Dual Monitors?

Schmarvin

Looking to purchase two monitors, identical of course. What would be a good brand? I currently have an LG 19" LCD monitor and for the secondary display I use a Sanyo 19" LCD TV.

Budget is around $300-350 for both monitors. Up to 1080i/p is preferred.

Doesn't need HDMI ports, but DVI is a must.

Good monitor brands (no order)? Dell UltraSharp series monitors, EIZO, NEC, Samsung, ASUS, BenQ and LG.

If you know nothing about monitors, here is my guide (I'll repost the entire thing on this forum soon): http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

Hope this helps.

For monitor suggestion, I need to know:

-> What do you do with your computer?

-> If you are doing gaming, what type of genre you play? (mix, FPS only, etc...)

-> Are you a hardcore competitive gamer?

-> What country are you in. The budget you mentioned doesn't tell me if you are in Canada or US?

Good monitor brands (no order)? Dell UltraSharp series monitors, EIZO, NEC, Samsung, ASUS, BenQ and LG.

If you know nothing about monitors, here is my guide (I'll repost the entire thing on this forum soon): http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

Hope this helps.

For monitor suggestion, I need to know:

-> What do you do with your computer?

-> If you are doing gaming, what type of genre you play? (mix, FPS only, etc...)

-> Are you a hardcore competitive gamer?

-> What country are you in. The budget you mentioned doesn't tell me if you are in Canada or US?

not even Acer?

Good monitor brands (no order)? Dell UltraSharp series monitors' date=' EIZO, NEC, Samsung, ASUS, BenQ and LG. If you know nothing about monitors, here is my guide (I'll repost the entire thing on this forum soon): [url']http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867 Hope this helps. For monitor suggestion, I need to know: -> What do you do with your computer? -> If you are doing gaming, what type of genre you play? (mix, FPS only, etc...) -> Are you a hardcore competitive gamer? -> What country are you in. The budget you mentioned doesn't tell me if you are in Canada or US?

Gaming and business work (workstation basically)

Shooters such as arma 2 and games like minecraft

No I'm not a hardcore gamer

USA, east coast

BenQ GW2450HM's are my favorite pick. VA panels so better colour reproduction than their TN counterparts and relatively cheap.

Though my best advice would be to wander down to your local electronics store and have a look at them in person :)

The monitor suggested doesn't fit his needs. His needs are very similar to mine actually.

What you need is the Dell U2412 OR (if budget allows) U2410.

The Dell U2412 features a 16:10 aspect ratio, so that means 1920x1200 resolution. The extra height is greatly welcome when you do work on your computer. It really opens you room to work, as menu task bar space is nicely compensated, and you'll not feel boxed in (a feeling you'll notice once you pass from 16:10 back down to 16:9 (1920x1080)).

The monitor uses an IPS panel (eIPS 6-bit to be exact, by LG). Beside the fact that it will deliver you better colors than your TN monitor, but also provide you 178 degree view angle in all directions. So that means no mater how you sit or walk around your office/room, you'll perfectly see your screen. This helps enjoying your computer, and be more conformable, no more having you to constantly adjust the monitor. Bigger your screen, the worst the view angles limitation of TN panel hurts you. That is why TV's all uses IPS panel, or plasma, no TN (ok, maybe the garbage bin unknown name TV does, but you get what I mean).

Also the monitor feature a fully adjustable stand, so you can adjust the monitor to your liking, and not be stock at the lowest height settings which is ridiculous, and uncomfortable to use. The stand is also sturdy and provide virtually 0 wobble. The monitor is non glossy, nor the frame, so it will not pick up dust and finger prints, and not reflect. This is essential for really focusing on your work, but also dual screen setup, as the border between the 2 monitors won't distract you. The monitor have lovely black, so wide screen movie? no problem. It will feel like it's the monitor frame. Very nice. No back light bleeding.

On screen menu is a breeze to navigate so you can adjust the settings to your need. It also feature, beside DVI and the obligatory VGA, it features DisplayPort. So that means if you have a buisness laptop (and slowly arriving to consumer grade laptops), you will be able to connect your laptop directly to your monitor without any of the complication and limitation with HDMI. If you don't know what DisplayPort is:

-> Support Video and Audio (optional) and Auxiliary (USB, Ethernet, whatever you want or hardware support - DisplayPort 1.2 is required. The monitor has Display Port 1.1)

-> Support much longer length cable than HDMI

-> Supports 4K resolution at 10bit colors @ 60Hz (HDMI 1.4 is limited to 4K, at 8-bit colors @ 24Hz)

-> Supports more plug-in's and out than DVI and HDMI (good for laptops)

-> Consumes much less power than HDMI and DVI (good for laptops)

-> No Royalty fees (so that means much cheaper cables)

-> Lack system to properly hold on your equipement

-> DisplayPort 1.2 allows you to daisy chain monitors form 1 plug form your graphic card (assuming your graphic card support this feature). You can run 4 displays at 19201x200 form 1 plug from your graphic card.

