Cases and PSU basics

Megazord552

Hello!

Im looking to get into building and I want to get to know more about cases and PSU's

1) Should they be the last thing I look for after I've decided the other components (like motherboard, graphics cards etc)

2) Do fans/cooling systems come with cases or are they installed separately? On that note, what components do come with cases (optical drives, USB/SD card slots)

3) Are there compatibility requirements of cases and components? 

I'm really new to this and I'll be grateful for all information.

Thanks a lot!!

If you are building a ATX PC the Case and PSU are mostly the last thing to add, 

differs in every case, but atleast 1 should be in the case mostly,

yes there are different sizes, stick with ATX, normal size PC, for the first one.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

1) They should be last, yes.

2) Fans nearly always come with the case. Apart from that, some screws and some standoffs.

3) Kinda. Apart from the motherboard standards (mainly E ATX, ATX, MATX, MITX), GPUs are sometimes too long for cases and can block drive bays and CPU coolers CAN either not fit at all or the side panel has to be open for them to be in the case

Hello!

Im looking to get into building and I want to get to know more about cases and PSU's

1) Should they be the last thing I look for after I've decided the other components (like motherboard, graphics cards etc)

2) Do fans/cooling systems come with cases or are they installed separately? On that note, what components do come with cases (optical drives, USB/SD card slots)

Thanks a lot!!

1) Not if you have your mind set on a certain case - then you should find parts that will fit.

2) Most cases come with 1 -2 fans, but I'd recommend getting at least 2 more. Most cases come with 1-2 fans, audio jacks, and usb ports. Card and Disc readers are almost always seperate and extra. 

3) There are various motherboard sizes and various cases that support different sizes.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Hello!

Thanks a lot!!

1. The case is the last thing you need to buy, just make sure that you like it and that it is compatible with all your parts. You should not cheap out on your PSU though, because if it is a low quality, cheap PSU it can kill all your components.

2. Usually a case comes with 1/2/3 pre-installed fans, you can add more if you want to. Furthermore you can find some screws when you are unboxing a case.

3. Yes. Make sure that the case is compatible with your motherboard standard and that your GPU and CPU cooler fit in your case.

Project Pluto
i3 4170 MSI H97 PC Mate MSI R9 380 2GD5T @ 1095MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4gb @ 1600MhzWD 1TB Blue • be quiet! Pure Rock • NZXT S340 Black XFX TS 550w • BenQ GW2265HM

So many useful tips, adding my own:

1. Most likely yes. You will want a case that will fit everything you have chosen, and a PSU that has enough power to run them.

1a. If you have a limited space (small desk/need put PC next to TV), you might want to pick a case then pick parts that fit into that case.

1b. You might get away by cheap out on case, but never cheap out on PSU.

1c. High wattage/80plus certification PSU doesn't mean it's of high quality, read review online.

2. Cheaper case usually comes with 1 fan. More expensive cases came with more. Almost all case came with front USB port, newer ones came with USB 3.0. A few on the market came with SD Card reader, some came with Fan Control, though those are usually expensive gaming cases. I haven't seen any that came with optical drive.

3. Big case fits small parts, small case does not fit big parts.

3a. Case are usually classed by the motherboard it supports. Common size: ATX - Big, mATX - Medium, ITX - Small. Big case fits small motherboard, small case does not accept big motherboards.

3b. Watch out for PSU size, some case takes SFX PSU, which is smaller than usual, they are mostly Silverstone cases from what I can remember.

3c. Other things to watch out: CPU cooler size, water cooling radiator clearance/size, graphic card length, number of harddisk you plan to put in, cable management (if you want neat looking case with good air flow).

Thank so much for the responses guys! Im going to do more research before I make any purchases. Ill certainly be back here if I need to know anything/share my progress!

Cheers!

I would take into account the PSU early on, as that is the most important component and if that goes bang, everything else could go bang. Just don't skimp on the PSU

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W