ASUS P5B not working

Kaffefilter5

Over the last couple of months, I have been planning a cheap LGA775 build with a Socket 771 CPU. It did not take long until I had a long list of problems. I can get the system to boot into windows with only 1 ram stick, but usually crashes within 5 mins.

System info/Specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 with mod sticker properly installed

MoBo: ASUS P5B with socket modded, newest bios and Xeon microcode. No bent pins.

RAM: 2 x 4 GB 800MHz low-density unregistered (confirmed to work on P5B by seller)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Here are some of the problems:

-System is extremely slow and crashes after 5 mins in windows with 1 stick of ram

-System is almost always unable to start with more than 1 ram stick

-Overclocking is impossible past 3.1ish GHz. Even the voltage is more than enough and temps cool, it says "Overclocking Failed!"

Things I have tried:

-Plenty of CMOS resets

-Updated BIOS

-Added Xeon Microcode

-Install Windows 7 Ultimate, ran through Windows Update like 5 times + installed all drivers for all parts.

-Tried all RAM sticks individually on each slot, everything works

-MemTest86 on all sticks individually as well as all together, 0 errors.

-New modsticker on CPU

-Clean out socket with compressed air

-Disable almost all BIOS features like power saving features and other useless junk

-Boot with only keyboard (all different USB slots tried), Graphics card, CPU and single ram slot. Then add storage

-Swap out CPU with Core2Duo E6600, worked smoothly with 8GB RAM

Do any of you guys have any idea what could be wrong? All help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Over the last couple of months, I have been planning a cheap LGA775 build with a Socket 771 CPU. It did not take long until I had a long list of problems. I can get the system to boot into windows with only 1 ram stick, but usually crashes within 5 mins.

System info/Specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 with mod sticker properly installed

MoBo: ASUS P5B with socket modded, newest bios and Xeon microcode. No bent pins.

RAM: 2 x 4 GB 800MHz low-density unregistered (confirmed to work on P5B by seller)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Here are some of the problems:

-System is extremely slow and crashes after 5 mins in windows with 1 stick of ram

-System is almost always unable to start with more than 1 ram stick

-Overclocking is impossible past 3.1ish GHz. Even the voltage is more than enough and temps cool, it says "Overclocking Failed!"

Things I have tried:

-Plenty of CMOS resets

-Updated BIOS

-Added Xeon Microcode

-Install Windows 7 Ultimate, ran through Windows Update like 5 times + installed all drivers for all parts.

-Tried all RAM sticks individually on each slot, everything works

-MemTest86 on all sticks individually as well as all together, 0 errors.

-New modsticker on CPU

-Clean out socket with compressed air

-Disable almost all BIOS features like power saving features and other useless junk

-Boot with only keyboard (all different USB slots tried), Graphics card, CPU and single ram slot. Then add storage

-Swap out CPU with Core2Duo E6600, worked smoothly with 8GB RAM

Do any of you guys have any idea what could be wrong? All help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

"-Swap out CPU with Core2Duo E6600, worked smoothly with 8GB RAM"

So, you took a different CPU and suddenly everything worked? I think the other CPU is simply dead in some way. I'm not an expert, but what else would it be then?

"-Swap out CPU with Core2Duo E6600, worked smoothly with 8GB RAM"

So, you took a different CPU and suddenly everything worked? I think the other CPU is simply dead in some way. I'm not an expert, but what else would it be then?

Yeah, the CPU is probably the issue. Either it is dead in some way, or it could be some driver/other combatibility issue between cpu/mobo or ram. My hope is that it could be a BIOS error that is fixable, but the CPU probably has to go.

Yeah, the CPU is probably the issue. Either it is dead in some way, or it could be some driver/other combatibility issue between cpu/mobo or ram. My hope is that it could be a BIOS error that is fixable, but the CPU probably has to go.

I've just read something about the 771 to 775 "transform". Did you use one of those adapter stickers to actually use the xeon on the asus board? Cause otherwise it won't work as it seems.

I've just read something about the 771 to 775 "transform". Did you use one of those adapter stickers to actually use the xeon on the asus board? Cause otherwise it won't work as it seems.

Yes, I applied the sticker and checked that it is 100% seated with a magnifying glass. Didn't work so I tried with another sticker. I also cut the MoBo socket to fit as well as cleaning it out. Im determined that the CPU is installed correctly, and I checked for bent pins, should be none.

officially gave up, ordered a core2quad Q9450 instead. It is basically the same CPU, but it provides socket 775 support stock, and according to ASUS' website, it is guaranteed to work. Maybe I would have gotten the X5450 to work, but I also want to really push the overclocks, and the Xeon has already caused enough headaches. Thanks for your contributions.