What is the best $50 CPU cooler? (AIR)

Weak1ings

I know how zealous the community is about the Hyper 212 but I want and know there is stuff better at the $50 price bracket.

What is the best Air cooler for a CPU at $50?

Can you provide proof or help me find a good site to compare cooler performance.

Currently, my goal is to get a good CPU cooler for load around 50-60C(or lower if available) and have good overclocking headroom later down the road with my new i7-4790K for long-term, daily use. 

Right now I am leaning towards the

Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK

From what i've found it will outperform things like the 212 but other than that, I have little comparisons.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc14pebl    lightly blue, but will perform very well.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What you've found is about it but I'd go for some quieter options.

Pure Rock: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

Shadow Rock 2: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk013

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

+1 for Cryorig H5.

Keep in mind that the small parts present a choking hazard and it's not recommended for children under 3 years.

"Rawr XD"

+1 for Cryorig H5.

Keep in mind that the small parts present a choking hazard and it's not recommended for children under 3 years.

Yikes!

I hope I don't choke!  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc14pebl    lightly blue, but will perform very well.

I like this one more and i'd be willing to go for the white one if only I could get that rebate instantly... 

Since we're at $60, would there be better options?  (for comparison, the CPU cooler mentioned is about the NH-D14)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

Looking at the price it looks pretty good.  almost as good as my favorite(1C diff) here but at 60% the price and 1 fan.

I'm concerned about the obviously slim fan present though.  Should I worry?  Could I put a different (or two) fans on it?

I can attest to that, had it for a few days, I play alot of games, have an i7-4790k at stock clocks, hasn't gone above 41c since I installed it, idles at 25-30.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I can attest to that, had it for a few days, I play alot of games, have an i7-4790k at stock clocks, hasn't gone above 41c since I installed it, idles at 25-30.

What do you get when you run Civ, Prime 95, and whatever you can think of?  I'd like to know and what about noise?

What do you get when you run Civ, Prime 95, and whatever you can think of?  I'd like to know and what about noise?

You want me to boot up everything I can think of? Like a bunch of games, and occt? I don't have p95. And for noise, I've never heard the thing, we'll leave it at that.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

You want me to boot up everything I can think of? Like a bunch of games, and occt? I don't have p95. And for noise, I've never heard the thing, we'll leave it at that.

Just OCCT should be fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just asking you to boot up stuff that would test the CPU and run it for a little while.  I want to make sure this cooler is definitely good.  What is your airflow like in the case you use too?  I have an Antec 900 which was and still is a great case. 

What is OCCT?

Just asking you to boot up stuff that would test the CPU and run it for a little while.  I want to make sure this cooler is definitely good.  What is your airflow like in the case you use too?  I have an Antec 900 which was and still is a great case. 

What is OCCT?

I have the slim fan on the H5 and an intake and exhaust, both 120mm, case is a 300r. Gimme a few minutes to pop open a bunch of youtube tabs and start up CIV:BE

Spoiler

What is OCCT?

I have 50c with 15 youtube videos , OCCT running, and CIV:BE in a game all at the same time. This on a 4790k (Naturally hot chip) at stock voltage, cooled with an H5, only the slim fan, and an intake and exhaust of size 120mm, and nothing else, also no dGPU, so the iGPU was running full power as well.

EDIT: Also, the stock thermal paste that came with the H5.

2ndEDIT: CPU VCORE Maxed out at 1.224

3rdEDIT: Ambient temps are 10c

4thEDIT: CPU Idles at 25-30.

Spoiler

I have 50c with 15 youtube videos , OCCT running, and CIV:BE in a game all at the same time. This on a 4790k (Naturally hot chip) at stock voltage, cooled with an H5, only the slim fan, and an intake and exhaust of size 120mm, and nothing else, also no dGPU, so the iGPU was running full power as well.

EDIT: Also, the stock thermal paste that came with the H5.

Ok, thanks!  I'll probably buy it.

Ok, thanks!  I'll probably buy it.

Check out all the edits on my post for the full info.

Spoiler: The H5 absolutely smashed the torture test.

Spoiler