burning a 1080p movie on DVD/blueray?

DotoreN
Go to solution Solved by techguru,

so basically I only need a HDMI to HDMI cable?

or VGA -> HDMI in case I have no HDMI on the laptop

Plug one in the laptop and one in the TV and i'll be able to watch movies ?

yep

but the vga to hdmi would require audio to

so hope it has a hdmi port

otherwise the quality of the picture is gonna be blah..and you will need a second audio cable

Ok so I usually download movies/series and watch them on my PC.

The thing is, we have a huge and nice quality TV, but it isn't a smart-tv as my parents bought it just before the smart-tv became the shit.

So I have been wondering, how can I give my parents the ability to watch some of the movies/series I downloaded in 1080p on tv that is't a smart-tv?

I have been thinking of maybe burning to a DVD or Blueray, but I wasn't sure whether they can hold 2hours of 1080p footage.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SNIP

Of course a Blu Ray can hold 2 hours of 1080p, . thats kind of what they are for 1080p movies :P haha - I mean the average blu ray can hold like 25gb of data

Honestly though I would look into getting an HDMI media player (or a little android TV stick) and loading up the shows and movies to an SD Card or USB stick - something like the Sumvision Cyclone or something cheap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You should be fine if you burn it as long as its legal :P  

You should be fine if you burn it as long as its legal :P  

Illigal  :ph34r:

I am going to agree with @ShadowCaptain here.  I would say you best results would be from getting a small device or cheap mini comp that can connect to the TV.  Teach them how to use it, and then just keep loading it up with all the new stuff you want them to have.  It would allow for the most versatility and likely would make everyone happiest.

Of course a Blu Ray can hold 2 hours of 1080p, . thats kind of what they are for 1080p movies :P haha - I mean the average blu ray can hold like 25gb of data

Honestly though I would look into getting an HDMI media player (or a little android TV stick) and loading up the shows and movies to an SD Card or USB stick - something like the Sumvision Cyclone or something cheap

I am going to agree with @ShadowCaptain here.  I would say you best results would be from getting a small device or cheap mini comp that can connect to the TV.  Teach them how to use it, and then just keep loading it up with all the new stuff you want them to have.  It would allow for the most versatility and likely would make everyone happiest.

What is the difference between a HDMI player such as the Sumvision Cyclone and the android stick?

Not sure what to pick.. aslong as I can put movies in 1080p on it and remove it all the time to replace it by unseen movies, then i'll go for the cheapest one.

And thanks for this great suggestion!

Roku3 can play from external hdd / usb stick and your network

Amazon FireTV with XBMC can play over the network

Chromecast can stream directly over your network and cast youtube, plex, etc...

They also support things like Netflix & Hulu apps and such if they want to use online streaming services

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

150bucks for just watching a 1080p movie once a week?!

The only thing I need is a cheap option to watch 1080p movies on a HDMI tv.

What's the advantage of having that expensive stick over for example the Sumvision cyclone?

Thanks for the suggestions and i'll look into that.

But I have the feeling I pay a ton of money for, for example windows 8.1, cpu and all that while I will never use it, the only thing I want is to be able to watch 1 movie in 1080p. I have no other purpose than watching a movie (from USB) on my TV.

I thought a USB -> cheap 20-40dollar decoder thing -> HDMI would work. 

I thought a USB -> cheap 20-40dollar decoder thing -> HDMI would work....yea except theres no such thing as a "cheap 1080p decoder thing"

needs a decent cpu to do it with hardware decoding or software decoding

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

the cyclone would last longer to since its really a small dedicated pc..where the software can be easily updated to support new codecs

id probably install the linux version of KODI on it...

then you could just put your 1080p movies on a flash card for your parents and they could easily click play 

id probably install the linux version of KODI on it...

then you could just put your 1080p movies on a flash card for your parents and they could easily click play 

I just heard they have an old i3 laptop they don't use anymore, would this work ?

What would I need apart from the laptop & tv to make this work :P

it would work...long as that laptop has a hdmi port on it

it would work...long as that laptop has a hdmi port on it

yep

otherwise the quality of the picture is gonna be blah..and you will need a second audio cable

yep

Thanks for the help!

It does have HDMI! 

So I guess there will be no loss in quality / audio with HDMI -> HDMI ?  ^_^

Thanks for the help!

It does have HDMI! 

So I guess there will be no loss in quality / audio with HDMI -> HDMI ?  ^_^

should be good to go then

I would install KODI on it..

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii