Windows 7 all files read only.

defunkt
Go to solution Solved by defunkt,

Format and reinstall windows

I've rolled back windows to yesterday and I'm rolling back my drive to a backup from yesterday. Hopefully it should help

So I might have torrented some music, and when I put it on my hdd it set all files on all drives to read only and I cannot turn it off. Anybody know how to? I suppose its kind of a virus, gets into you computer and sets everything to read only.

hello

? I don't really know why any virus would do that lol but try to scan your pc with anti-malmware and the microsoft antivirus etc.

Interested in Business and Technology

I would just do an in place install by using the upgrade option to re install all the windows files or try using sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt to see if Windows can change all those files back to read and write before doing an in place install.

Info about in place install: http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

Info about sfc /scannow tool: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You should look into subsciption music model. You have many different services out there. Such as Last.FM, Spotify, or XBox Music Pass (aka: Zune Music Pass).

I have the Zune Music Pass, and it's awesome. every week you have new songs/albums added, and it's the second largest music library (iTunes first). In Canada it's 10$ per month, or 100$ per year. No restrictions on streaming. You can download the songs for offline playing too, but it can only be played on Microsoft devices (Zune MP3 player, XBox 360, XBox One, Windows Phone 7 or 8, Windows tablets, and of course desktop computer via the Zune desktop software or in the case of Windows RT Music app)

You can stream your music as well using the web browser. It uses HTML5 so it should work for other devices.

http://music.xbox.com/ (it doesn't have music discovery, however, at least not yet, the site was just recently put online).

Of course, you can buy the music and keep it for yourself DRM free, if it's a song you really want.

Every service have a trial period, so you can try them out. But remember that they all set to auto-renew, so be sure to cancel before the trial ends to not be charged. In the case of XBox Music, if you have Windows 8/RT, it's free streaming for all, to all but have ads, so you can enjoy the service as music as you want, if you don't mind ads here and there.

Check all the services out, all have ups and downs, find the best that fits your needs and stop torrenting, (beside it's more complicated and time consuming than subscription music) and supports the artists you like.

You should look into subsciption music model. You have many different services out there. Such as Last.FM, Spotify, or XBox Music Pass (aka: Zune Music Pass).

I have the Zune Music Pass, and it's awesome. every week you have new songs/albums added, and it's the second largest music library (iTunes first). In Canada it's 10$ per month, or 100$ per year. No restrictions on streaming. You can download the songs for offline playing too, but it can only be played on Microsoft devices (Zune MP3 player, XBox 360, XBox One, Windows Phone 7 or 8, Windows tablets, and of course desktop computer via the Zune desktop software or in the case of Windows RT Music app)

You can stream your music as well using the web browser. It uses HTML5 so it should work for other devices.

http://music.xbox.com/ (it doesn't have music discovery, however, at least not yet, the site was just recently put online).

Of course, you can buy the music and keep it for yourself DRM free, if it's a song you really want.

Every service have a trial period, so you can try them out. But remember that they all set to auto-renew, so be sure to cancel before the trial ends to not be charged. In the case of XBox Music, if you have Windows 8/RT, it's free streaming for all, to all but have ads, so you can enjoy the service as music as you want, if you don't mind ads here and there.

Check all the services out, all have ups and downs, find the best that fits your needs and stop torrenting, (beside it's more complicated and time consuming than subscription music) and supports the artists you like.

I can't afford $10 a month. btw, have you been hacked?

hello

Format and reinstall windows

I've rolled back windows to yesterday and I'm rolling back my drive to a backup from yesterday. Hopefully it should help

hello

I can't afford $10 a month. btw, have you been hacked?

Nope. Just giving the XBox Music a push, as I like it, and people tend to pass over it.

I admit, I am a bit too promotional on stuff I like :) Sorry about that.

Nope. Just giving the XBox Music a push, as I like it, and people tend to pass over it.

I admit, I am a bit too promotional on stuff I like :) Sorry about that.

Ha yeah I loved that service, but sucks when you stop paying for it and don't delete that music.  It keeps bothering me lol.  

First, remove virus, if there was one to begin with (audio files can't have virus).

Then, take ownership of drives back to administrator (your account), Then, change permissions for administrator account (your account) to "full control". All should work well, do that for all partitions you have.

I think that was the problem, and there is no need for virus for that to happen.