[$1,500] Wooden Cabinet Mod [Advice Please]

ajgamer1

If you do something with acrylic I would suggest using a magnetic latch on door where you have matching neodymium magnets that attract to each other just flush to the surface of the acrylic and the cabinet so when lined up they stick together making for easy removal and install with no hinges or bolts.

Yeah that's the original idea. But do you feel this is good idea using a door or what do you prefer?

Split out your creativity. 

Also, How do you advice me to place the motherboard/SSD and HDD? I mean how can I hang the motherboard/SSD and HDD in it?

Thanks.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

Thanks for the reply. Inverting the motherboard can affect the performance of processor, mobo and GPU?

Thanks

I dont think that it will affect performance. I've seen it done around the net a few times in very high end builds.

another thing I was thinking of would be to create a horizontal shelf about 6 inches off the bottom of the space to put the psu, hard drives, optical drives and anything else you want to hide.  then you could orient the motherboard so that the I/o go straight out the back of the space. (or you could create a false back to take them wherever you want)

dont be afraid to mess with the orientation of the motherboard though!  I have my pc on its side because I prefer horizontal and also ATX motherboards and there arent a whole lot of cases for that. 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

another thing I was thinking of would be to create a horizontal shelf about 6 inches off the bottom of the space to put the psu, hard drives, optical drives and anything else you want to hide.  then you could orient the motherboard so that the I/o go straight out the back of the space. (or you could create a false back to take them wherever you want)

I was imagining the motherboard placed horizontally here. I dont think I made that clear

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I dont think that it will affect performance. I've seen it done around the net a few times in very high end builds.

dont be afraid to mess with the orientation of the motherboard though!  I have my pc on its side because I prefer horizontal and also ATX motherboards and there arent a whole lot of cases for that. 

Thanks for the reply Old_Chicken but I am not able to understand your idea.

Maybe I understood but taking you wrong and mess up everything. I will be really thankful if you can make a Paint Idea or like using Photoshop on my Case A Idea to tell me what you are talking about.

I am sorry ;( But do advice me.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

Yeah that's the original idea. But do you feel this is good idea using a door or what do you prefer?

Split out your creativity. 

Also, How do you advice me to place the motherboard/SSD and HDD? I mean how can I hang the motherboard/SSD and HDD in it?

Thanks.

It would basically be a sheet that magnetically latches in place, if you want a cleaner look that looks built in you can a slot cut into the wood shelf so the acrylic sits flush with the surface of the shelf or inset and using a wood frame line the edge to make it look like a picture frame or door.

I was imagining the motherboard placed horizontally here. I dont think I made that clear

Okay let me tell you few things. Placing motherboard horizontally may not be possible:

1. Space is not that enough to place it. It will be like tightly fit.

2. Placing horizontally, I won't be able to use the LED Strip around it just like Wall Mount Case have. (Yeah I am planning to do LED Strip also).

3. GPU is having WINDFORCE LED for Gigabyte, That is possible to be seen if placed vertically not inverted.

It would basically be a sheet that magnetically latches in place, if you want a cleaner look that looks built in you can a slot cut into the wood shelf so the acrylic sits flush with the surface of the shelf or inset and using a wood frame line the edge to make it look like a picture frame or door.

Okay Okay Picture Frame Good Good it will give mature look but if I just use the acrylic door without frame it will look more techie and modern according to me. I will see what looks better.

But yeah, Advice me the placement for the motherboard and it's I/O.

Inverting the Mobo is messing up with the WINDFORCE LED written on the Gigabyte's GPU. What do you suggest? How I should pass the cable from the mobo?

Right now Case B is winning but I got no idea how cool it would look because nobody is going to peek inside the table box for that they have to actually bend down. But if I go with the Case A, It's like a box infront of everyone and yeah it will look cool just like a masterpiece in the room. Don't know what to do?

@W-L I am also planning to use sliding channels which can slide out the board of the motherboard just like in a server we have the sliding the box out do the work once done, slide it in.

It's like a drawer which is having only the back panel without any front, horizontal panel on it. What do you say?

Right now Case B is winning but I got no idea how cool it would look because nobody is going to peek inside the table box for that they have to actually bend down. But if I go with the Case A, It's like a box infront of everyone and yeah it will look cool just like a masterpiece in the room. Don't know what to do?

LmI7Bkf.jpg

NOT DRAWN TO SCALE!! sorry about the childlike paint skills haha

I do now realize that a 9.65" full atx mobo would not fit nicely in there horizontally.  Ill come up with another idea.  I really like the case a idea man

LmI7Bkf.jpg

NOT DRAWN TO SCALE!! sorry about the childlike paint skills haha

I do now realize that a 9.65" full atx mobo would not fit nicely in there horizontally.  Ill come up with another idea.  I really like the case a idea man

Na Na. It's Okay design. Design must be understood between the parties. :) I understood you thanks for the design.

Yeah horizontal won't be good. Do a google: Wall Mount Setup. You may find some red looking setup. Guy name is Jeff . He is having the video also on Youtube. I will be taking some ideas from his setup. :)

I will await for your idea. But really thanks :)

3ApfglB.jpg

something along these lines. you could put the ssd's on the right of the motherboard instead of under the shelf (and obviously change anything and everything)

maybe centering the motherboard would look better but I/o would have to be figured out

as far as wallmount setups, I assume you are talking about this one or something like it?  4gk9CuL.jpg

That would be an amazing build to take ideas from

3ApfglB.jpg

something along these lines. you could put the ssd's on the right of the motherboard instead of under the shelf (and obviously change anything and everything)

maybe centering the motherboard would look better but I/o would have to be figured out

as far as wallmount setups, I assume you are talking about this one or something like it?  4gk9CuL.jpg

That would be an amazing build to take ideas from

You hit the bulls eye :D

I am talking about this only.

I will be placing the PSU horizontally rest goes on the wall (back wall of the CASE A Box).

CPU then in the side HDD and below HDD it's SSD. Yeah Radiator on the top.

Only change in your design I thought is that to put the HDD and SDD also on the wall :)

To be very frank, I am planning not to use any shelf, I will use a sleek wooden board as a wall for the MoBo and Drives. Which can be slide out and in horizontally whenever required.

But there will be no shelf (horizontal board) :)

I have an idea to make it close (so that dust doesn't enter). I will be trying to arrange a plastic sheet just like Corsair 760T is having for it's side panel. If not, then I will arrange the Acrylic Plastic (thin) and use it as a door.

If nothing look good, then I will go with the glass at end. But if you have better idea in the looks let me know?

I am totally open in taking the opinion :)

Thanks W-L :)

FNqpIUi.jpg

maybe a brushed metal frame around the top part and tinted plexiglass around the bottom part with metal/wood frame

If I find at any point that I need more space, I will be hiring carpenter to cut down the side and increase the width.

Just to mark, Check the yellow lines I have mentioned.

I will ask him to cut and reduce the length of the horizontal yellow line board and slide the vertical yellow line and it will give me more space for my case. Good hehe? 

wKDlqhS.png

You hit the bulls eye :D

I am talking about this only.

I will be placing the PSU horizontally rest goes on the wall (back wall of the CASE A Box).

CPU then in the side HDD and below HDD it's SSD. Yeah Radiator on the top.

Only change in your design I thought is that to put the HDD and SDD also on the wall :)

To be very frank, I am planning not to use any shelf, I will use a sleek wooden board as a wall for the MoBo and Drives. Which can be slide out and in horizontally whenever required.

But there will be no shelf (horizontal board) :)

ah yeah that sounds really good

FNqpIUi.jpg

maybe a brushed metal frame around the top part and tinted plexiglass around the bottom part with metal/wood frame

Also, I will be using some honeycomb grill over the Radiator and for the Fans as Grill.

I will have to find filters also.

Hey, Where to place the fans? We almost forgot it.

Though I am planning to place it on the rest of the horizontal place left after using for the PSU. I will place the fans there. (bottom)

One radiator with two fans above (top) and if necessary then one fan in the side (right)

All will be in black color (matte color)

Also, I will be using some honeycomb grill over the Radiator and for the Fans as Grill.

Though I am planning to place it on the rest of the horizontal place left after using for the PSU. I will place the fans there. (bottom)

One radiator with two fans above (top) and if necessary then one fan in the side (right)

yeah that sounds good.  Filtered intakes and maybe the radiator since its on top (if the system is spending much time off and if the place is kinda dusty like me).  I think 3 intakes and the 2 exhausts should be ok.  I dont know how much the gpu will affect temperatures on your cpu since all the heat is going through the rad. I dont think it'd be a huge difference if you are using good static pressure fans for the rad (and the intake if the filters drop your airflow like mine did) to get good airflow.  Noctua makes black fans but I think they are just the "industrial" 2000rpm or something like that, and quite expensive

yeah that sounds good.  Filtered intakes and maybe the radiator since its on top (if the system is spending much time off and if the place is kinda dusty like me).  I think 3 intakes and the 2 exhausts should be ok.  I dont know how much the gpu will affect temperatures on your cpu since all the heat is going through the rad. I dont think it'd be a huge difference if you are using good static pressure fans for the rad (and the intake if the filters drop your airflow like mine did) to get good airflow.  Noctua makes black fans but I think they are just the "industrial" 2000rpm or something like that, and quite expensive

Intake and exhaust. Where to place? 

Also check your Private Message :)

I would put a couple near the back of the space on the bottom horizontal and at least one on the vertical part on the right to get some fresh air in before the radiator exhaust and some airflow over the vrm and such.  it would be really cool if you could flush mount the fans so they are less visable

Just a quick note at 18" just make sure there is enough height room for a motherboard, shelf thickness and PSU, not to mention the rad and fans which can be mounted a bit forward to clear heatsinks on the motherboard. 

overall the design looks good I assume you will also be enclosing or modify the cabinet space of the left to hide the I/O cables.

Just a quick note at 18" just make sure there is enough height room for a motherboard, shelf thickness and PSU, not to mention the rad and fans which can be mounted a bit forward to clear heatsinks on the motherboard. 

overall the design looks good I assume you will also be enclosing or modify the cabinet space of the left to hide the I/O cables.

Hi W-L, I was waiting for your reply only. I want to correct some misunderstandings here.

1. I won't be using any horizontal shelf which Old_Chicken has mentioned in his design. I want to show off PSU also which is costly so why to hide it?

2. I won't be using any frame around acrylic board for the cover of the box. It will be clear acrylic cover just like 670T is having.

If you have any advice do let me know.

But I don't understand "enclosing or modify the cabinet space of the left to hide the I/O cables."

Even I am confused what to do with the I/Os.

Though I am planning to mount the board on the sleek wodden ply and hold it vertically (Board will be vertical) then I have to find some solution how come that vertical board will come out sliding so that It slides out just like a server and goes in when work is done (when I want to do cleaning or changes in the motherboard).

A1847server_remove.jpg

Something like this but in this case it's HORIZONTAL. I want to have it as VERTICAL. I mean, It will slide horizontally but board will be vertical.. So it slides horizontally out being vertically standing. You getting me?

I tried to make some rough drawing for it.

o84Sjvw.png

You see that Black Board, On this I will place the motherboard, SSD and HDD. Red is the channel which will make it slide outward and inward in the box whenever needed.

Behind this Black Board, I will be placing all the mother board wiring so that when I will slide it out or in, It won't make the wire stretch and eventually make it break so I will keep the margin behind it and also All the wires will go behind it through the box and then to my LED and Mouse and Keyboard.

Coming to the I/O, I will be placing motherboard as it's in the case so I/Os will be open just without any mold for it.

You see Yellow Arrows, It says how it will slide.

Now, the issue I have is that, GPU is kinda heavy. In the Case GPU is having a nut/bolt to stuck it with the side of the case with a nut.

But how I bolt it here because there is no side panel for it. If that issues solves, I will be okay to hire carpenter and a glass guy to do the work for me.

Now, the issue I have is that, GPU is kinda heavy. In the Case GPU is having a nut/bolt to stuck it with the side of the case with a nut.

But how I bolt it here because there is no side panel for it. If that issues solves, I will be okay to hire carpenter and a glass guy to do the work for me.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/QDIY-Professional-Modder-Acrylic-ATX-Motherboard-Tray-%28YJ%252dZJM08%29.html

Another mobo tray but this one has supports for pci slots. It's not clear but should mostly be hidden I believe

http://www.moddiy.com/products/QDIY-Professional-Modder-Acrylic-ATX-Motherboard-Tray-%28YJ%252dZJM08%29.html

Another mobo tray but this one has supports for pci slots. It's not clear but should mostly be hidden I believe

You see that metal stick/rod to hold the GPU, I only want that. Rest I will be doing myself for the acrylic board. But I want that stick to hold GPU.

You see that metal stick/rod to hold the GPU, I only want that. Rest I will be doing myself for the acrylic board. But I want that stick to hold GPU.

shouldnt be too hard to make something similar, pretty much a metal rod with threads and a retainer to hold on the the gpu.  Wish I could find one for less than 45$, it could save me some time once I start building my case and might look neater