The state of UHD gaming - ArsTechnica

zMeul

There's this thing called graphics tweaking. You can make very minor adjustments in a lot of games for massive framerate improvements.

For example in Battlefield 4 I doubled my framerate by reducing Lighting and particle effects from "very high" to "high". These benchmarks are always done with settings cranked (and often MSAA for some dumb fuck reason) and are NOT representative of the gaming experience you can achieve at 4K if you're willing to sacrifice some fidelity, even on a single card like a 290 or 290x. And with multi GPU configs like 290 CF or 295x2, the former of which is only $500 in GPU power these days, 4K is fairly accessible if you're willing to buy the appropriate set up for it.

But lets be honest here, 1440p is ~2% of the market and 4K is 0.06% of the market according to Steam. People have been gaming at 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 for over a decade, but it has never caught on significantly and neither will 4K for a long, long time.

Personally, I love the experience of 4K. The pixel density on a 28 inch monitor is such that I don't need any anti-aliasing and while I may seem some jaggies if I stop and look for them it's a far cry from 1080p or 1440p where they blind me from afar. 1440p is the most logical step up though from 1080p for the vast majority of people and is far more affordable.

http://i.imgur.com/VYK8RhF.jpg

People don't understand that benchmarks aren't real world. They are artificially tough. As many reviewers have said, they wouldn't use high AA at 4k, but for fair comparison to 1080p in benchmarks, they must use equal settings.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

People don't understand that benchmarks aren't real world. They are artificially tough. As many reviewers have said, they wouldn't use high AA at 4k, but for fair comparison to 1080p in benchmarks, they must use equal settings.

Solution, don't bench using AA at all when comparing graphics card performance across resolutions.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's it. "Being a thing" is quite relative i guess.

If you ask me, then it's not a thing if you have to pay at least 1000$ (if you're lucky) only for a graphics card to get a smooth experience at high settings.

But there seem to be enough people being able and willing to spend 5K every year for new stuff (monitors, pc etc), so for those - sure. It's a thing.

2x R9 290 = 2x 369.00 AUD = 738.00 AUD

Lot less then $1000, Assuming your in the States, which means it would cost around 570.80USD at current exchange rates (that figure also includes 10% GST)

This is what I did. (to be honest I tend to play my games windowed so I can watch a movie or youtube at the same time, so the crossfire was a little bit of a waste).

Solution, don't bench using AA at all when comparing graphics card performance across resolutions.

Oh I completely agree with you. The biggest problem for 4k at the moment is its misrepresentation in reviews. On top of that, there are far to many people spouting misinformation based on things they've 'read or seen' without any actual personal experience with the resolution. Gsync alone has shown that frame rate isn't as important as smooth gameplay. I personally just swapped out 2 crossfire 290s in favour of a single GTX 980, simple due to smoother performance, even at lower frame rates. Also worth noting some games run at ultra at 4K very well on a single GPU. Great example being Bioshock infinite.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

So because you cannot get >60fps at max settings in very demanding games you cannot game at 4k? Ever thought to, I dunno, TURN THE SETTINGS DOWN A LITTLE BIT? Also what about the other thousands of games that aren't incredibly demanding? There's not a single game I own that I cannot play with my R9 290 at 4k with decent settings and decent framerates (>=45-50+), including things like GTA 5 and BF4.

smh

RIP in pepperonis m8s

So because you cannot get >60fps at max settings in very demanding games you cannot game at 4k? Ever thought to, I dunno, TURN THE SETTINGS DOWN A LITTLE BIT? Also what about the other thousands of games that aren't incredibly demanding? There's not a single game I own that I cannot play with my R9 290 at 4k with decent settings and decent framerates (>=45-50+), including things like GTA 5 and BF4.

smh

Also, idiots who turn on AA @ 4K-when there is no excuse or reason to actually use it at such a high resolution.

PMSL

Also, idiots who turn on AA @ 4K-when there is no excuse or reason to actually use it at such a high resolution.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons people are claiming you need more than 4GB of VRAM for gaming at 4K. Again. Too much misinformation.

Spoiler

To be frank, gaming is a luxury in and of itself.

I disagree. It's a vital part of our lives. I mean, if you want to be technical, anything that's not sleeping, eating or shitting is a luxury. You dont actually have to wash yourself, you'll just stink like a motherfucker if you dont.

The video game industry is massive and provides jobs to a lot of people, directly and indirectly.

To be frank, gaming is a luxury in and of itself.

So is 99% of the things we take for granted

Let's agree to disagree

Exactly. This is one of the reasons people are claiming you need more than 4GB of VRAM for gaming at 4K. Again. Too much misinformation.

I should do a comparison on my GTX 650 ti 2GB with the vRAM usage difference between 1080p full AA and no AA. I've got the majority of vRAM 'hungry' games so it should be good. Also, my GTX 970 with 4K DSR might be worth comparing as well.

PMSL

Jesus, it took a while for GPUs to catch up with 1080p, yet here we are. GPUs that CRUSH 1080p like it's nothing. My 3 year old 680 smashes 1080p no issues. 4K will be easily driven in the next 3-5 years.

problem with what you said is you didn't mention what games and/or setting.

1080p on low.. Yeah no problem in most cases

1080p on ultra, Witcher 3 said hi.

I had a 690 not long ago, and I could barely run hitman absolution some weeks after its release on 60, not to mention surround with was my main focus back then.

Imo Nvidia and amd. Focus too much on each other or last year's games rather then on the future titles it's not like they can get a demo.. .

It's like this every year, new game comes, new GPU comes. They don't work to well witch one another. Next year, same story.

If Nvidia and AMD tried to make a gpu that didn't focus on last year's game and instead upcoming year it would be less of an issue For the average consumer.

But clearly we have to buy a high end GPU or two just to play this years titles at 1080p /60fps.

4k or even 1440 is for top dogs with deep pockets.

And I didn't even mention 144hz gaming...

Anything is doable if you throw enough money at it, but it's not ideal in any bloody way. And it should not be the solution.

From what I have heard, most people running 4K do not use AA, so this table could be better by including a "With/Without AA" column.

FXAA is hardly taxing, the runs without it would not make a huge difference

I disagree. It's a vital part of our lives. I mean, if you want to be technical, anything that's not sleeping, eating or shitting is a luxury. You dont actually have to wash yourself, you'll just stink like a motherfucker if you dont.

The video game industry is massive and provides jobs to a lot of people, directly and indirectly.

Even having a job today is a borderline luxury, depending on your area. Anything outside of your necessities is a luxury.

So is 99% of the things we take for granted

Yep.

not to repeat the obvious (haven't read through thread but I'm sure I'm repeating someone), but why are all those 4K examples using AA?

*edit* also, lol at Assassin creed Unity.  :lol:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Lol 4k gaming "isn't a thing" because OP can't do it. Right. Super cars aren't a thing because I can't afford one. 

funny how Jayz can afford it and funny how he basically said the same thing I did  <_<

playing the "you can't afford it" card is kindergarten logic

funny how Jayz can afford it and funny how he basically said the same thing I did <_<

Not strictly true. Jay has had a 4k monitor for a few months now. He also never said he didn't like 4k, but preferred the IPS 1440p monitor he had. He has always stated he is not a monitor person. But he does own a 4k monitor. He has tested a few cards on it. He has also never said anything negative about 4k. Just he wouldn't make the jump at the time.

Spoiler

funny how Jayz can afford it and funny how he basically said the same thing I did  <_<

That doesn't mean it isn't a thing. It is a thing. I'm doing that thing. I've been doing that thing for a while. It wasn't all that expensive either. You just have to look for deals. 

Not strictly true. Jay has had a 4k monitor for a few months now. He also never said he didn't like 4k, but preferred the IPS 1440p monitor he had. He has always stated he is not a monitor person. But he does own a 4k monitor. He has tested a few cards on it. He has also never said anything negative about 4k. Just he wouldn't make the jump at the time.

please re-read my OP, especially this part:

what JayzTwoCents has to say about UHD gaming: https://youtu.be/XZtROXwJSCE?t=12m - and he has 3 Titan X in SLI

You're stating 4k isn't a thing when it clearly is, based purely on the sheer amount of responses you got on this thread and the response you got from your original comment on the other thread. It's also hard to state 4k isn't a thing when Apple produce one of their iMacs with a 5k screen. It might not be gaming, but it's a thing. As others have stated, 4k is entirely possible with a single card, from the r9 290 upwards, at acceptable frame rates and mid to high settings. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it's not a thing. The sale of 4k monitors recently, and increasing amount being released, clearly says otherwise.

Spoiler

Jayz own Facebook page.

post-72122-0-01045000-1432785688_thumb.j

Spoiler

AA on 4K? 

Besides SLI 980Tis will crush 4K I bet. Give it 1 year, 2 years at most and single GPU cards will do just fine at a reasonable price.

Another thing that makes PC gaming so great is the ability to change the graphics settings. If you aren't happy with your FPS, drop dem settings!

^How I get by running 5760x1080 on a single 970

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

problem with what you said is you didn't mention what games and/or setting.

1080p on low.. Yeah no problem in most cases

1080p on ultra, Witcher 3 said hi.

I had a 690 not long ago, and I could barely run hitman absolution some weeks after its release on 60, not to mention surround with was my main focus back then.

Imo Nvidia and amd. Focus too much on each other or last year's games rather then on the future titles it's not like they can get a demo.. .

It's like this every year, new game comes, new GPU comes. They don't work to well witch one another. Next year, same story.

If Nvidia and AMD tried to make a gpu that didn't focus on last year's game and instead upcoming year it would be less of an issue For the average consumer.

But clearly we have to buy a high end GPU or two just to play this years titles at 1080p /60fps.

4k or even 1440 is for top dogs with deep pockets.

And I didn't even mention 144hz gaming...

Anything is doable if you throw enough money at it, but it's not ideal in any bloody way. And it should not be the solution.

By crush, I mean that my 680, on high settings, can still tackle ultra/very high settings in most modern games (Witcher 3 might be an exception :lol: yet to try it out). I should add that I have the Asus DCU2 triple slot cooler version, so I can OC the absolute living fuck out of that shit. Almost 1300Mhz core with almost 7Ghz on the memory. It's a beautiful thing :wub:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness