Looping PC on startup

AmateurPCGuy

Ok, so I have an old Gigabyte P35-DS3L with 2 GB of RAM and a 7300GT for my main rig. (Shut up if you're gonna say "Upgrade your rig". This guy has no money.) About a few weeks back, The 7300GT broke down, leaving me without a PC. Fortunately, I still have my old ASUS P5KPL-CM motherboard (with my old Dual Core Intel CPU on it but no heatsink) and has a BUILT-IN INTEL GMA so there's no other choice but to swap the motherboards for me to use something.

But here's the issue: after replacing my motherboard, i booted up and everything was good UNTIL the Starting Windows boot screen. Before the 4 orbs appear, the system reboots into an endless loop.

So, how can I fix this issue. I'm currently using an old Toshiba A135-S4677 as my temporary rig and I need to access my old pc files immediately.

Note: Reformatting will be considered as a "last resort"; Ubuntu will be tried at a later time(since I have to borrow the disc from my teacher)

it could be the drivers conflicting with the new mobo.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Can you use F8 to get into safe mode? In safe mode, uninstall the old drivers and install the asus and intel drivers then reboot into normal windows (7 I presume, you should say next time). If not, it looks like you're going to need a format as far as I can see.

HTTP/2 203

Can you use F8 to get into safe mode? In safe mode, uninstall the old drivers and install the asus and intel drivers then reboot into normal windows (7 I presume, you should say next time). If not, it looks like you're going to need a format as far as I can see.

I can't even start on Safe Mode... :(

If you're having similar issues to the member who started this thread I've posted these there:

Thread

Diagnose

Fix 1

Fix 1 (via USB)

Cheers.

This would be the most credible answer, but I'll just resort to formatting. :) All of the important files that I need are in another partition anyway...

Update:

I have reformatted and the computer runs fine now. HOWEVER, when I plug in my old 80 GB IDE drive (for storage), I am stuck on the starting screen where the 4 orbs are just glowing... any solutions?

Probably a failing drive :/ .

Update:

I have reformatted and the computer runs fine now. HOWEVER, when I plug in my old 80 GB IDE drive (for storage), I am stuck on the starting screen where the 4 orbs are just glowing... any solutions?

Use hdtune to run a disk check and health of the disk: http://www.hdtune.com/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It certainly sounds like the disk is dead. As others have said, test it. The only other option it could be is that the mobo isn't configured correctly for IDE, but if its old enough to support it I would be surprised.

HTTP/2 203