How to fix headphone rattle?

91wow

I have two pairs of headphones I like to use, my ATH m-30's and my ATH M-50's both very good, pretty high end audio headphones but both have developed a rattle with bass heavy music or bass heavy voices that I find quite annoying, It's a constant rattle and it is hard to not hear. Is their anyway to fix this? I know it could be a hair or something on the drivers but if it's not that what else could it be? I would really not like to have to buy a new pair of either since I have very little money since my GTX 590 purchase. I don't have my warranty's on either of them anymore so send them back to Audio Techncia is really a no go either. I'd love some help if any on this and I am sure many people have had this problem with headphones in the past as well if not still having it. Thanks!

I have two pairs of headphones I like to use, my ATH m-30's and my ATH M-50's both very good, pretty high end audio headphones but both have developed a rattle with bass heavy music or bass heavy voices that I find quite annoying, It's a constant rattle and it is hard to not hear. Is their anyway to fix this? I know it could be a hair or something on the drivers but if it's not that what else could it be? I would really not like to have to buy a new pair of either since I have very little money since my GTX 590 purchase. I don't have my warranty's on either of them anymore so send them back to Audio Techncia is really a no go either. I'd love some help if any on this and I am sure many people have had this problem with headphones in the past as well if not still having it. Thanks!

Sounds to me like what you could be experiencing is distortion. This can come from a few sources. Either the volume is too high and the drivers can't take it, the drivers are damaged or whatever amplifier you are running through (be it a soundcard, onboard audio or an external DAC or amp) is broken or crap. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Sounds to me like what you could be experiencing is distortion. This can come from a few sources. Either the volume is too high and the drivers can't take it, the drivers are damaged or whatever amplifier you are running through (be it a soundcard, onboard audio or an external DAC or amp) is broken or crap. 

My DAC is new, i got it a week ago and is decently highend. It might be volume, windows 8.1 seems to have everything extremely loud for what ever the hell reason. i'm not sure will look into it more.

My DAC is new, i got it a week ago and is decently highend. It might be volume, windows 8.1 seems to have everything extremely loud for what ever the hell reason. i'm not sure will look into it more.

Okay, sounds good. This kind of thing happens in cars a lot too. Components work themselves loose after a while of bassy use and then they begin to rattle. How long have you had your m30s and m50s?

being 2 headphones makes me think it's the source.

what dac/amp do you have?

sounds like too much power (watts) to me

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

being 2 headphones makes me think it's the source.

what dac/amp do you have?

I have a Fiio E10, but this happens even if I just listen to my ipod, or other music devices.. I'm thinking it might be a hair on the drivers cuz I have long hair, or it could be some dust or something, I take very good care of my headphones. my M30's are usually worn outside but never dropped or touched the ground, my M50's are always by my computer.

Okay, sounds good. This kind of thing happens in cars a lot too. Components work themselves loose after a while of bassy use and then they begin to rattle. How long have you had your m30s and m50s?

About a for the M50's and 8 months for the M30's. The M30's have a void warranty since i had the cable shortened (Professionally not my self) so those have no warranty and my M50's are out of their year.

About a for the M50's and 8 months for the M30's. The M30's have a void warranty since i had the cable shortened (Professionally not my self) so those have no warranty and my M50's are out of their year.

I'm thinking something is loose inside the headphones then. Seeing as their warranty is gone, it wouldn't hurt to open them up and have a look?

I'm thinking something is loose inside the headphones then. Seeing as their warranty is gone, it wouldn't hurt to open them up and have a look?

Yeah, thinking about doing that tomorrow. (7/21) since it is quite late here.

Yeah, thinking about doing that tomorrow. (7/21) since it is quite late here.

If that doesnt turn up anything, I'd try them with loads of different sources (loads of different stereos, amps, ipods, phones, etc) and at different volumes to see what's up.

If that doesnt turn up anything, I'd try them with loads of different sources (loads of different stereos, amps, ipods, phones, etc) and at different volumes to see what's up.

Will do, thanks for the help!

Will do, thanks for the help!

You're welcome. Tell me the results tomorrow :P

You're welcome. Tell me the results tomorrow :P

It was a hair on the drivers.... lol took them off and took a microfiber cloth to it and it's all fixed c:

It was a hair on the drivers.... lol took them off and took a microfiber cloth to it and it's all fixed c:

All sorted :P

well, glad it wasn't something serious.

Yeah me too, it a load off my mind and my wallet :P

Of note for headphone repair, Sennheiser earpads are sink washable with mild soap. Going to start washing these things monthly - so soft and velvety oooooooo.

I have a Fiio E10, but this happens even if I just listen to my ipod, or other music devices.. I'm thinking it might be a hair on the drivers cuz I have long hair, or it could be some dust or something, I take very good care of my headphones. my M30's are usually worn outside but never dropped or touched the ground, my M50's are always by my computer.

I have a Fiio E10 as well. On the right ear for my PortaPro certain bassy songs will rattle as well but I'm quite sure it might be a screw that is loose.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

• 1 year later...

ok so i found a fix for myself. so i just bought the headphones today and i bought the ath m50x. i notices a rattling noise on the left side which really pissed me off and i just wanted to try things to see if i could figure out what was the problem first. so. as past experiences that i had showed me, sometimes air pressure can help. here is what i mean. when the speaker cone gets deformed, it could help develop sounds. what i did was that without taking it apart i put where the speaker is on my mouth and i made sure i have a god seal and i pushed air in and that fixed it. literally. im not joking .its worth a try. but be careful you dont want to make it worse so start easy and work your way. mine got fixed by pulling air in and kind of "sucking the cone" lol and first try fixed it. so now i can have it as laud as i want without problems. if this helped you then please tell me.