SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Looks great, can't wait for the upcoming review from Linus :D

Thanks, can't wait either :)

Hey guys,

First of all I wanted to say I'm really excited for this case and can't wait to see the final design. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with :

1) You have already mentioned you will try to find a way for dust filters to be applied, have you come up with the solution?

2) My main concern with your case design is the PSU placement, from the angles the pictures show it will be exhausting hot air back into the case, for me this is a big issue due to thermals, so is this being addressed? is this only an issue with SFX, so if I use the 130mm SFX-L will the exhaust be closer to the case edge?

Thank you.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

Hey guys,

First of all I wanted to say I'm really excited for this case and can't wait to see the final design. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with :

1) You have already mentioned you will try to find a way for dust filters to be applied, have you come up with the solution?

2) My main concern with your case design is the PSU placement, from the angles the pictures show it will be exhausting hot air back into the case, for me this is a big issue due to thermals, so is this being addressed? is this only an issue with SFX, so if I use the 130mm SFX-L will the exhaust be closer to the case edge?

Thank you.

1) We're figuring out the filters, vents etc for the final design currently and it's a big one to tackle. All other things are ready, I think. We either need to find a proper and not pricey way with filters that won't kill the thermals or figure out smaller vent holes manufacturing. That's the last thing stopping us from manufacturing at this point.

2) We actually didn't have any problems with hot air from psu being pushed back inside the case. In vertical position cpu was only 3 degrees hotter than in horizontal position and that was with cheap and hot OEM 430W sfx psu.

SFX-L psu is actually really cold even under load so the air it's pumping out is not so hot in this configuration. There's really a lot of headroom on 500W sfx-l when running 150W gpu like 970 or even 180W R9-270X.

The psu mount isn't moving and the distance from the outer wall is constant. it's required to have space for psu plug and usb connector for all of the psu C14 connector locations. If it were all located like in those SFX-L we could think of moving it 14mm closer to the outer wall but it would mean cramping those cables there even more.

1) We're figuring out the filters, vents etc for the final design currently and it's a big one to tackle. All other things are ready, I think. We either need to find a proper and not pricey way with filters that won't kill the thermals or figure out smaller vent holes manufacturing. That's the last thing stopping us from manufacturing at this point.

2) We actually didn't have any problems with hot air from psu being pushed back inside the case. In vertical position cpu was only 3 degrees hotter than in horizontal position and that was with cheap and hot OEM 430W sfx psu.

SFX-L psu is actually really cold even under load so the air it's pumping out is not so hot in this configuration. There's really a lot of headroom on 500W sfx-l when running 150W gpu like 970 or even 180W R9-270X.

The psu mount isn't moving and the distance from the outer wall is constant. it's required to have space for psu plug and usb connector for all of the psu C14 connector locations. If it were all located like in those SFX-L we could think of moving it 14mm closer to the outer wall but it would mean cramping those cables there even more.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

1) Filters : For me even though this is a premium case I would be happy for it to come without filters if it means increasing the size of the case too much, I would prefer to have the case as small as possible and use external filters like the Demcifilter, would these fit inside the case with the current case dimensions? [i don't mean the 140mm size, I am talking in terms of how thick they are] having them inside would improve the looks.

2) PSU : Ok that's good to know, The thermals was the only thing I was concerned about, thank you.

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

I don't have any demciflex ones but something similar could fit if magnets were on the sides. There's 0.5mm gap between psu and top cover for that. Putting magnetic filters on the inside should be okay if the vent holes are small enough so you won't accidentally detach the filter inside the case.

Also there's the thing with small cramped cases - putting filters on the outlets without fans is not a good idea since it'll slow down the airflow a lot making the fans inside recycle hot air a lot.

I'm just going to keep posting questions as they pop into my head, sorry if it gets annoying but I like to research before I buy.

Noise : Will you please do a demo video of the final product showing system noise when idle and under load so we can get a rough idea, ideally with a reference GTX 970/980 and a Noctua NH-L9-i (I suspect that is the cpu cooler most will use due to height)

Case : Is it possible to order different colours, like a blue powder coat instead of just black/silver? this would be a really nice feature even if it costs a little more, maybe if this is released on kick starter you can do reward levels so you know enough people will order a set colour so the price can be kept low, just an idea.

Thank you,

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm just going to keep posting questions as they pop into my head, sorry if it gets annoying but I like to research before I buy.