-> Display Port 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are inter supported, kinda like USB. DisplayPort 1.2 will work on DisplayPort 1.0, the same way version 1.0 will work with 1.2

So while the monitor doesn't have DisplayPort 1.2 as it's fairly new, it does support 1.1

So, you are ready for new graphic card using DisplayPort or laptop with the U2412 monitor

The monitor is fast and has low input lag, perfect for gaming as well.

The Dell U2412 is a perfect balanced monitor if you will.

Oh and it features a 3 year warranty with 0 bright/stuck pixel warranty, and a competitive 6 dead pixel warranty with no zones or distance policy.. so you count 6 dead pixel or just 1 stuck/bright pixel it's a replacement, no mater what. Also, if you do an RMA, you get to keep your monitor while you wait for the replacement monitor. So you always have a monitor on your desk. Once you received it, you jkust swamp the monitor, and in teh box, you'll see a pre-paid shipping label. Just stick it above on the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So, Dell pays shipping BOTH directions too! So that's a big plus.

The U2410 see it as a more deluxe monitor for you.

-> It uses a true 8-bit panel (H-IPS panel, also from LG), so it has even better colors

-> It is higher build quality than the U2412 with a metal arm.

-> It uses touch sensitive buttons which works really well, and easy to find (the menu touch button illuminates as your finger comes close to it). So you have your buttons much less visible

-> It comes with 2 factory (with report), color calibrated profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB, so you have the monitor best colors out of the box (once installed, the default color profile is

"Standard", you need to go on the menu, and pick Adobe RGB or sRGB, which ever you prefer best).

-> It has loads of inputs, kinda like a TV. You have: DisplayPort 1.1, HDMI, 2x DVI, and Component and Composite! You can plug practically anything on it, even an old game console or heck even VHS

-> It feature picture-in-picture and side-by-side picture-in-picture

-> 12-bit Color Processor and 10-bit Look Up Table

-> Support 10-bit color (1.07 billion colors) via DisplayPort (requires content and graphic card with DisplayPort to enjoy)

-> high grade CFL backlight for stunning whites

-> 1:1 pixel mapping

-> Lots of setting for the Custom profile, if you want to set your own profile. Forget the standard Red, green and blue adjustements, here you have: R, G, B contronl for Gain R, G, B for Offset control, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow for Hue, and, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow for Saturation levels. So you can really adjust the monitor to your liking.. well at least much better

-> Media card reader included

-> Better blacks than the U2412

So, it comes with a lot of cool features, if you can afford it, then definitely worth a consideration. Again, it's a above your needs, see it as a deluxe model, the U2412 fits your needs perfectly.

On my desk, I have the U2410 (used to be 750$), worth every penny.

The reason why it drop in price, is that it's been a few years it's out (yet still manages to stay on the top of the charts as high-end consumer grade monitor, to really consider), and that it will soon be replaced with the U2413 with is expected to be sold at 750$. The new verison looks identical to teh U2412, but features an 8-bit panel, AH-IPS from LG, similar features as the U2410, less inputs, but supports DisplayPort 1.2 with daisy chaining up to 2 monitors, and feature a new back light technology called GB-LED as covers in my monitor guide, colors are a bit better but not much. So, it's not that much better, it's very close in fact, for 750$ the U2410 at only currently 479$, it's a steal. And this is why I mention it.

