80 C stock speed = bad to overclock

oh shit, so my cpu has brain damage for running at 80C during my stress test?

this just got spooky

But if i dont OC, would i be fine to keep the stock cooler, or should i change it before my CPU melts while playing arma and totalwar?

Gaming typically isn't as hard on the cpu as a stress test is, so if temps are below 75c or so while gaming you're fine, but otherwise an aftermarket cooler is the best option.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just pondering did you put any coolant on between the heatsink and the CPU?

Thats like cleaning the contacts of a CPU before mounting to improve performance.

Something i never do because its immoral.

Also, i dont own a car and i dont want to have liqid anywhere close to my computer, after what happened to my motherboard when i was putting it in the computer for the first time

Had to use a hairdryer for minutes, it was painful to watch

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

it did not shut the system down, altough it did slow the computer into a crawl

Also, can you get BSOD from having the compontents being too hot?

Yes you can.

Slowing down....sounds like thermal throttling.

Thats like cleaning the contacts of a CPU before mounting to improve performance.

Something i never do because its immoral.

Also, i dont own a car and i dont want to have liqid anywhere close to my computer, after what happened to my motherboard when i was putting it in the computer for the first time

Had to use a hairdryer for minutes, it was painful to watch

He meant thermal paste.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Um, I was talking about Arctic Silver 5.  <.<

You did say coolant.... :P at first glance I be like.....er...wtf.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Um, I was talking about Arctic Silver 5.  <.<

is it the good stuff?

Anyway, is it imporant to have, or is it a luxury

ive never heard about it before

is it the good stuff?

Anyway, is it imporant to have, or is it a luxury

ive never heard about it before

Thermal paste is a ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE..MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST HAVE!!

ALL PC's!!!! MUST HAVE.

This is how important it is.

Oh silly me,. you meant AC5...it's pretty good but there are better pastes out there (which can usually only give you 3-4*c off the topend maxtemp anyway) so artic silver 5 is perfectly fine.

Just in case - Thermal paste is a ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE..MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST HAVE!!

Yes you can.

Slowing down....sounds like thermal throttling.

He meant thermal paste.

so you mean that the benchmark is not supposed to freeze up, while the only thing working is your mouse as the PC blows wind like a madman?

It was really hard to close the benchmark when i was done, because i only had about 2 FPS to work with to get the task manager up

Thermal paste is a ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE..MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST HAVE!!

ALL PC's!!!! MUST HAVE.

This is how important it is.

Oh silly me,. you meant AC5...it's pretty good but there are better (which can usually only give you 3-4*c off the topend maxtemp anyway) so artic silver 5 is perfectly fine.

If i buy a new cooler, that brings me down to like 70 C, can i skip the thermal paste?

Or do i have to have it despite of what my temps are?

Ive used my PC in about a year now, and not used thermal paste, is my CPU damaged or something?

so you mean that the benchmark is not supposed to freeze up, while the only thing working is your mouse as the PC blows wind like a madman?

It was really hard to close the benchmark when i was done, because i only had about 2 FPS to work with to get the task manager up

The stresstest IS forcing your CPU's to 100% (ALL CORES)

This is why its slow.

I for some reason was thinking GPU stresstest, not CPU, for CPU thats normal to be laggy as hell because of the super high 100% load on all cores. (also why they games will never put temps that high, cos games don't use the CPU like that, never using 100% of EVERY core at one instant (for your CPU i mean)

If i buy a new cooler, that brings me down to like 70 C, can i skip the thermal paste?

Or do i have to have it despite of what my temps are?

Ive used my PC in about a year now, and not used thermal paste, is my CPU damaged or something?

Fuck me sideways, six times on sunday, REALLY?

Thermal paste is a ABSOLUTE MUST, regardless of any cooler.  I'm so angry reading that I could fist a donkey to death!

This THIN AS HELL (the way you should use it, thinly) paste transfers the heat from one metal block to another, without it,.. the heat transfer is absolute shit, and could very well damage your CPU, or not damage it, but reduce its total lifespan. Use too much and the heat transfer suffers still, not as much as using none.

Getting thermal paste on that STOCK cooler, will lower temps, maybe enough to not need a new cooler.

But I wish I could fly to yours right now and do this for you.. thermal paste is THAT important.

Thermal paste is pretty much required.

Is my CPU damaged from one year of usage, it the max temps i can possibly achive is 80C?

NO PASTE - FOR A WHOLE YEAR?????

Fuck me sideways, six times on sunday, REALLY?

Thermal paste is a ABSOLUTE MUST, regardless of any cooler.  I'm so angry reading that I could fist a donkey to death!

This THIN AS HELL (the way you should use it, thinly) paste transfers the heat from one metal block to another, without it,.. the heat transfer is absolute shit, and could very well damage your CPU, or not damage it, but reduce its total lifespan. Use too much and the heat transfer suffers still, not as much as using none.

Getting thermal paste on that STOCK cooler, will lower temps, maybe enough to not need a new cooler.

But I wish I could fly to yours right now and do this for you.. thermal paste is THAT important.

Is my CPU damaged from one year of usage, it the max temps i can possibly achive is 80C?

It could be, OR, it'll be fine, but instead of lasting 10 years (guessing) it may last a bit less, or a lot less... I've never done what you've done, so I'm not sure of the losses.

It could very well need way more voltage now, than before to drive the same clocks... (CPU degradation)

The maxtemp you should stay under is up to you, everyone is different really.. some are 75*c max users, some are 80*c, Im 85*c,... some people prefer it cooler than me...

A better cooler will lower your maxtemp by far. But Thermal paste should be your no1 priority.

/Don't think by me capitalizing or coming across angry,...that Im 'typist-yelling at you', it just really is that important.

Well, it doesn't sound like it has yet.  But, without arctic silver 5 or a similar thermal paste it can get damaged pretty bad especially with summer being here now.  If you want your CPU to live and not get damaged then you're gunna wanna put the paste on.

But i cannot afford to buy out these drugs to my CPU

But if it really wants to get high i guess i have to let it go, i have no choise, but to give in to my CPUs demands

is this the good stuff? The silver one does not seem to be available

https://www.komplett.se/noctua-nt-h1-kjlepasta/460665

But i cannot afford to buy out these drugs to my CPU

But if it really wants to get high i guess i have to let it go, i have no choise, but to give in to my CPUs demands

is this the good stuff? The silver one does not seem to be available

https://www.komplett.se/noctua-nt-h1-kjlepasta/460665

Better than most that you get supplied with.

It could be, OR, it'll be fine, but instead of lasting 10 years (guessing) it may last a bit less, or a lot less... I've never done what you've done, so I'm not sure of the losses.

It could very well need way more voltage now, than before to drive the same clocks... (CPU degradation)

The maxtemp you should stay under is up to you, everyone is different really.. some are 75*c max users, some are 80*c, Im 85*c,... some people prefer it cooler than me...

A better cooler will lower your maxtemp by far. But Thermal paste should be your no1 priority.

/Don't think by me capitalizing or coming across angry,...that Im 'typist-yelling at you', it just really is that important.

But, lets say for example that one guy ran their exact same CPU at 80 C with this paste on

And I ran mine at 80 C but without this paste

would we both get the same damage to our CPUs?

But, lets say for example that one guy ran their exact same CPU at 80 C with this paste on

And I ran mine at 80 C but without this paste

would we both get the same damage to our CPUs?

Thats the thing...That will never happen, because your CPU without paste, will NOT stop at 80*c. But his will.

PUT IT OUT OF YOUR MIND TO NOT USE PASTE..

ALWAYS USE PASTE, conversation over.

:)

/Feel free to ask away questions, I meant ^This conversation

Thats the thing...That will never happen, because your CPU without paste, will NOT stop at 80*c. But his will.

mine did actually stop at 80 - 81 C during my stress test, and it did not go any further

Um, you only have to really put it on once unless you swap the heatsink, or reseat something.  It's a one time 6.99 payment otherwise.

I have other things to pay for, like this years steam summer sale

I am broke, but i will find a way

Well, I'd try to get it paid for sometime this summer.  Because that's usually when low temps matter the most.  As long is it gets taken care of before you reach too dangerous temps you should be fine.

I guess the crack season will have start early this year

I will get it bought tommorow