Intel to use the USB-C connector for Thunderbolt 3

This is going to be so awesome. Literally everything can be used with one port. I love standards :D

I cant wait to see USB-C on everything, especially phones. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Im just waiting for external GPU's for it.

With a bootcamp install it could be a proper gaming laptop?

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

This is great news and a big step in the right direction. I do see this possibly becoming confusing to the non tech savvy user though.

I wish the market had properly adopted the TB2 more. So much potential from it. Maybe it's Intel is to be blamed because of high licensing fees.

I doudt Intel is the problem here.The problem stands in the intrinsic nature of thunderbolt. The problem with thunderbolt 2 is that it had nothing to do with the mobile market and consumer market. It was designed for prosumers and marketed for prosumers, and the thunderbolt compliant products were also made for prosumers. All these limitations have made thunderbolt something that did not make sense as a standard. Now that it takes the type-C connector, it makes sense since the big market that is mobile market can now truly benefit from Thunderbolt.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

External GPUs on phones anyone? That could actually make mobile gaming take off... I mean all manufacturers have to do is include a USB Type-C in their designs and everything else besides the drivers (Google's part with android) should just work, since TB3 supports PCI-e. Or am I missing something here?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Finally (I hope) USB and thunderbolt will merge. Hoping all next gen AND CPUs and mobos will have them. Must have.

Do TB 3 and USB 3.1 use the same calbe?  I know they use the same connector, but surely the cables differ.

Do TB 3 and USB 3.1 use the same cable, I know they use the same Type-C connector, but surely the cables differ.

Can't wait for that to happen, hopefully soon!

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Do TB 3 and USB 3.1 use the same calbe?  I know they use the same connector, but surely the cables differ.

most likely different types of cables, as Thudnerbolt cables so far contained some ic/electronics (that is why they are so expensive ;) )

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still disappointed that this still hasn't been covered on the WAN show, I was really looking forward to Linus' opinion considering how he's just started the new office, and maybe perhaps 10Gbps connectivity via Thunderbolt would have been an interesting topic.

Honestly prefer thunderbolt connector over usb-c. It looks more durable. I wish intel wasn't doing this :/

Honestly prefer thunderbolt connector over usb-c. It looks more durable. I wish intel wasn't doing this :/

If we want the same connector/cable on everything, it's got to be able to fit on the side of ultrabooks and phones. The minidp/thunderbolt1/2 connector couldn't do that.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB