This sums up the hate part of my love hate relationship with PC games

joelthezombie15

So i have a crap computer but i wanted to see if i could play GTA IV. So, i sat there for 6.5 hours waiting for it to install. Then when it was done and i was all excited i clicked play, and it took another 30 minutes to do the dumb first time setup thing. then after that was all done I had to make a account for the rockstar social play crap because apparently steam isnt good enough, So i go through the 5 minute process of getting that set up. and then i think im done. OH NO no i am far from done. I then have to enter some key for the game so i went on a 15 min long hunt to find this key. then once i finally enter the key I am sitting there for 10 min waiting for the game to load and right when its about to finish, it shuts down and pops this little box on my screen saying...

2xxHGL0.jpg?2

So i go and download the windows vista service pack 1 because thats what it says i need. so after 5 more min of sitting there waiting for that to download. And finally its done and i click it and it says.that i cant use this one because i have win 7. So i go and i download the win 7 one which took 10 min and i click it and i notice its the server one so i go back and download the regular windows 7 service pack 1 from this scary website that tried to get me to install there toolbar and crap and 15 min later after THAT is done. I go to try and play my game FINALLY and then i get this...

2xxHGL0.jpg?2

YUP the same thing as what happened before. So i go and ask @Bleedman0xx and he goes and looks and tells me to try #5 on this place

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254474

So i go and do that and 3 min later i try the game again and it still doesnt work so he tells me to try #12

So i try #12 and like 5 min later it still doesnt work as i am missing the file i need. So he tells me to go to steam and check to make sure that the files for the game are all okay and what not so i go to do that and after sitting there for 2 or 3 min and it not working or responding or anything I had to go to task manager and shut it down 3 times because it wouldnt work the first 2 times I decided ya know what, never mind I probably cant even play this game any way. 

Lets add up the time wasted trying to do this:

6.5 Hr. - Game install

30 Min - First time setup

5 Min - Setting up social thing

15 Min - Key Hunt

10 Min - Loading game

5 Min - Vista install

10 Min - Server install

15 Min - Proper win 7 install

3 Min -  Entry #5

5 Min - Entry #12

3 Min - Waiting for verification

Almost like 7.5 Hr wasted trying to get a game to work.

This is why i hate PC gaming, with a console, you pop the disk in, install the update and it works. but NO not with PC. I love everything else about PC but this, this is one of the worst experiences in my life.

This was my rant. take it for what it is. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I'm going through the same thing right now lol. Stupid AMD PowerPlay technology feels the need to downclock my 7950 while playing Dark Souls and is causing serious frame spikes and ruining the game for me lol. I'm going to lose my shit real soon if I can't figure a way around this XD

This is why i hate PC gaming, with a console, you pop the disk in, install the update and it works. but NO not with PC. I love everything else about PC but this, this is one of the worst experiences in my life.

I so feel for you. I've been in these situations so many times and it is so frustrating. Several occasions I actually just gave up all together. Console life is much simpler, but I wouldn't trade that for the lovely gmaing world of PC gaming  :D hehe

It is good practice and experience, for next time at least. So when you show off to your mates, you can "wow" them with your "expert" knowledge  ^_^

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I'm going through the same thing right now lol. Stupid AMD PowerPlay technology feels the need to downclock my 7950 while playing Dark Souls and is causing serious frame spikes and ruining the game for me lol. I'm going to lose my shit real soon if I can't figure a way around this XD

I think thats a tactic in dark souls to make it even more unbelievably hard. :p

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Quite a few of those issues could've been avoided had you read the system requirements...jus' saying. Also the keys you need will be stored in Steam - not sure how it took you 15 mins to find a key if it's the one i'm assuming you mean..

Quite a few of those issues could've been avoided had you read the system requirements...jus' saying. Also the keys you need will be stored in Steam - not sure how it took you 15 mins to find a key if it's the one i'm assuming you mean..

I did read the system requirements but i figured i would give it a shot and see just maybe i could play it. and this was the first time ive had to use a key in steam and i didnt know the first place to look so it took me a while.

I did read the system requirements but i figured i would give it a shot and see just maybe i could play it. and this was the first time ive had to use a key in steam and i didnt know the first place to look so it took me a while.

Right - that's not a downfall of the PC platform any more than it would be on console. It's the equivalent of choosing an Xbox360 game and trying to play it on the PS3 only for it not to work..

Consoles may be less of a hassle but you're also getting less from them. It's a tradeoff.

Ooooff, that's harsh. I tried running Deus Ex : Human Revolution on my old computer and MAN did it take a long time to set up. Including download time and troubleshooting, probably 6+ hours... then I had a weird mouse sensitivity issue that was fixed by turning the details up for some reason... except then it was too much for my computer and I had to play at 15-20FPS... gave up halfway through (although only because things got in the way and I couldn't be bothered getting back into it afterwards). Now I have my new computer I should get back into it, it was really fun

Wit is educated insolence.

