Sony Xperia or HTC ONE????!!!

These are my only two choices.  I've heard good things about both phones, I'm having trouble deciding which. 

please include why in your answer.

Is one of these phones better for rooting?

SONY Xperia Z ultra vs HTC ONE

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

HTC One seems to be a solid phone. I don't have any experience with Sony phones but my guess since it's not a front page device, It's probably not noteworthy. It might be a good phone but maybe not as good as the One. 

With a popular phone like that I am sure there are plenty of communities out there who would be able to assist with modifying the One. 

The Sony Xperia Z is a great phone
the ultra is effectively a tablet so not really worth it. but the Z is a brilliant device and it just got the 4.2.2 update.
My only complaint about the device is the loudspeaker is terrible. everything else is brilliant. battery life is good. picture quality and normal phone usage and even heavy it'll hold up.

no experience with the One personally. but from what I gather the difference is camera, size and speakers. oh and materials used.
Sony and HTC are both level in quality and are the only two companies I recommend to people for a mobile device.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

In my opinion, I'd go with the HTC One, but that's because it has a higher density screen and front-facing speakers. I wouldn't choose a phone on which is best for rooting, but which one has features that I know I'll like. For me, that's the One. 

I have no doubt that you can root both, and the Z Ultra will most likely get better performance regardless.