A4: The smallest gaming case series in the world

CtW

Source: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1799326

There are a ton of pics so I put them all in spoilers.

The A4-SFX case is a one-man project with my goal being to create the smallest case possible

while still using high end standardized components such as Core i7 processors and powerful full length GPUs such as the Nvidia GTX 980.
The result is a unique product that is much smaller than all competing cases. This case is perfect for SFF enthusiasts,
those who need a portable system, developers who require a case with a smaller footprint due to limited desk space,
and gamers who want a PC experience in their living room. 
 dan_a4-sfx_1_1200p1j42.jpg

dan_a4-sfx_2_12001skq1.jpg

The design stage of the creation process is nearing completion so I will soon be launching a crowdfunding campaign.

Features:
Dimensions: 114mm x 200mm x 318mm, 7,25L
Material: 1,5 mm Aluminum
Motherboard Support: Mini-ITX
GPU Support: not higher then Dual-slot, <= 295mm length, Blower-type or Dual/Triple-Fan cooler
CPU Cooler: 48mm height (Heatsink + Fan) e.g. ID-Cooling IS-VC45 & Noctua L9i

Drive Support: 3 x 2.5” HDD/SSD with SFX & 2 x 2.5” HDD/SSD with SFX-L 
PSU Support: SFX and SFX-L
Riser Cable: 3M PCIe Gen3/4 250mm Extender is included (best Riser on the market) 

A number of creative ideas were needed to create the case. Using a PCIe extender allowed for the most notable design aspect of this
case which is the location of the GPU behind the motherboard. The A4-SFX will come with the best PCIe Extender on the market,
made by 3M, which allows for PCIe Gen3 and Gen4 support. 
 dan_a4-sfx_3_12004ykay.jpg

dan_a4-sfx_4_1200f6kdb.jpg

The A4-SFX allows for easy mounting of either SFX or SFX-L power supplies. SFX-L PSUs are currently available in Asia and Europe,

and Silverstone will soon be releasing their SX500-LG for North American Markets. The SFX-L form factor uses 120mm fans for quieter operation
however the added length does limit you to one 2.5” drive. 
 dan_a4-sfx_5_12006kkon.jpg

dan_a4-sfx_6_1200w3jw4.jpg

dan_a4-sfx_8_1200fqje0.jpg

dan_a4-sfx_10_1200ypjkg.jpg

(This picture is only for demonstrate a view trough all components)

You can mount up to two 2.5” HDDs or SSDs in the drive bay and one at the front. This drive bay could potentially be mounted with rubber spacers to reduce vibration.

FAQ

•When will this be released? How can I buy one?

In the middle of 2015 on Indiegogo or StartNext.

•How much will it cost?

Between $150 to $250 depending on the discount price of the riser.

•What about taller cooler support?

The case is too small to support tall CPU coolers and i’m am not willing to make the case larger to support coolers taller than 48mm.
The current offering of low profile CPU coolers are able to sufficiently cool a Core i7-4790K with good temps and noise levels. 

•Why does it only have one USB 3.0 port on the front?

After much discussion I have decided that one port is enough for most users as having more ports on such a small case
will hurt the aesthetics of the case.

•How will the sidepanels be mounted

The case will have the Lian Li push-pins mounting solution.

•Will every AC outlet orientation on the SFX-PSU work with that case?

It will work for all Silverstone, Chieftec and be quit! SFX PSUs. There may be some obscure, cheap models that will not fit. 

•How do you ensure that the backside of the GPU does not make contact with the metal motherboard tray and SFX-PSU? 

The motherboard tray and PSU will have a non-conductive shield attached to ensure the back of the GPU does not come into contact with bare metal.
A non-conductive cover will be included for the SFX PSU.

•How is the front logo attached? 

The front logo will be an easily removable sticker.

Prototype shots from Lian Li (the OEM/ODM that's making the case)

1mbjm4.jpg
179xj37.jpg
18gskab.jpg
2adk9q.jpg
3b7kg9.jpg
4awksi.jpg
5yikhv.jpg
66hkjm.jpg
7qnjlz.jpg
8k2kdl.jpg
9arkwn.jpg
1030k0r.jpg
11omjkn.jpg
12d6kwy.jpg
15hfjfk.jpg
16pjk4u.jpg
13evjow.jpg
1499kw3.jpg

I think this case is the console killer case that Linus has been looking for for a while. The dimensions are so tiny yet so much hardware can be crammed into the case. For comparison, the RVZ01 case from silverstone that everyone loves is 14+L in volume and the NCase M1 is 12.6 while this tiny beast is 7.25L in size. While the lack of support for 3.5 in drives (probably could be achieved if you put them where the GPU goes) and only having 1 usb port on the front are definite cons for a number of people. The sheer size and amount of hardware that can be put in this thing completely justify the trade offs IMHO. 

EDIT:
Here are some pics of the case with a system built into it
 iiOEGsf.jpg
I9KcVDT.jpg
UxPz3YI.jpg

I'll take 20.

