My cousin's gaming PC

Go to solution Solved by Tom is a Door,

games like TF2? why you no go Apu side of things? Unless he wants to upgrade later

Hey guys! So, I'm building my cousin a gaming rig, but I'm not sure how much vram he needs, Also, I can't figure out which to choose: Nvidea or AMD. From what I've benn looking at on newegg, AMD is a lot cheaper. So, his budget is $500 and his dad told me that he's going to be playing games like tf2; not that intensive. So, what should I get? I already spent $451( almost all of it). So, what should I get? I know how the AMD APU technology is pretty good, but I want to get him an actual gpu, so that he can upgrade easily. SO, what gpu or APU should I get? And, while I'm here, can you guys give me suggestions about the main build(other than the gpu)? I'll put a screen snip of it in the PNG file on this post. Thank you in advance for helping me!

post-228506-0-04475100-1432483306_thumb.

The PSU is way to much and you should throw in a SSD

Hey guys! So, I'm building my cousin a gaming rig, but I'm not sure how much vram he needs, Also, I can't figure out which to choose: Nvidea or AMD. From what I've benn looking at on newegg, AMD is a lot cheaper. So, his budget is $500 and his dad told me that he's going to be playing games like tf2; not that intensive. So, what should I get? I already spent $451( almost all of it). So, what should I get? I know how the AMD APU technology is pretty good, but I want to get him an actual gpu, so that he can upgrade easily. SO, what gpu or APU should I get? And, while I'm here, can you guys give me suggestions about the main build(other than the gpu)? I'll put a screen snip of it in the PNG file on this post. Thank you in advance for helping me!

first...change to using pcpartspicker

so we can edit this list for you

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

games like TF2? why you no go Apu side of things? Unless he wants to upgrade later

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.10 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: *Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($45.90 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: *XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.60 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $511.57

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-24 12:05 EDT-0400

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

PSU is overkill and get an i3 with a h81 mobo instead. For the gpu I don't know how much room you still have but try to find a 280, if not possible then 270x

and why is the hdd so expensive?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Well, the R9 series gpus from AMD require atleast 750w of power, based on Newegg's specifications.

PSU is overkill and get an i3 with a h81 mobo instead. For the gpu I don't know how much room you still have but try to find a 280, if not possible then 270x

and why is the hdd so expensive?

I'm buying 2 HDDs to put in RAID 1

Well, the R9 series gpus from AMD require atleast 750w of power, based on Newegg's specifications.

recommended they can actually run off much much less

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.99 @ Directron) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $507.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-24 12:08 EDT-0400

Oh, thanks, didn't know that APUs are good with TF2

recommended they can actually run off much much less

What? It said 750w minimum though?

alright dude I don't think you NEED an SSD for a $500 build. Like come on no matter the budget I've seen people do $400 builds. "Throw in an SSD" You can't do that without sacrificing a bunch of performance.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I am running OC'ed r9 270 with 500w

Hey im rocking that same motherboard and its quite stable. I suggest you downgrade your choice of powersupply so you same spend a little more on other components that will directly affect performance, your GPU. I have an FX-8350 along with that board and an R9 285.. It can live with my PSU a corsair 650w one. Yours is a lower wattage chip and i would presume you'll use somewhat a low end card as well considering your targettingnon intensive games.

first...change to using pcpartspicker

so we can edit this list for you

Ok, I'll switch to Pcpartpicker.

I'm buying 2 HDDs to put in RAID 1

is it neccesary? Because for that extra 50$ you can get a better cpu, mobo, gpu or case

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

What? It said 750w minimum though?

thats say if your running an extremely power hungry cpu

in reality your entire system with a 280x will use a max of 380w

alright dude I don't think you NEED an SSD for a $500 build. Like come on no matter the budget I've seen people do $400 builds. "Throw in an SSD" You can't do that without sacrificing a bunch of performance.

You could at least use one for the OS after you save on the PSU. But yes, they're not necessary on a budget build.

You could at least use one for the OS after you save on the PSU. But yes, they're not necessary on a budget build.

I understand this but an SSD literally takes no more then 2 minutes to install after he saves up another $100

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)