i5-3570k to i7-4790k is it worth it for me?

Hey 

This is my current rig which is  3 years old.

I5-3570K 4.2GHz Stable

Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte

ScytheMugen 3

Corsair Vengence LP 1866hz 8GB (4x2)

Gigabyte GTX680 2GB

Seagate 2TB HDD - Storage

Samsung 830 256GB SSD - OS and Games

Seasonic 760W Modular

Corsair Graphite 600T Black

Samsung DVDX24

Monitor-BenQ XL2420Z 144hz 

Let me start off saying that the rig is doing fine and was a pleasure to use all this 3 years without any issues expect memory one time.

But lately playing the latest games become very hard for me mostly because the  GPU . 

Playing Games like TOMB RAIDER , Killing Floor 2  at max setting is not smooth anymore which makes the experience less fun for me.

Right now those games are not graphics demanding as others but i promised my self that i'm going to play TW3/ARKHAM/BF4 with a new 27 1440P G-Sync Monitor so i can get the best experience from those games

i literally ignored TW3 just because i know my rig wont be able to handle it perfectly the way i want so there's no point to play the game i've been waiting for so long just to have FPS DROPS or "less" graphics

I also always wanted to come back to another round of Skyrim but this time "fully modded" which i know requires around 5GB VRAM .

so at first i wanted to just to upgrade my Monitor and GPU (ASUS PG278Q , EVGA TITAN X SC )

but i was thinking what if i will have some kind of "holds back" from my rig? if im going the route of a new best GPU/Monitor available why not upgrading my rig?

i should also add the building a new rig is exciting to me so i might be overhyped about it.

first i was thinking about putting alot of money on X99 system but thats just too expansive.

so i was thinking why not buying a new rig with the best Z97 possible parts so it can lasts for me at least 4-5years easy! - combined with the titan x and the monitor

also its ALOT cheaper.

I have the option to buy the PC Parts directly from a dealer and get the lowest price possible in my country so upgrading my rig to a new one is not that expansive.

i will also sell my old rig \ parts in a second hand website just to get some money back.

so my question to you . is it worth it ? should i go that route? 

im not looking for a new X99 BEAST PC because thats just too expansive . and i also cant wait that long for new CPU's and Boards.

my mind is on something like this:

I7-4790K - OC TO 4.5Ghz

Noctua NH-D15

EVGA TITAN X - SC

1TB SSD without HDD (should be enough for me ) - would like your advice which module better to have?

Board-thinking about ASUS/MSI/GIGABYTE ? something that looks cool and also work good for  OC . and mostly important have 0 issues known with USB ports!

Xonar DGX 5.1 - My current Sound card that i will use in the new rig

PSU- not sure which brand but DARKPOWER! not available in my country . im looking for a strong good PSU with FLAT modular cables so i can make the build sexy :)

CASE-Must be something new  , good looking and good for the rig in terms of AIR COOLING/SILENT - i was thinking about R5 Black / Phantom 820 Black unless you have better options?

Memory - 16GB 2133? should be enough but i have no clue which modules are worth getting . i can get G.SKILLS/HYPER -X / Crucial and Corsair but which one of them is worth it ? and 4x4gb or 2x8gb?

MOnitor- will be the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q .

Sry for the text wall and thanks for any kind of help in advance : ) 

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

Hey 

This is my current rig which is  3 years old.

I5-3570K 4.2GHz Stable

Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte

ScytheMugen 3

Gigabyte GTX680 2GB

Seasonic 760W Modular

Samsung DVDX24

Let me start off saying that the rig is doing fine and was a pleasure to use all this 3 years without any issues expect memory one time.

But lately playing the latest games become very hard for me mostly because the  GPU . 

Playing Games like TOMB RAIDER , Killing Floor 2  at max setting is not smooth anymore which makes the experience less fun for me.

Right now those games are not graphics demanding as others but i promised my self that i'm going to play TW3/ARKHAM/BF4 with a new 27 1440P G-Sync Monitor so i can get the best experience from those games

i literally ignored TW3 just because i know my rig wont be able to handle it perfectly the way i want so there's no point to play the game i've been waiting for so long just to have FPS DROPS or "less" graphics

I also always wanted to come back to another round of Skyrim but this time "fully modded" which i know requires around 5GB VRAM .

so at first i wanted to just to upgrade my Monitor and GPU (ASUS PG278Q , EVGA TITAN X SC )

but i was thinking what if i will have some kind of "holds back" from my rig? if im going the route of a new best GPU/Monitor available why not upgrading my rig?

i should also add the building a new rig is exciting to me so i might be overhyped about it.

first i was thinking about putting alot of money on X99 system but thats just too expansive.

so i was thinking why not buying a new rig with the best Z97 possible parts so it can lasts for me at least 4-5years easy! - combined with the titan x and the monitor

also its ALOT cheaper.