Quite a few of those issues could've been avoided had you read the system requirements...jus' saying.

These seem to be more software related problems rather than hardware. 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Thank stupid consoles and Rockstar for making this port with GFWL.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

its just a bad port, rockstar isnt good with pc ports at all. also you coulda have googled the error, considering your using 7. and with mine i have to install GFWL then the update (1.1.7.0) then reinstall GFWL for it to work |(

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

These seem to be more software related problems rather than hardware. 

Obviously it's more software related - it's a game. The issues are not the game itself, the issue is understanding what you need for the game to run. Granted, on console you don't run into these problems, but then again on console, you are severely limited in how much "game" you get for your money.

So i have a crap computer but i wanted to see if i could play GTA IV. So, i sat there for 6.5 hours waiting for it to install. Then when it was done and i was all excited i clicked play, and it took another 30 minutes to do the dumb first time setup thing. then after that was all done I had to make a account for the rockstar social play crap because apparently steam isnt good enough, So i go through the 5 minute process of getting that set up. and then i think im done. OH NO no i am far from done. I then have to enter some key for the game so i went on a 15 min long hunt to find this key. then once i finally enter the key I am sitting there for 10 min waiting for the game to load and right when its about to finish, it shuts down and pops this little box on my screen saying...

2xxHGL0.jpg?2

So i go and download the windows vista service pack 1 because thats what it says i need. so after 5 more min of sitting there waiting for that to download. And finally its done and i click it and it says.that i cant use this one because i have win 7. So i go and i download the win 7 one which took 10 min and i click it and i notice its the server one so i go back and download the regular windows 7 service pack 1 from this scary website that tried to get me to install there toolbar and crap and 15 min later after THAT is done. I go to try and play my game FINALLY and then i get this...

2xxHGL0.jpg?2

YUP the same thing as what happened before. So i go and ask @Bleedman0xx and he goes and looks and tells me to try #5 on this place

So i go and do that and 3 min later i try the game again and it still doesnt work so he tells me to try #12

So i try #12 and like 5 min later it still doesnt work as i am missing the file i need. So he tells me to go to steam and check to make sure that the files for the game are all okay and what not so i go to do that and after sitting there for 2 or 3 min and it not working or responding or anything I had to go to task manager and shut it down 3 times because it wouldnt work the first 2 times I decided ya know what, never mind I probably cant even play this game any way. 

Lets add up the time wasted trying to do this:

6.5 Hr. - Game install

30 Min - First time setup

5 Min - Setting up social thing

15 Min - Key Hunt

10 Min - Loading game

5 Min - Vista install

10 Min - Server install

15 Min - Proper win 7 install

3 Min -  Entry #5

5 Min - Entry #12

3 Min - Waiting for verification

Almost like 7.5 Hr wasted trying to get a game to work.

This was my rant. take it for what it is. 

the installation of the game,is stupid and they dont tell you what to do.so this took my 1 hour

and than i started the game

got to the 2 first words of the story ,and ......... CRASH! 

i needed to serch the problem for about an hour

than uninstalling all of  games for windows live stuff

and than reinstalling them

and only than it worked.

this is one of the problems with pc gaming

if you have a console you just pop the game into the disk drive and you done  ;)

As much as I dislike the problems you can run in to with PC Gaming there is now way I would trade it for console gaming. The mods alone for GTA IV make it worth the effort to run the PC version (I mean, have you seen the Iron Man mod!)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

As much as I dislike the problems you can run in to with PC Gaming there is now way I would trade it for console gaming. The mods alone for GTA IV make it worth the effort to run the PC version (I mean, have you seen the Iron Man mod!)

Have you seen the Hulk mod is the real question

Console for me anyday. No fiddling around with games, in game settings, can i run this or that, etc. Just pop in the disc, install the game, and play. I love console gaming. But im still angry at not being able to get a next gen console this year. I dont want to wait!!!

BLAOW!!!!

I think this is the main issue. Downloading unnecessary things, using unofficial download links, etc. You don't seem to know much about your own computer or how manage it properly, but you blame PC gaming as a whole instead of realizing your own mistakes.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

Quite a few of those issues could've been avoided had you read the system requirements...jus' saying. 

Obviously it's more software related - it's a game.

He did meet the system requirements for software. The game should have run. 

Very poorly yes, maybe he would have to run it in a window 1024x768 with everything on minimum to get 20 FPS on that hardware.

But he does meet the software requirements.

And more to the point, PC gaming is not as flawless as console gaming. That's what this post aims to criticize. I don't even own a console, I have a powerful PC and I'll admit these kinds of things are a problem with the platform that is usually created by the game devs laziness to make a proper port.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Once you get pass all the technical parts, your overall experience will be better than consoles.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Don't blame the platform for the incompetence/apathy of the team that did the port.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)