Noise : Will you please do a demo video of the final product showing system noise when idle and under load so we can get a rough idea, ideally with a reference GTX 970/980 and a Noctua NH-L9-i (I suspect that is the cpu cooler most will use due to height)

Case : Is it possible to order different colours, like a blue powder coat instead of just black/silver? this would be a really nice feature even if it costs a little more, maybe if this is released on kick starter you can do reward levels so you know enough people will order a set colour so the price can be kept low, just an idea.

Thank you,

As for the noise video - We could do the video on that but I think it's better if linus includes that in the review. I'm assuming you want a video where we use some noise measuring tools/apps.

I think from our perspective it's better to do a noise map with distance from the rig when sitting in front of tv and on your desk in such config rather than a video.

As for the cpu cooler - the case isn't such cramped you'd need NH-L9 unless your cpu socket is close to the pci-e slot with chipset on the opposite side. It fits boxed intel cooler without problem and we're still waiting for cryorig C7 to check it out since it's supposed to be next big hit on low profile cooling.

The custom paint is possible but we'd have to figure out how much of you want different colours. We'll probably do that after reviews. If there's big numbers for lets say red and blue then it might work. Otherwise if there's few people wanting custom colour we might do that but with no return policy as that would be a custom item we most likely wouldn't sell to other client upon return.

Anyway we're still not sure if we want that additional customization just yet so most likely only black and white versions for initial run.

Now ask what the problem?

2.5hdd several hard disk can be installed? Will delay sale

We're working on last piece of the puzzle which is vents optimisation vs filtering vs performance vs manufacturing possibility and meanwhile we're thinking if there's any more room for optimization of the layout and hard drive mounts. Last two weeks we were quite overloaded with other work.

We're planning to launch at the end of the year but life shows you can't plan everything perfectly. At this point I'd rather make this properly from the start instead of launching it asap and making revisions later down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Will the current progress to where? Already determine the amount of it?
It would be closer to 149, or 99 if they would increase the amount?
Soon it will be open when trafficked or direct?
I have a good group of computer parts has forced not expect the
 I am waiting for you in the mini-cabinet
  Will you be there where the production casing?
2.5HDD or only install one?

Will the current progress to where? Already determine the amount of it?

It would be closer to 149, or 99 if they would increase the amount?

Soon it will be open when trafficked or direct?

I have a good group of computer parts has forced not expect the

I am waiting for you in the mini-cabinet

Will you be there where the production casing?

2.5HDD or only install one?

I've been answering your questions over and over and you're asking again.

At this point I think the case price tag will be most likely a bit more than 149 - we'll have to wait for the pricing on final metal pieces.

We've got the designs made, hopefully final and it looks like we'll order final prototype next week if we manage to prepare some minor tooling required for proper welding positioning.

The case will be sold directly from our site as pre-order on each batch. using reseller is out of the question since we have no funds to manufacture huge batches and send them to stock up the stores.

Amount of 2.5" hdd's will depend on the gpu size and psu type - you will be able to fit two of them with SFX and with SFX-L you might be able to fit two but with one under the gpu.

I would buy, but what to put in it?

I'd go with i7 - T version, cryorig C7, GTX 970, 16GB of ram, M.2 SSD for system + 2.5" hdd for data or with lower budget for i3, GTX 960, 8GB of ram and 250GB 2.5" ssd both with SFX-L

It looks like we've got our hopefully final designs ready - Zombi did those last week. We're going to make some tooling required for precise part positioning during welding and then we'll deliver those to metal shop and order final prototypes.

We still want to get the prototype to Linus ASAP but considering how much time we've got till Christmas, we're not sure if we can make it. Anyway we're now closer than ever and it doesn't look like there's anything more to resolve that might delay the whole development from the design side so it's just about how fast can we manage to make the final prototypes.

Finally about the design decisions we had to make recently: it looks like we're going to drop the idea of big holes and filters and make standard perforation on punch machine since the previous approach looked too complicated for us to manufacture.

Perforations will look like this:

TtKuNm4.jpg
WjF4MXK.jpg
XXAtF3T.jpg
qibqSDq.jpg

REALLY NICE CASE. 

What u could improve on:

1. Round the edges a bit more. Also give it a  bit more width.

2. Make sure it is able to be position flat like with the bid side against the surface.

3. Add removable magnetic fan filters for ALL fan areas.

REALLY NICE CASE. 

What u could improve on:

1. Round the edges a bit more. Also give it a  bit more width.

2. Make sure it is able to be position flat like with the bid side against the surface.

3. Add removable magnetic fan filters for ALL fan areas.

1. The idea is to make it slim and small as possible. Why would we make it wider then? 

There's no room for making them more round - it'll look like it is on the photos, it's just how the machining works. The recent images just show the lines in the assembly so it feels rough a bit.

2. I don't get what you mean, can you explain what you mean? If you didn't notice there's an air intake on the bottom so it can't be laid flat without stands.

3. We have no manufacturing capabilities to go with custom magnetic fan filters for this case. It's just that.

There's literally no room for changes at this point if we want to release it asap.

Is there likely to be ready to pre-order before Christmas?
There Will 99 be counted with 149 euros or dollars?
I'm looking forward to this HTPC

Is there likely to be ready to pre-order before Christmas?

There Will 99 be counted with 149 euros or dollars?

I'm looking forward to this HTPC

they've answered this several times. 

its possible it will be ere before christmas - they can't be sure yet.

it will be around $150 US Dollars

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on the case?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Looks promising, I like the idea of building a SSF PC but I just get aggravated building in small cases. With this said it looks great.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

Any update on the case?

We've made a new base tooling for manufacturing of this case, but we have to change it because it won't last long. When we got offers from our subcontractors, we decided we have to make a batch of 100 pcs in order to make a good price. With actual design of base tools, after making 20 cases we should probably make new tools, because of degradation of the old ones. It means we have to change the tools for the ones which will last longer. I did a new project of them and now we're waiting for them. 

Because we are not a "pc case manufacturing company", we have to wait every time we improve something. This time this "something" are two basing tools which are used for positioning several Sentry elements during welding. I hope we'll get those elements this week, so we could send them to our manufacturer and make the order of 5th prototype of Sentry at the start of next week. It means, if we'll be lucky, we'll get our new pc case before Xmas. It also means, because of this "tools delay" we won't send the case to Linus for initial review before Xmas. Sorry, but when you don't have your own manufacturing company, than you have to wait for everything.

To sum up, things we have to get/do before releasing the case:

1. Getting proper (designed by us) base tools for our manufacturer.

2. Order 5th prototype of Sentry in a black finish.

3. Photo review of the black sentry (similar to the one made for the 4th prototype (http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/), but with better quality photos + shileded riser, USB 3.0 and new power cable)

4. Order 5th prototype of Sentry in a white finish, to check our manufacturer's repeatability (If the black Sentry quality and dimensions were ok, according to our design)

5. Linus 1st video review.

6. Preordering stage.

I'm sure this case is worth waiting a little bit longer to make it properly. We want to be sure You will be satisfied with what You'll get.

Neat :)

I can I magine this with a not too shabby i7 6700T and a GTX 970

That's actually the target and there's a photo with blower style 970 fitted inside on last page along with SFX-L psu and cables. I'm not sure if T versions (of skylake i7) are going to be a must, but I don't think going for K is a good idea.

Considering DDR4 will get us twice as much memory per stick as DDR3 we're looking at a machines with nice i7, 32GB of ram and mid range - high end gpu which sounds nice if you don't want to stream to your TV from pc in other room because of your own reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this Dead?

Nope :)  Just end of the year, so our manufacturers have many bigger orders than our small case, and we're at the end of the line... We've already made special positioning tools for Sentry, but those were ultra-small orders. Sentry itself needs more time in production, so we have to wait. With bigger batch (we plan 100 pcs per order), our manufacturer assured us, that there shouldn't be a problem with making it in 3 weeks (whole batch of course :)). We'll see how it goes. We really try to make it as fast as possible, but those are things which just don't depend on us.

Nope :)  Just end of the year, so our manufacturers have many bigger orders than our small case, and we're at the end of the line... We've already made special positioning tools for Sentry, but those were ultra-small orders. Sentry itself needs more time in production, so we have to wait. With bigger batch (we plan 100 pcs per order), our manufacturer assured us, that there shouldn't be a problem with making it in 3 weeks (whole batch of course :)). We'll see how it goes. We really try to make it as fast as possible, but those are things which just don't depend on us.

I think you Should Change the name. There is a company with the same name already.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein