Building A New Gaming/Streaming PC AND I WANT YOUR HELP ! :D

Xelriel

So you will be playing at 1440/1600p AND streaming 1080p60 and don't want your FPS to drop below 60, I am assuming "Ultra" graphics in whatever game

4790k at the bare minimum

Why do none of these builds have a copy of Windows?  That's nearly $100 right there

I left the Case blank, DVDROM optional, required if you don't have a USB version of Windows

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($99.00 @ Adorama) 
Total: $1459.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 17:14 EDT-0400

No, i do not need a CD drive or an OS, i already have those covered, Even though i have not used a disk drive in nearly 5 years until a month back for shits and giggles with Diablo 1 and Halo 1 + 2 But yes this is really important to me everyone and for all of you to sit here and take the time to help me means a lot to me, So if we can keep this going until we get the nearly perfect build ( Im bumping it up 1 - 2 hundred bucks more if it helps ) 

~{ Xelriel }~

He said he will be playing at 1440p or 2.5k, which is intensive enough on its own in some games, and streaming it downscaled to 1080p.

If you can budget a 980 Ti and a 4790K or higher you should be golden

Without skimping on storage or RAM, still needs a case.  Possible places to trim are SSD/HDD and PSU but we are talking maybe $50 before you get into an area of not having enough storage or wattage/crappy PSU

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked Video Card  ($669.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1507.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 17:47 EDT-0400

So let's purely concentrate on the CPU at the moment, So were stuck on three different CPU's the 4790K, an Xeon of some type, or the 5820K So, There is an argument between the 4790K and the 5820K with teh difference between the Ghz.

~{ Xelriel }~

I missed that part.  Then his best options are 295x2, 290x 8GB edition, or 980ti 6GB.  However, I still suggest he goes with the 7-9 CAS 1600 over 1866 for gaming because latency.

That ram is CAS 9

But we still have to set in stone what the best CPU i can grab... Hmm....

~{ Xelriel }~

So let's purely concentrate on the CPU at the moment, So were stuck on three different CPU's the 4790K, an Xeon of some type, or the 5820K So, There is an argument between the 4790K and the 5820K with teh difference between the Ghz.

The difference between mHz does not really matter since you can bring the 5820k to the clock speed of the 4790k no problem with a decent cooler.

But we still have to set in stone what the best CPU i can grab... Hmm....

For your budget and considering the res you are playing at, the gpu side is the most important even though you want to stream so I think 4790k would be the best option. As long as you minimise the number of applications running at the same time, the 4790k should be good enough. In the end, the best performer would be the 5820k but you would need to pay about 200$ more to keep the same graphics configuration and enhance the cpu performance.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Well, the gaming difference is not there.  The new i7s only benefit editing rigs.  But, he's not doing a high enough level for that.  His main issue would be the DDR4 amount he'd need/16GBs in DDR4 costs a lot.  So, then he'd have to lower his options in other areas.  I do agree though about the 4790k.

I think this would be his best option personally.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LdTTxr

i7-4790k, 212 evo[swap out later for an all in one if he wants oces or a custom his choice], gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz CAS 7 2*8/16GBs, Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD for boots and basics, 3TB Seagate for game and video storage, EVGA 980 ti the superclocked one, Corsair 750D case, and a lovely xfx 650w psu for a bit of headroom without overkill.

Base Total: $1718.31         Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00         Shipping: $2.99         Total: $1691.30

The only issue i see with this is i am WAY over spending for the RAM and it's not worth it for a Brand Name.

~{ Xelriel }~

Alright, Unless anyone has anything against the RAM, That is set in stone, Now i know there is still a smidge of talk with a higher CPU but into 4th gen, With that said, With the new MOBO and RAM, Just how much more would that cost? Let's crunch some numbers here.

Here is an updated list to the build so far. By all means add optional things, More than one GPU, or CPU or Motherboard so i can see what possible things i could get that are all just as good as the others, Let's make a thread based list that changes slowly.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SirHexen/saved/#view=6vBJ7P

~{ Xelriel }~

Alright, Unless anyone has anything against the RAM, That is set in stone, Now i know there is still a smidge of talk with a higher CPU but into 4th gen, With that said, With the new MOBO and RAM, Just how much more would that cost? Let's crunch some numbers here.

Here is an updated list to the build so far. By all means add optional things, More than one GPU, or CPU or Motherboard so i can see what possible things i could get that are all just as good as the others, Let's make a thread based list that changes slowly.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SirHexen/saved/#view=6vBJ7P

You have a Z87(Haswell) motherboard, paired with a i7 4790K(Haswell Refresh).  Unless you contact the retailer and verify that the bios has been updated to Haswell Refresh specification, that motherboard might not recognize that CPU.  It won't know that there is a CPU in it... that's bad... you will not be able to even post into the bios.

You are overspending for that CAS 7 RAM for literally no difference in games, and most other places as well... $25 is not much though.

If you really want that 500GB SSD, fine.  At your budget, It will take away $75 from other parts.  Do you need the 1TB of storage on top of that?  Drop to 240GB-256GB and get some mass storage.

You are way overspending for that R9 290X 8GB card.  In UHD dispays (3840x2160), that card will be eaten alive.  The 8GB won't matter.  The GTX 970 is faster, and can be quite effective up to the 2560x1440 displays.  If you really want a "4K" card, save up for the GTX 980Ti 6GB.

That EVGA GS is a great PSU, but you are not running dual 290X GPUs off of it... in case that was your plan.

When seeking advice, ask for proof.  Proof is what happens on these forums.

Less expensive, quieter, faster and cooler:

$1335

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($74.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($97.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($349.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($71.98 @ Newegg)  <<can support dual GTX 970s/GTX 980s, not dual 980Ti(guessing)

Total: $1295.19

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 01:35 EDT-0400

Well, actually he will in games.  But, he could still get CAS 9.  It's purely up to him.  Latency is better for games, but a higher mhz in ram aren't better than 1600 cuz latency.  But, he's using up to 4k in gaming that's why the 290x 8GB is better.  A 970 doesn't have the VRAM for 4k.  He said he's doing 2k, 4k, and 1080p.  If he was just doing 1080p the 970 would be fine, but the 980ti, 295x2, titan x, and the 290x[8gb version]  are better.  8GBs is ideal for the higher resolutions.  So, he's not really overpaying if he's going to be doing those higher reses.   :D  I wouldn't suggest 2400mhz for gaming, but for video editing it is fine.  Still his choice though.

The RAM is cheap, going to 2400Mhz is not an issue.

The 8GB 290x is shit for 4K gaming.  The VRAM does not even matter.

Well, I wouldn't suggest a 970 for what he wants.  He's running various mods, wants at least 60fps at 1080p, and strong 4k gaming.  Personally, I'd wait to see what AMD and Nvidia fully has to offer.  But, I'd still go with the 290x 8GB for all he's doing at higher resolution, a 295x2, a 980ti, or titan x would work too.  The 970 wouldn't do that if he's also running the video editing stuff especially since he really only gets 3.5GBs to use.

Why would you go with a card that does not work?  Just get a freaking regular 290X and save $100.

There were two builds with a 980ti.  Mine was around $1650, and @Faceman (and @DEDRICK) posted working builds that are even less expensive. 

$1486:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($240.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A (NFC Express Edition) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1421.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 02:56 EDT-0400

Only one problem with that.

"

• The Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

No, not a problem. 

True, but would that chip and board auto-clock it to a lower frequency?  Or, can it actually handle that voltage?  Just curious.

It can handle it.  XMP solves it.  Google it. :)

You all realize i will NEVER be doing 4K gaming, correct? I mean if you took 5 minutes to read the thread, i said several times i am going to be doing a MAX of 2.5K gaming.

~{ Xelriel }~

Alright then, it looks like the primary aspects of the build are finalized, The GPU will be changed to the 980Ti, the Ram will be brought down to CAS 7 with the same mHz and 16Gb's, and the CPU will be the 4790K, IS this all correct for 1080/60 While Gaming and Streaming at the same time with Skyrim, 300+ mods+ ENB ?

~{ Xelriel }~

Only one problem with that.

"

• The Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Its a non-issue.  Just because Intel doesn't verify it, doesn't mean it is not compatible.  Everyone, I mean everyone runs 1.65v memory with Haswell.  I run 1.65v memory with Haswell and very robust overclocks.  Its a non-issue and should be ignored.  I wish PcP would remove this stupid "warning"

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Okay.

Yes, the CAS 7 will respond the fastest, the 980ti is the best for what you're doing there, and the i7 is the best bang for the buck for what you are doing.

The CAS 7 @ 1600Mhz will respond in about 0.0043 seconds per request.

The CAS 11 @ 2400MHz will respond in about 0.0045 seconds per request.

Reference.  CAS 9 @ 1600 does 0.0056 seconds.

The Xeon E3 1230-V3 is you best bang for your buck.  Since most games are GPU bound, the lower clock won't matter.  The games that do use the CPU well have the same Haswell architecture (Xeon) to work with.  If you are pinching pennies, you are better off going with the better GPU and the Xeon.

True, but will the E3 hold the 300 mods?  That's the only part I'm questioning as I have no idea.  I only know the 2 i7s can.  If the Xeon can then by all means.  I'm not really good with 2xxx variants of RAM, but if the 11 can hold that much for so much cheaper than by all means he should.  I was going off the 1866 vs the 1600.  I also agree with the 980ti.  I'm really just questioning the Xeon with the mods as I've never seen one used for the amount he's asking.

The Xeon 1230/1231 is like having an i7 4770... just: no iGPU; a locked multiplier; and has support for ECC memory.

What I meant by RAM response times is:  it just does not matter much.

I guess between the 7 and the 11 CAS one you picked I'd agree there/whichever he can get cheapest.  The only reason I suggested a faster response time with the ram is because he is streaming+running hundreds of mods in Skyrim aka where it would be noticed.  If the Xeon can do that then by all means.

What makes you think hundreds of mods is difficult?  If you want to cripple your game with badly organized mods, no hardware is going to run it.  Skyrim would be like a joke to an i5 4690K.

For the Xeon I've never seen it run game mods just basic game settings, so I didn't want to ignorantly tell him to get it since I couldn't help other than that video Linus posted about it.  As for the RAM it's because he's doing various other tasks than just the mods like HD streaming which a faster response time can help both you and your viewers.  The difference between the 11 and the 7 is so minimal though that it doesn't matter.  The others would.  It was mostly ignorance towards those two parts is why I didn't suggest them.  I was going off my knowledge.  That doesn't mean I was saying they couldn't.  I just wasn't sure of their design.  I'll take your word for it though.  Also, it isn't just Skyrim, I think, he was just using that as an example.  I was also taking future games into account like if he were to stream a game like Doom 4 with high texture mods.  Have you seen the new voxel engine by John Carmack?  Newer bethesda and ID games will run on said engine.  I was taking that in account too.  But, that's more of an assumption.  The guys who made the cryteks took it over since John left for the O.R. as project leader, but we will know more on that massive engine at E3 when they show off Doom 4/first game on the idtech6.  The GPU will do a lot of the work I know, but there isn't much talk on the processor and the ram utilization from this beastly engine that Zenimax owns/plans to use for future ID and Bethesda games.

Well, you can look at it this way.  The developers tailor their games to the available hardware.  Intel has the fastest architecture.  AMD is not so fast.  There is a balance to keep the Intel CPUs performing, while not eliminating all the AMD users... it is about money.  As long as you have the Intel architecture, you are pretty much safe for now... and a few years more.

The Xeon has the exact same architect as the i3/i5/i7.  Clock for clock it is just as fast.

I did some research and i see that the 4790K might be my best option with an Intel CPU, i only wish there was a better one then that while erasing the existence of the Xeon and just bump the 4790K to a tier higher or two.

~{ Xelriel }~

I did some research and i see that the 4790K might be my best option with an Intel CPU, i only wish there was a better one then that while erasing the existence of the Xeon and just bump the 4790K to a tier higher or two.

You CAN overclock that Xeon BTW.

...unless you a chicken!  :)

...sorry, I had to.