SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I think you Should Change the name. There is a company with the same name already.

You mean "Sentry"? This isn't the name of our company, but only one of our designs. I don't see a problem with having the same name of the product like other company's name, unless we will be making the same type of products. What is more, i also can't find a pc-case which name is "sentry". The name of our case was voted in the poll, so the community chose it. If You find a serial pc-case with the same name as our case, than let us know. Then we'll have to rethink it. Thanks.

How will the temp fare with 980 ti?

Considering that's a 250W TDP gpu I think it might throttle a bit but we'll have to see how the thermals will look for the upcoming final prototype.

I don't think there should be any problems with vertical position but it might get hot and throttle a bit for open air cooled ones in horizontal position.

But that's just like Zombi said - it's a company name and it's not even the same as our product name. It's not like we ripped off their name too - sentry is a word straight out of dictionary.

But that's just like Zombi said - it's a company name and it's not even the same as our product name. It's not like we ripped off their name too - sentry is a word straight out of dictionary.

I was looking out for you guys. Could you guys put your cases on Amazon?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

But this case's name is "SENTEY" not "SENTRY". If we would check every possibility that someone would search for similar pc-case name, than we'll be still finding another exotic names. 
Some time ago Saper made a straw poll with the names for our case. We were picking those names for about 2 months. We were checking if there is some other similar type of product with the same name, if there are now law restrictions for it, or even we've checked how would web positioning look like for it. We've found something like 10 names and people from LTT and hardforum chose "Sentry". I wasn't convinced to this name, but my brother and other forum users were...so it stayed. 

Thank You for Your support. We appreciate it. If You will find some other reasons to change our pc-case's name, let us know. Thanks.

Could you guys put your cases on Amazon?

To put something on amazon we'd have to stock up cases and we don't have the funds for that yet. We'll have to start with pre-order/crowdfunding model and amazon doesn't support that.

We'll have to decide between paypal and indiegogo eventually to process the orders.

Considering that's a 250W TDP gpu I think it might throttle a bit but we'll have to see how the thermals will look for the upcoming final prototype.

I don't think there should be any problems with vertical position but it might get hot and throttle a bit for open air cooled ones in horizontal position.

Interesting, one more question.

What i5 or i3 (skylake) do you reckon optimized for the build?

Interesting, one more question.

What i5 or i3 (skylake) do you reckon optimized for the build?

We yet have to figure that out about skylake but I'd say that every non-K/not overclocked should work just fine, meaning up to 65W cpu's shouldn't make any problems with thermals so there's i5-6600 and i7-6700 to pick.

90W+ cpu's might start having problems cooling under load depending on how efficient the cpu cooler itself will be in pushing the hot air out of the case.

The reason is simple - its somewhat open space for the motherboard area without any additional fans inducing the positive or negative pressure to enforce the airflow so there's only the cpu fan and convection moving the air inside. If you remember valve's original steam machine prototype, they made custom plastic shroud around the cpu cooler to direct the outgoing hot air. You can only do that in pre built machines since you're picking the motherboards and coolers for the whole batch of units like HP or DELL but for a standalone case for custom builds it won't do.

We yet have to figure that out about skylake but I'd say that every non-K/not overclocked should work just fine, meaning up to 65W cpu's shouldn't make any problems with thermals so there's i5-6600 and i7-6700 to pick.

90W+ cpu's might start having problems cooling under load depending on how efficient the cpu cooler itself will be in pushing the hot air out of the case.

The reason is simple - its somewhat open space for the motherboard area without any additional fans inducing the positive or negative pressure to enforce the airflow so there's only the cpu fan and convection moving the air inside. If you remember valve's original steam machine prototype, they made custom plastic shroud around the cpu cooler to direct the outgoing hot air. You can only do that in pre built machines since you're picking the motherboards and coolers for the whole batch of units like HP or DELL but for a standalone case for custom builds it won't do.

Thanks for the input.

safe to assume this time it's the final changes for the case?