The monitor suggested doesn't fit his needs. His needs are very similar to mine actually. What you need is the Dell U2412 OR (if budget allows) U2410. The Dell U2412 features a 16:10 aspect ratio' date=' so that means 1920x1200 resolution. The extra height is greatly welcome when you do work on your computer. It really opens you room to work, as menu task bar space is nicely compensated, and you'll not feel boxed in (a feeling you'll notice once you pass from 16:10 back down to 16:9 (1920x1080)). The monitor uses an IPS panel (eIPS 6-bit to be exact, by LG). Beside the fact that it will deliver you better colors than your TN monitor, but also provide you 178 degree view angle in all directions. So that means no mater how you sit or walk around your office/room, you'll perfectly see your screen. This helps enjoying your computer, and be more conformable, no more having you to constantly adjust the monitor. Bigger your screen, the worst the view angles limitation of TN panel hurts you. That is why TV's all uses IPS panel, or plasma, no TN (ok, maybe the garbage bin unknown name TV does, but you get what I mean). Also the monitor feature a fully adjustable stand, so you can adjust the monitor to your liking, and not be stock at the lowest height settings which is ridiculous, and uncomfortable to use. The stand is also sturdy and provide virtually 0 wobble. The monitor is non glossy, nor the frame, so it will not pick up dust and finger prints, and not reflect. This is essential for really focusing on your work, but also dual screen setup, as the border between the 2 monitors won't distract you. The monitor have lovely black, so wide screen movie? no problem. It will feel like it's the monitor frame. Very nice. No back light bleeding. On screen menu is a breeze to navigate so you can adjust the settings to your need. It also feature, beside DVI and the obligatory VGA, it features DisplayPort. So that means if you have a buisness laptop (and slowly arriving to consumer grade laptops), you will be able to connect your laptop directly to your monitor without any of the complication and limitation with HDMI. If you don't know what DisplayPort is: -> Support Video and Audio (optional) and Auxiliary (USB, Ethernet, whatever you want or hardware support - DisplayPort 1.2 is required. The monitor has Display Port 1.1) -> Support much longer length cable than HDMI -> Supports 4K resolution at 10bit colors @ 60Hz (HDMI 1.4 is limited to 4K, at 8-bit colors @ 24Hz) -> Supports more plug-in's and out than DVI and HDMI (good for laptops) -> Consumes much less power than HDMI and DVI (good for laptops) -> No Royalty fees (so that means much cheaper cables) -> Lack system to properly hold on your equipement -> DisplayPort 1.2 allows you to daisy chain monitors form 1 plug form your graphic card (assuming your graphic card support this feature). You can run 4 displays at 19201x200 form 1 plug from your graphic card. -> Display Port 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are inter supported, kinda like USB. DisplayPort 1.2 will work on DisplayPort 1.0, the same way version 1.0 will work with 1.2 So while the monitor doesn't have DisplayPort 1.2 as it's fairly new, it does support 1.1 So, you are ready for new graphic card using DisplayPort or laptop with the U2412 monitor The monitor is fast and has low input lag, perfect for gaming as well. The Dell U2412 is a perfect balanced monitor if you will. Oh and it features a 3 year warranty with 0 bright/stuck pixel warranty, and a competitive 6 dead pixel warranty with no zones or distance policy.. so you count 6 dead pixel or just 1 stuck/bright pixel it's a replacement, no mater what. Also, if you do an RMA, you get to keep your monitor while you wait for the replacement monitor. So you always have a monitor on your desk. Once you received it, you jkust swamp the monitor, and in teh box, you'll see a pre-paid shipping label. Just stick it above on the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So, Dell pays shipping BOTH directions too! So that's a big plus. The U2410 see it as a more deluxe monitor for you. -> It uses a true 8-bit panel (H-IPS panel, also from LG), so it has even better colors -> It is higher build quality than the U2412 with a metal arm. -> It uses touch sensitive buttons which works really well, and easy to find (the menu touch button illuminates as your finger comes close to it). So you have your buttons much less visible -> It comes with 2 factory (with report), color calibrated profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB, so you have the monitor best colors out of the box (once installed, the default color profile is "Standard", you need to go on the menu, and pick Adobe RGB or sRGB, which ever you prefer best). -> It has loads of inputs, kinda like a TV. You have: DisplayPort 1.1, HDMI, 2x DVI, and Component and Composite! You can plug practically anything on it, even an old game console or heck even VHS -> It feature picture-in-picture and side-by-side picture-in-picture -> 12-bit Color Processor and 10-bit Look Up Table -> Support 10-bit color (1.07 billion colors) via DisplayPort (requires content and graphic card with DisplayPort to enjoy) -> high grade CFL backlight for stunning whites -> 1:1 pixel mapping -> Lots of setting for the Custom profile, if you want to set your own profile. Forget the standard Red, green and blue adjustements, here you have: R, G, B contronl for Gain R, G, B for Offset control, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow for Hue, and, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow for Saturation levels. So you can really adjust the monitor to your liking.. well at least much better -> Media card reader included -> Better blacks than the U2412 So, it comes with a lot of cool features, if you can afford it, then definitely worth a consideration. Again, it's a above your needs, see it as a deluxe model, the U2412 fits your needs perfectly. On my desk, I have the U2410 (used to be 750$), worth every penny. The reason why it drop in price, is that it's been a few years it's out (yet still manages to stay on the top of the charts as high-end consumer grade monitor, to really consider), and that it will soon be replaced with the U2413 with is expected to be sold at 750$. The new verison looks identical to teh U2412, but features an 8-bit panel, AH-IPS from LG, similar features as the U2410, less inputs, but supports DisplayPort 1.2 with daisy chaining up to 2 monitors, and feature a new back light technology called GB-LED as covers in my monitor guide, colors are a bit better but not much. So, it's not that much better, it's very close in fact, for 750$ the U2410 at only currently 479$, it's a steal. And this is why I mention it. [/quote']

I found the monitors you were talking about. But, that's not what I meant for my budget. I meant my max spending budget is $350 for BOTH monitors. I've seen monitors down to $150 per monitor. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Okay, what I'd like is two monitors, under $175 a piece. The monitor must support DVI and/or Display Port. HDMI is optional. Max resolution, would like 1080i/p, but minimum of 720p. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so the fastest monitor isn't needed. My current monitors support 1440 x 900. Needing something more, so a change is in order. Will probably wall mount both monitors to save space, so both monitors must be able to support exterior mounting brackets.

Again, thanks.