GTX970 SLI vs GTX980 considering upcoming DX12 games

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

In almost all cases, a single card is better than two lower end ones. 2x 970 vs 980 is an exception because of the price and overall good value of the 970. It's still not completely confirmed how vRAM will work in DX12, as well as the fact that developers will need to support the stacking, as well as Nvidia (who have a reputation of being very strict when it comes to SLI). 

It's also not clear how SLI 970s will cope with it, seeing as they have a 3.5GB effective, full speed vRAM. If DX12 stacking makes it so that it fills up one card's vRAM first, then you may still run into the issue of the 0.5GB not running at full speed. 

Still, SLI 970s is a better choice. 

(I apologise in advance if I posted in the wrong thread or if the topic is repeated, I searched in the forum but I couldn't find an answer to my specific doubt)

hello everyone, 

I'm planning on building a gaming PC (I'll be ordering the components in the next 1-2 months --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xdp3nQ) but I'm really uncertain about what GPU/s I should get. 

I'll be playing on a 1080p monitor for some time (until I can afford a better 1440p/144Hz panel) so I guess either of the options would be fine for the time being, so my main concern is wether I should get 2 GTX970s right out of the bat or one GTX980 now and upgrade later if needed, especially considering that DX12 will allow VRAM stacking (so, in theory, 2 GTX970 = 8 effective GB of VRAM). 

thanks in advance,
have a nice day  :) 

There is no proof that DX12 will stack VRAM, although I am keeping my fingers crossed with my 970 SLI... but, if you can, get the 970SLI, it yields up to 70-80% more performance over a single 980 :)

In almost all cases, a single card is better than two lower end ones. 2x 970 vs 980 is an exception because of the price and overall good value of the 970. It's still not completely confirmed how vRAM will work in DX12, as well as the fact that developers will need to support the stacking, as well as Nvidia (who have a reputation of being very strict when it comes to SLI). 

It's also not clear how SLI 970s will cope with it, seeing as they have a 3.5GB effective, full speed vRAM. If DX12 stacking makes it so that it fills up one card's vRAM first, then you may still run into the issue of the 0.5GB not running at full speed. 

Still, SLI 970s is a better choice. 

(so, in theory, 2 GTX970 = 8 7 effective GB of VRAM).

Seriously though, we won't know until a few games are released that support DX12.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

DX12 isnt out no one knows...gets 980...if you really wanna sli get second used one down the road I say.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

There is no proof that DX12 will stack VRAM, although I am keeping my fingers crossed with my 970 SLI... but, if you can, get the 970SLI, it yields up to 70-80% more performance over a single 980 :)

Pretty much this

From my understanding, the way it's going to work is not by actual stacking like people are thinking, but enabling both cards vram to be used by the application; the application will control which card loads which texture or whatever.

From my understanding, the way it's going to work is not by actual stacking like people are thinking, but enabling both cards vram to be used by the application; the application will control which card loads which texture or whatever.

Still, nice thought :) I am hoping it will do something beneficial

I guess I'll go with 2 GTX970 then :) 

thanks to everyone for your replies  :D