My HTPC vs My Gaming PC -> Weird Performance in Netflix

Loohi

Hey Guys,

Ok so, I bought a Zotac CI 320 to hook up to my TV and Surround Sound system.

I understood that the 2gb RAM & Intel HD Graphics was good enough for 5.1 Surround Audio, and 1080p streaming through Netflix.

However:

• problem 1: My bitrate in netflix is much much higher on my gaming PC (GPU 660ti, 8GB Ram)
    • maxes out at 5800 in netflix on Gaming PC
    • remains at 1750 on HTPC
  • Problem 2: The 5.1 Audio on HTPC does not work with all movies (compatible movies that is) on netflix (using the windows 8 app)
    • Some movies, no worries, it works as intended 
    • Some movies, when selecting 5.1 Audio, the video becomes so sluggish, and no audio!

I'm really confused, here is the HTPC under load:

• CPU: 10%
  • RAM: 60%
  • Temps: 50-60 deg (so no throttling)

Long story short, why cant I have the same performance on the HTCP? why cant I get netflix to buffer the high quality bitrate? and why wont the 5.1 audio work on all 5.1 compatible movies?

Hoping to get some help if you guys ran into the same problems?

Thanks!

2GB on Windows 8.1? Does Windows leave anything left for anything else? o.0

I would have gone 4GB and a Pentium here, not a Celeron. Or an APU with a stronger graphics core, though in my experience the G3258 is strong enough for this.

I would have gone 4GB and a Pentium here, not a Celeron. Or an APU with a stronger graphics core, though in my experience the G3258 is strong enough for this.

Win 8.1 seems to adapt to the ram. After boot, only 50% of the ram is used.

At this moment, netflix is running at 4300 bitrate, so maybe the quality has to do with the time and load.

Still no idea regarding the 5.1 dolby issues tho...

Works fine for me even with a 64-bit install but I set the HD graphics to only use 256mb of ram 

Win 8.1 seems to adapt to the ram. After boot, only 50% of the ram is used.

At this moment, netflix is running at 4300 bitrate, so maybe the quality has to do with the time and load.

Still no idea regarding the 5.1 dolby issues tho...

Try to look in the bios  how much ram the HD graphics can use as VRAM usually it's set to AUTO.

Try to look in the bios  how much ram the HD graphics can use as VRAM usually it's set to AUTO.

I can take a look, if it's set to Auto, what should I set it to? I have about 1gb free ram after boot.

I can take a look, if it's set to Auto, what should I set it to? I have about 1gb free ram after boot.

I have mine set to 128mb and it still plays HD video and Netflix/Youtube fine.

I have mine set to 128mb and it still plays HD video and Netflix/Youtube fine.

So you think that if its indeed on Auto, it's using less than 128? Ill take a look and let you know! Thanks!

So you think that if its indeed on Auto, it's using less than 128? Ill take a look and let you know! Thanks!

No on auto it uses more :P I had a similar issue today with my new built htpc a Celeron with 2gb of ram and it was laggy as hell set the HD graphics to 128/256mb and boom my issue was solved. 

No on auto it uses more :P I had a similar issue today with my new built htpc a Celeron with 2gb of ram and it was laggy as hell set the HD graphics to 128/256mb and boom my issue was solved. 

Hmm i See, by using more than possibly available, it's slows it down.

At the moment, the bitrate hols steady at 3000, with some peak at 4300. Maybe by adjusting the Vram, it can spike back to 5800...

Went into the BIOS, but couldnt find any settings for the Vram.. very limited options seem available to be changed.

Wonder if there's an advanced settings menu hidden :/

Went into the BIOS, but couldnt find any settings for the Vram.. very limited options seem available to be changed.

Wonder if there's an advanced settings menu hidden :/

Hmm,

All drivers update?

Can you upgrade the ram?

Hmm,

All drivers update?

Can you upgrade the ram?

Yes, I updated the drivers, both for Realtek HD audio/Lan and HD Graphics.

I can upgrade the ram too, if needed. but im not convinced that it would fix this.

Also, I havent updated the BIOS at this point either

I guess now im just wondering if the N2930 and basic HD Graphics is just not enough.

Wondering if i3 CPUs and HD Graphics 4000 would do a better job...