I have the option to buy the PC Parts directly from a dealer and get the lowest price possible in my country so upgrading my rig to a new one is not that expansive.

i will also sell my old rig \ parts in a second hand website just to get some money back.

im not looking for a new X99 BEAST PC because thats just too expansive . and i also cant wait that long for new CPU's and Boards.

I7-4790K - OC TO 4.5Ghz

Noctua NH-D15

EVGA TITAN X - SC

1TB SSD without HDD (should be enough for me ) - would like your advice which module better to have?

Board-thinking about ASUS/MSI/GIGABYTE ? something that looks cool and also work good for  OC . and mostly important have 0 issues known with USB ports!

PSU- not sure which brand but DARKPOWER! not available in my country . im looking for a strong good PSU with FLAT modular cables so i can make the build sexy :)

CASE-Must be something new  , good looking and good for the rig in terms of AIR COOLING/SILENT - i was thinking about R5 Black / Phantom 820 Black unless you have better options?

Memory - 16GB 2133? should be enough but i have no clue which modules are worth getting . i can get G.SKILLS/HYPER -X / Crucial and Corsair but which one of them is worth it ? and 4x4gb or 2x8gb?

personally i would just get a gtx 980 and play on ultra a couple of more years, and then upgrade your rig 

Just upgrade your old rig? i7 is not necessary unless you stream or do content creation.

"Rawr XD"

personally i would just get a gtx 980 and play on ultra a couple of more years, and then upgrade your rig 

Don't quote giant OPs please, use -snip-

"Rawr XD"

Don't quote giant OPs please, use -snip-

allright sry m8

I'm not sure how easy it would be to sell my current rig but i'm sure  i will find someone to buy most of the parts.

I'm not going to sream anything soon :P only playing games they way i want which is max settings @1440p Gsync.

I'm working very hard and sometimes you just want to come home and relax while you play your favorite game...

Like i said the fact that im getting dealer prices should make it pretty cheap for me but its still a new rig...

also i realy want to build a badass rig again i like hardware alot and last time when i bought my current rig i settled for parts i wasnt able to get but always wanted to try 

like the NOctua AIR COOLER...

this time i want to get the best parts possible like the EVGA TITAN X SC / Noctua NH-D15 / 4790K and OC it to 4.5GHZ Stable! not to mention the monitor PG278Q aswell

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

-snip-

I just upgraded from a 3770k to the 4790k and Titan X sli. I also have the Asus ROG swift. I still have my old rig lol.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I just upgraded from a 3770k to the 4790k and Titan X sli. I also have the Asus ROG swift. I still have my old rig lol.

and what do you think about the upgrade?

are you happy with it ? 

and what do you think about the upgrade?

are you happy with it ? 

Best thing I ever did. Trying to play games at ultra at 1440p was frustrating. Plus I got a good deal on the 4790k and motherboard. I got a corsair h110i gt and I'm getting the EVGA hybrid water cooler for the Titan X. I am getting a new case this week and then I will overclock. Playing Rome Total War 2 on my last build was 30fps and I could not stand the dips. Now I play it at 144fps with ease at extreme settings. Now I enjoy gaming. The 680 was nice but I just went with a new pc and kept the ssd and hdd's from my old build. I don't regret it.  

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

@nodim666 Just get a 3770K or Xeon E3-1230V2 possibly a 2600K if you can find one cheap.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Best thing I ever did. Trying to play games at ultra at 1440p was frustrating. Plus I got a good deal on the 4790k and motherboard. I got a corsair h110i gt and I'm getting the EVGA hybrid water cooler for the Titan X. I am getting a new case this week and then I will overclock. Playing Rome Total War 2 on my last build was 30fps and I could not stand the dips. Now I play it at 144fps with ease at extreme settings. Now I enjoy gaming. The 680 was nice but I just went with a new pc and kept the ssd and hdd's from my old build. I don't regret it.  

im so glad to hear that for you :) 

do you think Noctua NH-D15 would be enough for the 4790k 4.5Ghz OC?

can you advice me about other pc parts?like PSU/Memory/Case/Board?

im so glad to hear that for you :)

do you think Noctua NH-D15 would be enough for the 4790k 4.5Ghz OC?

can you advice me about other pc parts?like PSU/Memory/Case/Board?

I'm not sure for air coolers but I heard that one is great. Depends on the air flow in your case as well. I went with extra case fans and that helps out a lot. I can help you with other parts. You can also check my signature pcpartpicker link to see what I did.

I'm not sure for air coolers but I heard that one is great. Depends on your the air flow in your case as well. I went with extra case fans and that helps out a lot. I can help you with other parts. You can also check my signature pcpartpicker link to see what I did.

yea i was thinking about extra case fans for sure if im going to OC my CPU

well im just glad its a good idea to go that route i need to read alot more on pcparts like the memory/board/case/psu etc...

btw im also using the APEX M800 and that thing is a beast!!! :D i love it!

yea i was thinking about extra case fans for sure if im going to OC my CPU

well im just glad its a good idea to go that route i need to read alot more on pcparts like the memory/board/case/psu etc...

btw im also using the APEX M800 and that thing is a beast!!! :D i love it!

Can't go wrong with Steelseries. Noctua or Corsair for case fans. For motherboard you don't need a $200 plus mobo. Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock are my preferred brands for the motherboard. EVGA or Corsair for psu. Case is really preference at this point but I went with the Phanteks Enthoo pro. For memory I go with Corsair. Crucial and Samsung for SSD. Western Digital for HDDs. This is just my opinion.

Can't go wrong with Steelseries. Noctua or Corsair for case fans. For motherboard you don't need a $200 plus mobo. Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock are my preferred brands for the motherboard. EVGA or Corsair for psu. Case is really preference at this point but I went with the Phanteks Enthoo pro. For memory I go with Corsair. Crucial and Samsung for SSD. Western Digital for HDDs. This is just my opinion.

Thanks..

ill keep reading

just wanted to make sure im not the right path

i think that by august i would have enough money for the new rig + monitor :) and by then i might be able to grab a 980ti 

and i hope that in august z97 prices would be cheaper , ddr3 would be cheaper and maybe 4790k would be cheaper

so i can get it for very very low price

Thanks..

ill keep reading

just wanted to make sure im not the right path

i think that by august i would have enough money for the new rig + monitor :) and by then i might be able to grab a 980ti 

and i hope that in august z97 prices would be cheaper , ddr3 would be cheaper and maybe 4790k would be cheaper

so i can get it for very very low price

Good plan. The prices will drop for sure.

Hey

This is my current rig which is 3 years old.

I5-3570K 4.2GHz Stable

Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte

ScytheMugen 3

Gigabyte GTX680 2GB

Seasonic 760W Modular

Samsung DVDX24

But lately playing the latest games become very hard for me mostly because the GPU .

Playing Games like TOMB RAIDER , Killing Floor 2 at max setting is not smooth anymore which makes the experience less fun for me.

i literally ignored TW3 just because i know my rig wont be able to handle it perfectly the way i want so there's no point to play the game i've been waiting for so long just to have FPS DROPS or "less" graphics

also its ALOT cheaper.

I7-4790K - OC TO 4.5Ghz

Noctua NH-D15

EVGA TITAN X - SC

Board-thinking about ASUS/MSI/GIGABYTE ? something that looks cool and also work good for OC . and mostly important have 0 issues known with USB ports!

CASE-Must be something new , good looking and good for the rig in terms of AIR COOLING/SILENT - i was thinking about R5 Black / Phantom 820 Black unless you have better options?

Well the 4790k is a good choice. The I5 would definitely bottleneck the Titan x. For the motherboard as long as it is z97 there is no difference in performance. In my last couple builds I had problems with asrock and gigabyte boards and from the bios the msi and asus boards are better anyway. Something like the msi z97 gaming 5 will do the job fine but the Asus maximus VII Ranger is definitely more badass.

For the cooler I can report that the noctua and bequiet ones are equally quiet. And in my opinion the dark rock pro 3 looks better, maybe something you should consider.

For the ram you can go with anything high speed and a big name. I personally love the looks of the avexir ones. You can colormatch the leds to your mobo.

For gpu I would safe a couple bugs and go for the 980ti. But if you want all the performance you can get a 295x2 and a 1440p or even 4k freesync monitor are an option too. The 295x2 definitely outperforms the Titan x if you don't mind the energy consumption.

For a case I will just list a few and you can go by looks. It's always a pretty subjective thing. Nzxt h440 black/red, define r5, phantecs enthoo luxe, in win 707, lian li pc-07s is a pretty special one, cooler Master cosmos and corsair graphite 780t

Your probably going for a fully modular psu anyway so cablemod cables are perhaps something for you. Linus did a video on these a while ago.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Well the 4790k is a good choice. The I5 would definitely bottleneck the Titan x. For the motherboard as long as it is z97 there is no difference in performance. In my last couple builds I had problems with asrock and gigabyte boards and from the bios the msi and asus boards are better anyway. Something like the msi z97 gaming 5 will do the job fine but the Asus maximus VII Ranger is definitely more badass.

For the cooler I can report that the noctua and bequiet ones are equally quiet. And in my opinion the dark rock pro 3 looks better, maybe something you should consider.

For the ram you can go with anything high speed and a big name. I personally love the looks of the avexir ones. You can colormatch the leds to your mobo.

For gpu I would safe a couple bugs and go for the 980ti. But if you want all the performance you can get a 295x2 and a 1440p or even 4k freesync monitor are an option too. The 295x2 definitely outperforms the Titan x if you don't mind the energy consumption.

For a case I will just list a few and you can go by looks. It's always a pretty subjective thing. Nzxt h440 black/red, define r5, phantecs enthoo luxe, in win 707, lian li pc-07s is a pretty special one, cooler Master cosmos and corsair graphite 780t

Your probably going for a fully modular psu anyway so cablemod cables are perhaps something for you. Linus did a video on these a while ago.

Thanks alot!!

Sadly darkpowr product not available im country so noctua is the best choice

Also asus just announced new ips gsync monitor :)!!!

Is there a diffrrnce between the z97 hero/ranger?

For case i will check the cosmos/h440/r5/corsair 750t

For gpu i hope by august 980ti will be for sale so i can get one

For memory i don know that company what about corsair/G.skill/hyper x? Can you recomned a very good 16gb module?like 1600 cl9 or 2133 cl11

For psu i am thinking about the coolermastrr v series v850 it also have flat cables and a silent fan

Any tips for 1tb ssd?

And which linus video you talking about?

Thanks alot!!

Sadly darkpowr product not available im country so noctua is the best choice

Also asus just announced new ips gsync monitor :)!!!

Is there a diffrrnce between the z97 hero/ranger?

For case i will check the cosmos/h440/r5/corsair 750t

For gpu i hope by august 980ti will be for sale so i can get one

For memory i don know that company what about corsair/G.skill/hyper x? Can you recomned a very good 16gb module?like 1600 cl9 or 2133 cl11

For psu i am thinking about the coolermastrr v series v850 it also have flat cables and a silent fan

Any tips for 1tb ssd?

And which linus video you talking about?

I can't the the difference between the hero an Ranger.

Avexir ram has leds on top of it that indicate the ram usage. Linus is using them in his personal build. Just put avexir in YouTube and you'll see.

Well darkpower is just a psu series, bequiet is the real brand name.

I ment the linustechtips video about cable mod cables.

EDIT: well I wouldn't really recommend a 1tb ssd because let's face it, if you don't do professional work you don't need more than 500gb. But here in Germany the 850evo 1tb is relatively inexpensive and boy the thing is only hold back by sata 6gb

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Avexir ram has leds on top of it that indicate the ram usage. Linus is using them in his personal build. Just put avexir in YouTube and you'll see.

EDIT: well I wouldn't really recommend a 1tb ssd because let's face it, if you don't do professional work you don't need more than 500gb. But here in Germany the 850evo 1tb is relatively inexpensive and boy the thing is only hold back by sata 6gb

I will check those memorys when i get home

I already emailed bequiet trying to figure how i can get the company psu's to my country

But if its not going to work which psu you recommend?

For the hero and ranger i guess i cant go wrong with either...

For ssd i think 500gb would be enough

850evo best option?its kinda cheap here..

I already emailed bequiet trying to figure how i can get the company psu's to my country

Well your quite high end so evga supernova or gigabyte g2 aren't bad choices.

Well if you don't want to go pcie the 850 evo is your best option. It's definitely the fastest sata 6gb out there

For ssd i think 500gb would be enough

850evo best option?its kinda cheap here..

Well your quite high end so evga supernova or gigabyte g2 aren't bad choices.

Well if you don't want to go pcie the 850 evo is your best option. It's definitely the fastest sata 6gb out there

Hope i can get evga supernova/gigabyte psu in my country

Also can you libk me that pcie ssd?and how good is it compared to the 850evo which shouls be very good for me aswell..

I need to watch some case reviews and decide which one

Same for boards . Im sure i want asus just need to check which one

Sabertooth looks awesome!and might fit the noctua nh-d15

For gpu its the 980ti evga or gigabyte

Asus announced the same pg278q monitor but ips so thats awesome aswell...

Hope i can get evga supernova/gigabyte psu in my country

Also can you libk me that pcie ssd?and how good is it compared to the 850evo which shouls be very good for me aswell..

I need to watch some case reviews and decide which one

Same for boards . Im sure i want asus just need to check which one

Sabertooth looks awesome!and might fit the noctua nh-d15

For gpu its the 980ti evga or gigabyte

Asus announced the same pg278q monitor but ips so thats awesome aswell...

i wouldnt go with gigabyte. the coolers do feel cheap and the cards bend quite a bit. the asus cards especially the strix variants are damn awesome too.

for the ssd the plextor m6e isnt bad. you can get it as pcie add-in-card or as m.2 (which saves you 50 bucks)