LED strips by ATTYOU

_Grid21

After watching Linus' video about using LED strips I went and bought these strips from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R5O5J46/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_2 They make my system look amazing but what I feel slightly bad about was I should have done some researching and ask how long they will last. Does anyone know anything about ATTYOU and what their quality is like? These are 5v USB strips, so do you think they will last a long time to come yet?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Well, LED strips don't exactly fail quickly.  If the design is fine, they'll last quite a long time as LEDs have a very long life before they die.  If it's a bad design where the drivers are too overloaded, it will die within a week.

Long story short, I'm not sure you can make "bad" LED strips unless you actually make a crap design.  The components are simple and not likely to fail.

After watching Linus' video about using LED strips I went and bought these strips from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R5O5J46/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_2 They make my system look amazing but what I feel slightly bad about was I should have done some researching and ask how long they will last. Does anyone know anything about ATTYOU and what their quality is like? These are 5v USB strips, so do you think they will last a long time to come yet?

They will last a long time most SMD LED's are rated for 50,000 hours MTBF, some of the higher quality ones will about 100,000 MTBF.

Well, LED strips don't exactly fail quickly.  If the design is fine, they'll last quite a long time as LEDs have a very long life before they die.  If it's a bad design where the drivers are too overloaded, it will die within a week.

Long story short, I'm not sure you can make "bad" LED strips unless you actually make a crap design.  The components are simple and not likely to fail.

I had Corair's LED fans and most of the LEDs are so dim after a few months of having them. Fans are 12volts so I don't understand why they got dim so quickly.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

They will last a long time most SMD LED's are rated for 50,000 hours MTBF, some of the higher quality ones will about 100,000 MTBF.

What does "SMD" and MTBF" mean?

^^ This but some are rated for 10,000 hours MTBF.

SMD = Surface Mount LED

MTBF = Mean time between failures

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I had Corair's LED fans and most of the LEDs are so dim after a few months of having them. Fans are 12volts so I don't understand why they got dim so quickly.

they will only be at full brightness if the fans they are part of is running at maximum speed (ergo, the fan is receiving the full 12V)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

they will only be at full brightness if the fans they are part of is running at maximum speed (ergo, the fan is receiving the full 12V)

I have a X4 Ultra powersupply and all the fans are plugged using the Corsair 760T's Sata power line into the power supply. It's a 80+ bronze PSU.

Also LEDs can fail whenever just like everything else in the world but should last a few years of being on 12 hours a day, cheaper LEDs tend to die more quickly and lose their brightness after some time, higher quality ones can still do that but are less likely to.

Please forgive my wording as it is 6:45am and I haven't been to bed yet, still working away. :D

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

^^ This but some are rated for 10,000 hours MTBF.

SMD = Surface Mount LED

MTBF = Mean time between failures

What Marcus_UK said.

As for dimming it will occur to any light overtime, usually they reach about 70-80% brightness from brand new.

What Marcus_UK said.

As for dimming it will occur to any light overtime, usually they reach about 70-80% brightness from brand new.

So my PSU won't really affect the LED lights in the fans? Because when I go them brand new, they were bright, over a few months, they started to dim.

So my PSU won't really affect the LED lights in the fans? Because when I go them brand new, they were bright, over a few months, they started to dim.

Inside of a computer powered off a PSU no problem, it shouldn't get any dimmer once it burns in so to speak it stays around that brightness until it fail due to time itself. I suggest if you change LED to get SMD5050 LED strips those are one of the brightest LED's that are at a good pricepoint.

However LED's can fail prematurely if you use an unregulated power brick that you plug into the wall say for desk lighting, since it's voltages aren't tightly controlled. let's just say it was lesson learned. :P  

Inside of a computer powered off a PSU no problem, it shouldn't get any dimmer once it burns in so to speak it stays around that brightness until it fail due to time itself. I suggest if you change LED to get SMD5050 LED strips those are one of the brightest LED's that are at a good pricepoint.

However LED's can fail prematurely if you use an unregulated power brick that you plug into the wall say for desk lighting, since it's voltages aren't tightly controlled. let's just say it was lesson learned. :P  

I actually got the ATTYOU LEDs strips (title of this thread). They make the Corsair fans look dimmer then without, but I don't feel Corsair used the highest quality LEDs since they got dim so quickly. As far as I know the X4 Ultra PSU is giving my PC all the power it needs. I don't know how off brand X4 is, but it seemed good at the time. I've been able to overvolt my GPU without failure. So I'm giving it really comes down to the quality.

I actually got the ATTYOU LEDs strips (title of this thread). They make the Corsair fans look dimmer then without, but I don't feel Corsair used the highest quality LEDs since they got dim so quickly. As far as I know the X4 Ultra PSU is giving my PC all the power it needs. I don't know how off brand X4 is, but it seemed good at the time. I've been able to overvolt my GPU without failure. So I'm giving it really comes down to the quality.

Here's the review on the PSU, from quick look over it's not a good one TBH, it's power regulation and ripple are pretty poor, I would change it out with something else once you can:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/24/ultra_x4_850w_1050w_power_supplies_review/1#.VVmB9rtVhBc

Here's the review on the PSU, from quick look over it's not a good one TBH, it's power regulation and ripple are pretty poor, I would change it out with something else once you can:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/24/ultra_x4_850w_1050w_power_supplies_review/1#.VVmB9rtVhBc

I don't exactly have money to spare. Am I in danger of damaging my PC now? I've already bought a second one when I went to build a PC for my dad. :P

EDIT: Great now I feel like I've failed and wasted money on a cheap PSU. Which means I have to spend more money to replace two power supplies. 

I don't exactly have money to spare. Am I in danger of damaging my PC now? I've already bought a second one when I went to build a PC for my dad. :P

From what I understand about power regulation it's more of a long term thing where the hardware may not last as long but I don't know how much that plays a roles in it's actual lifespan. 

From what I understand about power regulation it's more of a long term thing where the hardware may not last as long but I don't know how much that plays a roles in it's actual lifespan. 

So is any of my really nice hardware in danger? I'm kinda scared and I feel really stupid right now. :(

So is any of my really nice hardware in danger? I'm kinda scared and I feel really stupid right now. :(

I wouldn't say there is a guaranteed risk since there are so many variables but it's definitely a good idea to change it once you can fit it in your budget, a PSU is usually one things they say should never be cheaped out on since it's what powers all your hardware inside.

I wouldn't say there is a guaranteed risk since there are so many variables but it's definitely a good idea to change it once you can fit it in your budget, a PSU is usually one things they say should never be cheaped out on since it's what powers all your hardware inside.

But I need one that is super modular. What would you recommend? I know Linus uses Corsair a LOT! Can you maybe PM me and recommend something that is what I need?