PowerColor Releases Ad for Upcoming AMD GPU

nunya bus

Yeah with Fiji and the 980ti, its looking like the opposite of what we had with 290x vs 780ti. the 780ti was more powerful than the 290x, but had less Vram. Now the Fiji is stomping the 980ti in leaked benchmarks from Chiphell, but has less Vram. AMD will have to put more effort into Vram management until HBM2, but damn what a flip flop from last Gen.  

I'm currently using the Asus MG279Q monitor, so when Fiji hits the market I'll be grabbing one straight away. 4GB of VRAM should be fine for 1440p regardless.

So the 290x was marketed as a 4k capable card and this is only 1440p? This is the next generation up!!! Come on guys get your shit together!!

Anyway im interested to see how the 4GB of HBM Stack up against 4GB and 8GB GDDR5 Cards. There will most likely be a good improvement over the 4GB GDDR5 But im really interested to see how it stacks up (lol) against 8GB. How close can they get. Maybe the reason they haven't announced the 8GB to start with is because of how close performance wise HBM is to the GDDR5.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

So the 290x was marketed as a 4k capable card and this is only 1440p? This is the next generation up!!! Come on AMD get your shit together!!

Anyway im interested to see how the 4GB of HBM Stack up against 4GB and 8GB GDDR5 Cards. There will most likely be a good improvement over the 4GB GDDR5 But im really interested to see how it stacks up (lol) against 8GB. How close can they get. Maybe the reason they haven't announced the 8GB to start with is because of how close preformance wise HBM is to the GDDR5.

AMD didn't make the ad.

AMD didn't make the ad.

fixed

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

4GB is even cutting it close for Dying Light or The Witcher 3 1080p, if they're marketing it for 4K they are a special level of idiot.

I feel sorry for AMD, having drawn the short straw for board partners on the GPU side. Seems a generation won't pass unless one or more of them have a massive cock-up.

Radeon 7xxx series: XFX coil whine from hell, Sapphire 7850 huge RMA rate

R7/ R9 2xx series: ASUS VRAM corruption right out of the box on 50% of samples of "280X top" SKU, and MSi Gaming fan bearings leaking fluid

R9 3xx series: Powercolour be all like "I got this AMD, send your marketing team on holiday - A HERP DE DERP DA DOO"

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

These are the dumbest fanboy assumptions I've ever read in my entire life.

4GB is even cutting it close for Dying Light or The Witcher 3 1080p, if they're marketing it for 4K they are a special level of idiot.

I feel sorry for AMD, having drawn the short straw for board partners on the GPU side. Seems a generation won't pass unless one or more of them have a massive cock-up.

Radeon 7xxx series: XFX coil whine from hell, Sapphire 7850 huge RMA rate

R7/ R9 2xx series: ASUS VRAM corruption right out of the box on 50% of samples of "280X top" SKU, and MSi Gaming fan bearings leaking fluid

R9 3xx series: Powercolour be all like "I got this AMD, send your marketing team on holiday - A HERP DE DERP DA DOO"

Witcher 3 at 1440p ultra uses 2-2.4GB Vram. 

can't expect people to read the rest of your post unless you get the basic facts straight.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Witcher 3 at 1440p ultra uses 2-2.4GB Vram. 

can't expect people to read the rest of your post unless you get the basic facts straight.

"Cutting it close" refers to how the next step up would cause 4GB to not be enough. As texture and shadow map resolutions iterate in steps of 2x, a doubling of either (which is the next step up) would cause the frame buffer to overflow. Doubling the shadow map is possible to achieve using .ini files. (And is how the game honestly should have shipped to PC)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

"Cutting it close" refers to how the next step up would cause 4GB to not be enough. As texture and shadow map resolutions iterate in steps of 2x, a doubling of either (which is the next step up) would cause the frame buffer to overflow. Doubling the shadow map is possible to achieve using .ini files.

The problem with that logic is even 12gb of vram is cutting it close with enough ini file changes. Your argument is greatly flawed in how vram is utilized and optimized.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Lol.alot of people buying these cards (390x/halo card) will be running 1440p surround or 4k. And until dx12 running those things on 4gbis gonna piss you off. Just trying to excuse their 4gb ram

nvidia releases 3.5GB card. omg guys you dont need 4GB for 4k. AMD releases 4GB card. OMG guys you need 32784827634GB of ram for 4k

nvidia releases 3.5GB card. omg guys you dont need 4GB for 4k. AMD releases 4GB card. OMG guys you need 32784827634GB of ram for 4k

so very true

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

The GTX 970 is a 4GB graphics card :rolleyes:

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The GTX 970 is a 4GB graphics card :rolleyes:

sure let me add 8GB of gddr3 and call it a 12GB card gddr5 7000mhz

or make a cpu with 2 4.0ghz cores and 8 1mhz cores and call it a 10 core 4.0 ghz cpu

*32784827633,5 GB

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Go throw 4k texture mods on Skyrim and run it on 980 SLIs then get back to me on the whole we have no native 4k tex games and Vram limitations.

it was my impression we're not talking about mods, but off the shelf games, right?!

and quite curious how the GTX970 VRAM issue was discovered with Skyrim mods - in relation to "4Gb VRAM is enough"

---

and ps: GTX980 SLI or not, will have the same amount of usable VRAM 

---

have you noticed how CoD: AW on a GTX Titan X uses somewhere around 7.3Gb of VRAM

memory.gif

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/33.html

I believe the main argument with the 970 was that it was never meant to be a 4k card... Not that it was supposed to be a 4k card. I'm not sure when Linus made his 4k argument, but with the recent games coming out they seem to be very vram hungry at higher resolutions. If you want to play games like GTA 5, and Shadow of Mordor then you'll need more of 4gbs. I can only imagine how more hungry they'll become in the future.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Ummmmmmm... 970 wasn't meant for 4k. I never said that 3.5 go was enough for 4k. To my knowledge Noone did. 6-8 gbs is considerably better for 4k and 4gb will be a bottleneck. Don't accuse me of double standards.

- snip-

Ummmmmmm... 970 wasn't meant for 4k. I never said that 3.5 go was enough for 4k. To my knowledge Noone did. 6-8 gbs is considerably better for 4k and 4gb will be a bottleneck. Don't accuse me of double standards.

i remember you all shouting that it doesnt matter because even when it exceeded 3.5GB there isnt a difference 

have you noticed how CoD: AW on a GTX Titan X uses somewhere around 7.3Gb of VRAM

Yep. But the good thing about that game is I knows how to manage the VRAM budget. It doesn't need that much; if you have a 2GB card it will still run well.

Yep. But the good thing about that game is it knows how to manage the VRAM budget. It doesn't need that much; if you have a 2GB card it will still run well.

If its powerful and benchmarks prove it (real life scenario benchmarks, none of that synthetic bull...) then i'll consider switching back to AMD. But then again I have my doubts due to poor AMD drivers. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Yep. But the good thing about that game is it knows how to manage the VRAM budget. It doesn't need that much; if you have a 2GB card it will still run well.

This. Just because some games CAN go over 4gbs of Vram doesn't necessarily mean that they NEED more than 4gbs of Vram for 4k. Also at 4k you don't really need AA that much and when switched off that can really help memory usage. 

This. Just because some games CAN go over 4gbs of Vram doesn't necessarily mean that they NEED more than 4gbs of Vram for 4k. Also at 4k you don't really need AA that much and when switched off that can really help memory usage. 

like for example lowering quality settings?! then why would you buy a top of the line video card, for presumably 850$, when there's the Titan X for just 150$ more?!? and doesn't have limited VRAM to work with

like for example lowering quality settings?! then why would you buy a top of the line video card, for presumably 850$, when there's the Titan X for just 150$ more?!? and doesn't have limited VRAM to work with

What he's implying is a game that uses 6GB on the TITAN X can still perform better running on the 4GB Fiji. Part of being a programmer is taking an advantage of the resources that you have at your disposal. A prime example would be game servers. They don't query the database each time you kill a monster in the game because it would simply take way too long (and create a huge load). The server will cache everything from the database during startup because accessing memory is instantaneous compared to querying the database. The same concept works for most software, it's better to store what you can in memory because it won't take long to access it when you need it. The fact that you will see higher memory usage on the TITAN X just means the game is taking an advantage of utilizing its VRAM density. A lot of them resources though don't really need to be there.