Need To Clean Install Windows 7 As Replacing Motherboard

Paterson37

Hi guys!

I'm upgrading my motherboard and CPU from an Asus Rampage II Extreme and i7 920 to an Asus X99 Deluxe and i7 5820k.

I've been told is be best to put a clean install of Windows 7 on there.

I'm not 100% how to approach this. A few months back I cloned my old HDD onto a Samsung 850EVO as I wanted to avoid having to reinstall all my programs etc.

So, what's my best bet? Backing up my SSD onto an HDD, then installing Windows 7 and reinstalling everything? If so, what's the best backup software to use?

Or are there any other suggestions? Would I in fact be able to just ask the motherboard to boot from the SSD and take it from there without having to reinstalls Windows?

Thanks guys!!!

best would be a clean install. you'll spend more time trying to clone back and forth than going for a clean installation directly.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Doing a clean install what's the best way to back up all of my data and programs?

Doing a clean install what's the best way to back up all of my data and programs?

Imo by hand aka manually. Then again, I have moved away from using windows predefined save locations to most stuff for easier backupping. Most settings you'll find either under Users\<name>\Documents or Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming. Steam games have their own folder under \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\

Then there are savefiles/settings that can be exported from software or you just have to redo. Or use built-in sync ability like with Chrome and Firefox.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv