there is no rule for one game and not for the other

Witcher 3 had tons of complaints on launch, you had no IDEA how it was going to come out, it could have been completely fucked

Why not trust fallout 4? if you can trust Witcher 3?

You either pre-order.. or you dont ... not just picking some over others you arbitrarily choose as "trustworthy"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Only pre-order games if u are dying to play them.

If its just an interesting looking game and/or u never played such genre before, wait for reviews, watch YouTube AMD twitch to make your decision after the release.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I don't preorder simply because the content you get for pre-ordering is often not even that great. Also at the first day there might be problems with servers and a lot of bugs, so I rather wait a few days or even months when the game is cheaper.

Just pre-ordered Fallout 4. The hype got me. I love Fallout games. As the last person said, pre-order games if you are dying to play them ^^ 

You can refund anytime during the pre-order and you get the normal 14 day 2 hours deal when it comes out.

WGkuXpY.png

Nuff said...

s54Yquw.png

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

This TotalBiscuit video is worth watching. I think he makes some good points against pre-ordering even with refunds. 

EDIT: Specifically around the 9:05 mark.

This TotalBiscuit video is worth watching. I think he makes some good points against pre-ordering even with refunds. 

It's amazing how everyone always points to total biscuit regarding pre orders etc.

All he really goes on about is morals and how it's bad.

Frankly, if you know you will be getting the game, then pre irder it if you want to.

The fact that refunds are now available, there is no reason not to frankly.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

It's amazing how everyone always points to total biscuit regarding pre orders etc.

Frankly, if you know you will be getting the game, then pre irder it if you want to.

It's not necessarily about morality, it's common sense.

If you pre-order a game, which is usually more expensive than it is at launch, and you find out the game has problems 2+ hours then you will not be entitled to a refund under Steam's new refund policy.

If you wait until the game has launched, when it's usually cheaper, you are at least gambling with less money. Better yet, by then there's usually a decent number of reviews, critiques, let's play's etc  for you to have some idea about whether or not the game is worth playing.

Even if a pre-order offers bonus content, you can usually get it cheaper at a later time or earn it by progressing through the game. If that bonus content / DLC is forever lock behind a pre-order wall then there's a risk of segregating the gaming population as @ShadowCaptain has already pointed out.  

The problem is with games like Mortal Combat X when a character is locked behind a Pre-Order wall, fair eonugh you can offer a poster or a discount on DLC or something, but locking content behind pre-order walls is BULLSHIT

And the amount of "please pre-order" trailers that are so far off the mark is getting stupid

If you pre-order you are basically saying "we accept all your bullshit and are blind sheep with money" - we already get treated like cash cows  from the big developers, without us giving them money before they even release the fucking game!

If pre-ordering was just a case of reserving a copy, (which is pointless since digital copies are basically infinite) and getting a discount for ordering early, fine - but its almost NEVER the case, and I absolutely hate that practice

The point is, we are trying to send a message to developers and publishers "that shit dont fly anymore, we will buy your game when you prove its worth out money"     pre-ordering is going "lel lel look we buy your hype have our cash"

Shit I have seen "pre order our game" without there even being a trailer out!! they  are like "this game is coming, give us all your money now" !!!!

THAT SAID (also TL:DR version)

People can do what the fuck they want, if you 100% are going to get the game and play it, regardless of its quality, then fair enough, go ahead, but honestly its something that should die, pre-ordering started because physical copies would sell out in shops, no longer the case with digital- so pre-ordering has become a shit show of locking off content to force people to pre-order the game to get the full experience 

The problem is with games like Mortal Combat X when a character is locked behind a Pre-Order wall, fair eonugh you can offer a poster or a discount on DLC or something, but locking content behind pre-order walls is BULLSHIT

And the amount of "please pre-order" trailers that are so far off the mark is getting stupid

If you pre-order you are basically saying "we accept all your bullshit and are blind sheep with money" - we already get treated like cash cows  from the big developers, without us giving them money before they even release the fucking game!

If pre-ordering was just a case of reserving a copy, (which is pointless since digital copies are basically infinite) and getting a discount for ordering early, fine - but its almost NEVER the case, and I absolutely hate that practice

The point is, we are trying to send a message to developers and publishers "that shit dont fly anymore, we will buy your game when you prove its worth out money"     pre-ordering is going "lel lel look we buy your hype have our cash"

Shit I have seen "pre order our game" without there even being a trailer out!! they  are like "this game is coming, give us all your money now" !!!!

THAT SAID (also TL:DR version)

People can do what the fuck they want, if you 100% are going to get the game and play it, regardless of its quality, then fair enough, go ahead, but honestly its something that should die, pre-ordering started because physical copies would sell out in shops, no longer the case with digital- so pre-ordering has become a shit show of locking off content to force people to pre-order the game to get the full experience 

It's not necessarily about morality, it's common sense.

If you pre-order a game, which is usually more expensive than it is at launch, and you find out the game has problems 2+ hours then you will not be entitled to a refund under Steam's new refund policy.

If you wait until the game has launched, when it's usually cheaper, you are at least gambling with less money. Better yet, by then there's usually a decent number of reviews, critiques, let's play's etc  for you to have some idea about whether or not the game is worth playing.

Even if a pre-order offers bonus content, you can usually get it cheaper at a later time or earn it by progressing through the game. If that bonus content / DLC is forever lock behind a pre-order wall then there's a risk of segregating the gaming population as @ShadowCaptain has already pointed out.  

I get what both you guys are saying, I don't pre order every game I want, but games like gta v fallout 4 (maybe) project cars are all game I knew I would be getting.

I had the money prior to the games release (about 2 weeks) and pre ordered them.

I only pre order the games I know I will be getting.

On to the subject of games launch with major bugs etc, whilst I agree on this, (looking at you Ubisoft)

lets not forget about how some games have been great when they have launched and then been broken months after release thanks to patches etc causing more bugs on in-balances.

I just recently bought mortal kombat, I felt like even though I never pre ordered it just buying it after release was a gamble, but I'm happy with it although I hear it had a god awful launch.

And yeah, if I had the money at the time I probably would of pre ordered it and would of been fooked..

Maybe it's the old console side of me that's transferred over to pc,

This

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build