If Fiji is a short and small card like the renders indicate it would be perfect for one of these. The interest in gaming builds I feel has shifted from big multiple GPU configurations with crazy custom water loops to how much performance can you fit into the smallest area possible. It's interesting having a machine no bigger than a couple of briefcases that beats out most consumer gaming machines. Besides it doesn't take up much space and is easy to handle. My Arc Midi R2 is just a simple giant in comparison and is a b1#ch to move around even to just clean up dust underneath it.

I wonder why pcie extension was never thought of before for a case.

Lord of Helium.

That's legit!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

It is cute and all, but I personally wouldn't buy it unless I was trying to put the inards of a PS3 into it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I wonder why pcie extension was never thought of before for a case.

It has been done in cases such as the RVZ01. The main reason that it isn't normally done is because it increases the price of the case (to an extreme degree in small cases like this).

I'm super excited for this case. I don't know if I'd pick this case over something like an RVZ02 though since I don't know how much I trust Dondan to release this case in a timely manner. That doesn't mean that it can't (just look at NCASE) but it does cause some hesitation.

One thing that I really wish they would have done is to separate the GPU and motherboard so the heat doesn't mix from them (although I imagine that you're expected to use a reference cooler).

edit: Never mind, I wasn't looking at the case right. There isn't much space for air to mix.

This is another interesting case from the same forum with about the same volume and compatibility.

But it's further from release than A4

With the limitation of a 48mm tall CPU cooler, you don't have much headroom to overclock 4690K or 4790K. 

Small cooler like Noctua L9i can't handle 4790k with turbo on, unless you don't mind the CPU runs at 80*C+ and fan full speed(noisy).

I love how stylish aluminium cases, seems to make a come back. Especially small cases. I've said it before, the 900D type cases (or even just standard ATX), is going to fade out. Most people have no need for something those sizes.

Unlike Lian Li, this looks to have good airflow, and made for gaming PC's, and very compact.

I am worried about dust, as there are no dust filters on this one (what a shame. But it looks nice, and use same design elements as my Lian Li v700.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

It is cute and all, but I personally wouldn't buy it unless I was trying to put the inards of a PS3 into it.

you dont need to kneecap yourself on what you put into this type of case tho :P

with rlly low power consumption GPU's being out atm (like ITX versions of the 960/970) and any other cpu, it will work more than fine :)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I love how stylish aluminium cases, seems to make a come back. Especially small cases. I've said it before, the 900D type cases (or even just standard ATX), is going to fade out. Most people have no need for something those sizes.

Most people get it because it looks cool. Sometimes I think that I should get a smaller case with noise dampening material in it, but then I look to my right and realize that I like my big assed full tower with a stylized window and bling bling lights inside.

Is it the size of an A4 sheet of paper?

A4 measures 210 × 297 millimeters,  this case measures 200 x 318 mm. 

Not exact, but pretty close.

you dont need to kneecap yourself on what you put into this type of case tho :P

with rlly low power consumption GPU's being out atm (like ITX versions of the 960/970) and any other cpu, it will work more than fine :)

I could see using it just for writing/internet browsing but for anything else I wouldn't use it because I would worry over the heat accumulating inside regardless.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Ooooh this is nice, it's tiny but its the first design I've seen that might tolerate an open air GPU just fine by being separated on it's own chamber. I am definitely getting one of these!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Personal opinion continued from OP

I really love these types of cases. I think this case would work really well if they made it a touch wider to increase the cpu cooler clearence from 48mm to 65-70mm with the ability to mount a 120mm AIO to the side panel. With the width increase, you should be able to put some drives in the now enlarged gap between the PSU and GPU chamber; maybe even a single 3.5 in one! It would also be awesome if you could lie it on its side so it would look more console like, but that side panel might be an issue idk.

I could see using it just for writing/internet browsing but for anything else I wouldn't use it because I would worry over the heat accumulating inside regardless.

the low power consumption of todays tech makes me worry not :)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

With the limitation of a 48mm tall CPU cooler, you don't have much headroom to overclock 4690K or 4790K. 

Small cooler like Noctua L9i can't handle 4790k with turbo on, unless you don't mind the CPU runs at 80*C+ and fan full speed(noisy).

I'd expect people to use non K chips or a Xeon E3 rather than either of the above mentioned chips to avoid the issue of heat. Also, I'm pretty sure that the L9i's fan is not that noisy but i could be wrong idk.

gun b a bitch to cable

That's what modular power supplies and short cable kits are for. Even with those 2 things, building inside wont be super easy and the cable management won't look pretty, but at least airflow shouldn't be an issue.

I'd expect people to use non K chips or a Xeon E3 rather than either of the above mentioned chips to avoid the issue of heat. Also, I'm pretty sure that the L9i's fan is not that noisy but i could be wrong idk.

The little Noctua fan that comes with L9i can spin up to 2500rpm. I prefer to run it at 1600rpm for the sake of quietness. Obviously, everyone has different tolerance to noise. 

Actually the best option would be the 4590s which has a reduced tdp of 65w but still can turbo up to 3.7 and just sticking to the stock intel cooler which is I believe 46mm so barely fits but fits.

-------

Current Rig

-------