Witcher 3 Driver crash

MechEdge
Go to solution Solved by MechEdge,

I'm pretty sure I finally fixed it. What I did was follow this guide to uninstall the drivers properly, and clean installed driver 347.88, no geforce experience (no idea if this last part is necesarry though). It seems to have completely solved the driver crashes on The witcher 3 (I played for about an hour no problem), and I think my frames actually improved a bit!

When I first tried to play the witcher 3 I saw some artifacts, then had a black screen and got booted out to the desktop with a message saying "nvidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered.". I checked for new drivers and installed them. Same thing but without the artifacts. I restarted the PC and managed to play about 15-20 minutes and then got the same message again. My graphics card is a GTX 660ti Amp! Edition @ stock, it runs at about 73 degrees when playing the game, the driver version is 352.86 and I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits. Any ideas?

This only happens with the witcher 3, I can play other games no problem.

Telling bad jokes since 1996

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

Is your card overclocked?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Is your card overclocked?

Its a ZOTAC Amp! Edition, its factory overclocked, I haven't touched anything myself.

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

I might wait to buy this game. Wait for all the bugs and drivers to be fixed.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Kinda late for me now :/, I preordered to get the 15% discount at GOG.

Kinda late for me now :/, I preordered to get the 15% discount at GOG.

I try not pre-order that much. I still need to beat some other games. I have too many games. Damn you Steam sales.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I try not pre-order that much. I still need to beat some other games. I have too many games. Damn you Steam sales.

This is literally my first pre-order, i couldn't wait, I love the story of the series and I am too impatient.

Its a ZOTAC Amp! Edition, its factory overclocked, I haven't touched anything myself.

Dirty?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I have a Core i5 3470, it runs at about 63 degrees when playing, and the card runs at 73 so i don't think it's a dirt problem.

Also, this only happens with the witcher 3, i can play Thief no problem.

I'm going to try a clean driver install and see if it makes any difference

I still get the same error, no one else is experiencing something like this?

Hey!

I have a similar issue!

Sometimes my game would freeze, but only picture, audio goes on ... then a about 10 sec later the game will close and a message saying that my display drivers have crashed is shown.

I found a scene in the game that produces this issue EACH AND EVERY TIME ... I have to start the game again so I can tell you where I go to produce the crash ..

Here's my system:

Intel i7-4790k @4,7GHz (not a strong Overclock ^^)

ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x 8 GB @1866 MHz

2x MSI GeForce 970 Gaming 4G (not overclocked)

Crucial MX100 500GB

Seasonic X-750 PSU

Windows 8.1 (64x)

Drivers are all the latest (also Witcher Game-Ready driver)

SLI of course activated ...

I play Witcher 3 @ 1080p60 with everything maxed ... got the occasional dips below 60 fps but so far i'm impressed - not with the crashes though :(

From Afterburner I read that both GPUs are used up to 96%, ~1800mb VRAM, temps between 75 and 80°C with fans speeding at ~70-80% ...

My system is fairly new, bought it in December, the 2nd GPU was added 2 weeks ago.

Will start the game a new and tell you the spot I go to reproduce the issue.

In the west of Velen there's a single house ... when you ride up to the house people are standing about arguing with a woman ...

as soon as you close in on the spot a cutscene will play, Geralt jumps down from his horse and observes the situation ... at some point during that cutscene my drivers crash EVERY TIME ...

BTW: I'm playing fullscreen mode, noticed that I get roughly 20fps less in Borderless Windowed mode although both GPUs being utilized the same as in Fullscreen, at least it looks that way in afterburner.

EDIT: After saying that with windowed mode, i thought "maybe ..." ... so i tried running that scene in windowed mode ... only got 40fps (whereas fullscreen delivers solid 60) but didn't crash ...

I have never had any problems :P

Hey!

I have a similar issue!

Sometimes my game would freeze, but only picture, audio goes on ... then a about 10 sec later the game will close and a message saying that my display drivers have crashed is shown.

