Huge stain under the EK waterblock

Hi. Today I planned on cleaning all my water cooling parts and ran into this huge stain under the EK waterblock. This must have caused by the included thermal paste. Has this ever happened to you? Should I contact EK?post-69629-0-48694700-1433332827_thumb.j

post-69629-0-81044700-1433332854_thumb.j

post-69629-0-44895400-1433332874_thumb.j

dont worry about it, just clean it with some iso prop alcohol 

it should not cause any issue, bit can't say that I have seen thermal paste stain like that before...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If it doesn't clean off with alcohol, just lap it. (Use 600-1000 grit sandpaper taped onto a glass table and push it back and forth turning it every minute or so until it's nice and shiny.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

dont worry about it, just clean it with some iso prop alcohol

it should not cause any issue, bit can't say that I have seen thermal paste stain like that before...

If it doesn't clean off with alcohol, just lap it. (Use 600-1000 grit sandpaper taped onto a glass table and push it back and forth turning it every minute or so until it's nice and shiny.)

I tried the isopropyl alcohol. Nothing has changed. Should I get a new better thermal paste? Now that this happened, I don't think I wanna use the thermal paste that was provided with EK

It looks like a copper block so if alcohol doesn't do the trick, you could try with some ketchup or vinegar.

The thing that I don't understand, is that it looks like there's a drip pattern that ends on the edge of the block.  TIM isn't a liquid....

It looks like a copper block so if alcohol doesn't do the trick, you could try with some ketchup or vinegar.

The thing that I don't understand, is that it looks like there's a drip pattern that ends on the edge of the block.  TIM isn't a liquid....

I will try it out. There was thermal paste at the edges of the processor as well. So I guess I had put more paste than what was needed? That caused it to drip?

Tried vinegar and ketchup. Nothing has changed. It's still the same. Do u think its something else that has to do with the paste?

I will try it out. There was thermal paste at the edges of the processor as well. So I guess I had put more paste than what was needed? That caused it to drip?

That's possible.

Let me know if you're able to clean it up with the solutions I told you.  If it doesn't help, I might have other solutions.

As for the provided TIM that comes with our CPU blocks, I always use it and it's a good TIM.

Tried vinegar and ketchup. Nothing has changed. It's still the same. Do u think its something else that has to do with the paste?

Already??

You must let them work on the copper.  Apply ketchup, let it rest for an hour or so then brush it with a toothbrush

Already??

You must let them work on the copper.  Apply ketchup, let it rest for an hour or so then brush it with a toothbrush

Alright. I will try that out and will keep u updated.

Already??

You must let them work on the copper. Apply ketchup, let it rest for an hour or so then brush it with a toothbrush

Hey. I tried the ketchup method. The stain have decreased but the golden color on the block has gone and now it's silver color. What do u think?

??? It's bare copper how could that be possible?

Can you take a picture of it?

I couldn't helped but notice the scratch marks all over the block have you rubbed the block with sand paper before. Because it looks like galvanic corrosion to me.

I couldn't helped but notice the scratch marks all over the block have you rubbed the block with sand paper before. Because it looks like galvanic corrosion to me.

No. I have not used anything on it. Just remove the cover, applied the paste and fixed the block. Does that happen due to thermal paste?

No. I have not used anything on it. Just remove the cover, applied the paste and fixed the block. Does that happen due to thermal paste?

Never... post a picture after the ketchup cleanup... it is pure copper, it should change colors to silver

??? It's bare copper how could that be possible?

Can you take a picture of it?

Here you go. The place I had applied ketchup now is in silver color compared to the other. Have a look. What do you think?

post-69629-0-88471500-1433396291_thumb.j

post-69629-0-14142000-1433396311_thumb.j

post-69629-0-42479600-1433396339_thumb.j

Never... post a picture after the ketchup cleanup... it is pure copper, it should change colors to silver

I just posted it. Please have a look. Thanks.

No it shouldn't unless there was something wrong with the TIM

No it shouldn't unless there was something wrong with the TIM

Oh okay. I have attached the picture of the thermal paste. Do u think I should ask EK for a replacement?

post-69629-0-85987300-1433396766_thumb.j

Oh okay. I have attached the picture of the thermal paste. Do u think I should ask EK for a replacement?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would because there is something seriously wrong. @EK Luc

Just a curious thing if you rub your finger around the outer edges of the marking(stain) does it feel like the metal is worn away or a small lump?

I would because there is something seriously wrong. @EK Luc

Just a curious thing if you rub your finger around the outer edges of the marking(stain) does it feel like the metal is worn away or a small lump?

It feels like it's worn. And rubbing the finger in the stained region feels rough compared to the other areas.

It feels like it's worn. And rubbing the finger in the stained region feels rough compared to the other areas.

I would defiantly say its galvanic corrosion. If any Decant person from EKWB seen this it would be ringing alarm bells.

How long had the Block been fitted for before you removed it to clean it?  

I would defiantly say its galvanic corrosion. If any Decant person from EKWB seen this it would be ringing alarm bells.

How long had the Block been fitted for before you removed it to clean it?

Is there anyone working at EK who is on this forum?

The block was on there since June/July 2014.

Is there anyone working at EK who is on this forum?

The block was on there since June/July 2014.

Sorry I don't know of anyone.

Try to email them with the pictures. info@ekwb.com