My first PC build; how it went

Matthew Taylor

Hello, recently I have build my first gaming PC with money I got for my birthday and I think it went well. I chose the AMD FX6300 processor as its 6 cores are good for multitasking. I am hoping to streaming and rendering which I am hoping will utilize more cores (I have 6)  as my other option on team blue was an i3 with dual cores and hyperthreading. I decided to go with the MSI Geforce 2G GTX960 for my GPU because it has a much lower TDP than the R9 280x on the AMD side and similar benchmarks and games I am playing. Motherboard was Asus M5A78L micro atx board, budget dictated this choice. 2x4gb HyperX Fury 1333MHz DDR3, 1TB WD Blue HDD because soon I will be getting an SSD for games and OS so I didn't want anything bigger for the time being. I got the Corsair Carbide Spec 01 mid tower as it was fairly cheap, looked well built and fitted my colour scheme. I chose the XFX Pro semi modular 650watt PSU as I like my PC being tidy and not having loads of fixed cables will help with that, PSU was also well reviewed. I got a couple more Corsair AF120 fans to go with my case fan. I also needed 2 3pin splitter as the motherboard only has 1 3pin slot. The build went well despite a few problems I encountered, I bent a pin in my CPU when installing it which I has to straighten back out but I am pretty sure it was just a grounding pin and it wasnt bent to bad. I used a credit card to push it back straight as it wasnt fitting in my socket. I also had problems as my RAM wouldnt go all the way in and first time I booted it one of the ram sticks was in the wrong slot so the dual channel wasnt working meaning I had 4GB of ram. My PC booted first time which was a releif as a new system builder. After installing drivers I decided to download Battlefield 4 as I was suprised at just how good it was performing. On Ultra preset I was averaging 60 FPS after trying most maps but I decided to turn it down high and I was frequently hitting 100FPS on 64 player maps and averiging over 85 FPS and frame drops were never noticable as my Monitor (BenQ GL2250) is capped at 60Hz refresh rate so the game was so playable and looked beutiful, a massive improvement from my last system which struggled to hit 60 FPS low. All these framerates were at 1080p. I will include some pictures of my rig (sorry about the blurriness, phone camera). Bye

post-232026-0-02910700-1432985203_thumb.post-232026-0-58083800-1432985196_thumb.post-232026-0-50308700-1432985209_thumb.

PS What do you think of my cable management? How can I improve it? Most the stuff I ran round the back and took out what I needed though the front.

You could tug the 24pin and VGA pin more at the back and it should be gold

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H