I found a scene in the game that produces this issue EACH AND EVERY TIME ... I have to start the game again so I can tell you where I go to produce the crash ..

Here's my system:

ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer

Crucial MX100 500GB

Seasonic X-750 PSU

Windows 8.1 (64x)

I play Witcher 3 @ 1080p60 with everything maxed ... got the occasional dips below 60 fps but so far i'm impressed - not with the crashes though :(

From Afterburner I read that both GPUs are used up to 96%, ~1800mb VRAM, temps between 75 and 80°C with fans speeding at ~70-80% ...

My system is fairly new, bought it in December, the 2nd GPU was added 2 weeks ago.

You're lucky my 780 gets <40FPS most of the time.

Hey!

I have a similar issue!

Here's my system:

ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer

Crucial MX100 500GB

Seasonic X-750 PSU

Windows 8.1 (64x)

What scene?

What scene?

In the west of Velen there's a single house ... when you ride up to the house people are standing about arguing with a woman ...

as soon as you close in on the spot a cutscene will play, Geralt jumps down from his horse and observes the situation ... at some point during that cutscene my drivers crash EVERY TIME ...

Ugh. Sucks. Also, is that where Anna is? 

This particular issue happens to me on occasion (both with my reference 980, and with MSI 670's that I used to have.) I've found that it tends to happen when you either don't have enough airflow and the card gets too hot, or you are pushing the card too hard. Try backing off on the graphical goodness a bit, and see if that helps...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

OFF/ON topic

remember times when amd drivers caused some issues? i had none issues with amd drivers over 1 year of use thanks AMD

This particular issue happens to me on occasion (both with my reference 980, and with MSI 670's that I used to have.) I've found that it tends to happen when you either don't have enough airflow and the card gets too hot, or you are pushing the card too hard. Try backing off on the graphical goodness a bit, and see if that helps...

The card runs at about 73 degrees, I think that's ok. They should be able to handle 90~.

Hey!

I have a similar issue!

Here's my system:

ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer

Crucial MX100 500GB

Seasonic X-750 PSU

Windows 8.1 (64x)

BTW: I'm playing fullscreen mode, noticed that I get roughly 20fps less in Borderless Windowed mode although both GPUs being utilized the same as in Fullscreen, at least it looks that way in afterburner.

EDIT: After saying that with windowed mode, i thought "maybe ..." ... so i tried running that scene in windowed mode ... only got 40fps (whereas fullscreen delivers solid 60) but didn't crash ...

It's really difficult for me to advance in the game, I get a crash every ~15 min. Last time I tried I managed to play a card game at the first Inn, then I went to talk to the owner and it crashed.

Hopefully there is an update soon :(

I was playing Thief and got another driver crash, it seems to be a driver problem after all

I clean installed the previous drivers (GTA V) and Thief now doesn't seem to crash anymore. But there is still a problem with the witcher.

I clean installed the previous drivers (GTA V) and Thief now doesn't seem to crash anymore. But there is still a problem with the witcher.

Hey. Had the same problem with some other games and today my witcher also got crashed (and i also have msi 970 gaming 4g but x1). Actually I have a solution, which i used to other games, unfortunately I havent tried it yet for the witcher, but it might help you also with your problem.

So I suppose you have MSI afterburner program installed - as it delivers with video card. Open it and at the left side try to decrease core clock and then click apply.

It is helpful as ours video is factory overlocked and that's why sometimes we have such issues...

P.S. just registered only to answer to this thread, cuz I hate this issue.

It seems my post related to TheCrusader.

But anyway i hope it would be helpful for you also.

I'm pretty sure I finally fixed it. What I did was follow this guide to uninstall the drivers properly, and clean installed driver 347.88, no geforce experience (no idea if this last part is necesarry though). It seems to have completely solved the driver crashes on The witcher 3 (I played for about an hour no problem), and I think my frames actually improved a bit!