Thanks for the input.

safe to assume this time it's the final changes for the case?

I think so. We've researched every possibility for improvements and we just need to get the manufacturing process ready.

Of course there's things we have to check out on the prototype to be sure but fitting components won't change at this point.

Yes, it does. We didn't make such colour version for the photos yet but with next prototype we'll probably do that too.

It should look close to this:

72vlccTl.jpg

qKhzMtZl.jpg

All details will be black like in the white version but the main body will be black.

It probably won't happen, at least not for the initial run because of the window thickness and metal cover integrity.

I wasn't a huge fan of how it looked in white but oh man... that looks so good in black.

Is the colour of the LED around the power switch customizable? I'd love a blue or green...

We'll be polling about the led colors when we're ready to manufacture. Our supplier MOQ of each type is 20 units so there's need to be 20 people minimum wanting particular color. Also if you want something different and won't get it shipped with the case because there's not enough people wanting that color then you should be able to get that kind of switch easily but it'll cost you a bit more than what we're paying while ordering bigger amounts.

Here's what those led lights could look like:

Angel-Eye-Metal-LED-illuminated-Momentar

Also note that we're using the switch with black plastic body.

The hole for the switch has 16mm diameter

I had a refrence 980 ti and with 3 140mm fans pointed directly at it, as well as a big exhaust fan. the thing would throttle under almost any game given enough time. so in this case you could use it and it would preform pretty well, just keep in mind that temprature isn't good for the life of it. 

For the reference blower 980ti there's not much you can do with throttling since you can't pump the air through it faster. Also note that those cards are designed to hit 80 degrees with turbo and throttle unless capped with vsync, fps limit or some other bottleneck. Open air coolers have the advantage of not hitting the temp cap if the case itself has proper airflow.

• 3 weeks later...

Signed up purely to follow this, I love the case and can't wait to use it. I will be ordering this as soon as it comes available.

I now ask progress to?

I went today to our manufacturer to see why we still didn't get our 5th (production) prototype. It looks like they just bought some new fiber laser-cutting machines and they were switching whole their production to them. I talked with their technologist and we're on a list for this week. We'll get our Sentry tomorrow or on Monday (depends when they will make structural paint coating).

• 2 weeks later...

*Little update*

Yesterday i went to our manufacturer and.... we have it !!! :D

At this point we think we will use a structural paint with bigger graininess, than we got with this case, but it looks awesome. This one is black and after the weekend we'll order the white version, which will be sent to Linus for the first pre-production "control check".

I'm not posting any new photos, because we've promised we won't be making any of them with potato phones. On Saturday i'm coming home and we'll make some better quality photos with our new DSLR, so maybe on Monday we'll give You one, or two of them... ok maybe three :D

This is exactly the case I've been searching for my htpc, I think that I will buy one for sure.

I didn't read all thread, only the first and last page, any word on the price? Any rough estimate will be nice.

Also what power supply can house this thing?

Thanks in advance :)

Initially it was supposed to be below $150 but after consulations we decided to pick high quality riser and it bumped the price tag a little among other smaller details that also changed the final construction cost. I hope we can fit into something like $169 for the initial run.

As for the power supply you can go for SFX-L or short SFX. The latter one will be louder because of the smaller fan but will let you have additional 2.5" drive slot.

I'm in,if it's available soon!

If it's released before https://dan-cases.com/ that is. I do find the Sentry case more suited to my needs than Dan's A4-SFX, but I'm impatient:) and the Dan case is also awesome.

Little update:

This weekend we made those photos i promised. We've made several benchmarks and at this moment everything looks great. 

Maybe tomorrow we'll make a similar gallery like last time, but for now here You have a little teaser. 
We hope You'll like it :D

sxVcQOgl.jpg

6 hours ago, ZombiPL said:

sxVcQOgl.jpg

LOVE the new look! Those grills look great and I love that it doesn't look so unfinished and rough like some of the cuts did before. :) great job!