SSD Defrag

ishraq2626
Go to solution Solved by Speaker1264,

Thanks a lot for this,i appreciate that you made the video and gave me the info about this defrag.

Although i have some concerns about the first option which is just defrag.What is the purpose of that program?

TIA

It is just legacy software from previous OS's, like windows 7, and windows vista.  If you click it the command window pops open for a brief second, realizes that you are on windows 8, and closes.  It literally does nothing.  Windows 8 uses this new layout.

I searched for Defrag and clicked on the first one,

it showed some cmd option and closed immediately 

Please Tell Me What is this

TIA

post-226090-0-91370100-1431938257_thumb.

Don't defrag an SSD, it just wrecks it

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

do not do that

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Never defrag a SSD

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Do not defrag your SSD. They have a finite number of read/write cycles and defrag unnecessarily uses them quicker.

SSDs work much different than a traditional platter harddrive. Defragging in essence is meant to reduce inherent seek time caused by the read/write head searching over the platter(s).

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

read about this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

SSD use TRIM so Defrag is no longer need for SSDs

but HDD still need it

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Thanks Everyone For the Reply,but i clicked the first one and anyone tell me what that program is different from the disk defragment?

Thanks Everyone For the Reply,but i clicked the first one and anyone tell me what that program is different from the disk defragment?

It may be a pre-installed program on your computer from your pcs manufacturer. Not sure though.

that is the default Windows Defrag

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

that is the default Windows Defrag

Can this damage my SSD?

Can this damage my SSD?

if it does works

it pretty much read and writes on the NAND chips

and NAND have a limited write cycles

once it reach the limit

you cant read or write to that cell

rendering the chip dead

if it does works

it pretty much read and writes on the NAND chips

and NAND have a limited write cycles

once it reach the limit

you cant read or write to that cell

rendering the chip dead

It just opened a cmd and closed down,

i heard many people running windows 8.1 have this,can you guys please confirm this

is your main disk a SSD?

it could be that

is your main disk a SSD?

it could be that

Yes my main disk is an SSD,i have checked and its the defrag.exe in system32

I searched for Defrag and clicked on the first one,

it showed some cmd option and closed immediately 

Please Tell Me What is this

TIA

I feel like there is much misinformation in this thread.  Windows does have an option to keep your SSD at peak performance, you simply selected the wrong option.  The right option is called "Degragment and Optimize Drives".  Notice the "and"?  That is because windows will not defragment your ssd, it will "optimize" it.  So click this option and it will open a window.  Click the C: drive and hit optimize.  This will clear out the garbage that has been accumulating on your ssd, and means that new files that are written will be written at full speed.  I also made a video if it helps.

https://youtu.be/FGwqZ2SHSA4

I feel like there is much misinformation in this thread.  Windows does have an option to keep your SSD at peak performance, you simply selected the wrong option.  The right option is called "Degragment and Optimize Drives".  Notice the "and"?  That is because windows will not defragment your ssd, it will "optimize" it.  So click this option and it will open a window.  Click the C: drive and hit optimize.  This will clear out the garbage that has been accumulating on your ssd, and means that new files that are written will be written much faster.  I also made a video if it helps.

https://youtu.be/FGwqZ2SHSA4

Thanks a lot for this,i appreciate that you made the video and gave me the info about this defrag.

Although i have some concerns about the first option which is just defrag.What is the purpose of that program?

TIA

TIA

It is just legacy software from previous OS's, like windows 7, and windows vista.  If you click it the command window pops open for a brief second, realizes that you are on windows 8, and closes.  It literally does nothing.  Windows 8 uses this new layout.

Thanks A lot for the help,i thought how everyone said that it damages my SSD i got worried,thanks for the reassurance.

Does clicking optimize for the recovery drive do anything to the ssd?

Does clicking optimize for the recovery drive do anything to the ssd?

No, but it wont hurt to do it anyway.