Is the 780Ti future proof?

Prithvi128
Go to solution Solved by Lays,

If you get a 780 TI Classified or matrix edition, odds are you can OC it to outperform a 980.

My 780 TI has been slapping around some 980's on HWBOT, the only downfall I guess is 3GB.

Although I think people vastly over-do vram usages and estimates.

I am planning to get a rig with the 780 ti on it, but since it packs only 3gb of vram will it be future proof?

Cuz most of the upcomming games recommend having 4gb of ram.

Ill be mostly doing gaming on my 1080p monitor so will it be good enough?

Plus if it is weather i should get the custom EVGA super clocked edition or msi's twin frozer gaming edition?

No, it's last generation.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Nothing is future proof.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nothing is future proof.

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he doesnt know that yet

(but really you are right, but when people say future proof they only mean will it last for a while)

I know

But the thing is there is a site where i am getting a 780ti for 14400rs(240$) so i was thinking of getting it

My other option is the xfx 290 double d edition

It's most certainly not future proof when it isn't even the latest generation of Nvidia graphics cards. Now, will it last for a few years? Yeah probably, but a much better bet would be a similarly priced 970 or 980.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I wish they ban the usage of the word "future-proof" - there is no such thing as future-proofing!

I understand u guys abt the technically wrong word used future proofing but i really need it to last atleast a couple of years and perform decently

The last pc i got was like 6-7yrs back n i got a 8400gs installed in it so i really need something to be decent enough for the next couple of years

I wish they ban the usage of the word "future-proof" - there is no such thing as future-proofing!

we need to call it something like "extended useful life" but that's not catchy ... 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

The only things truly "future proof" are cases, so long as mounting hardware doesn't change. While some hardware can change, for the most part cases can stay the same. ATX is the standard motherboard size, we have 3.5in/ 2.5in drive sizes, and GPU lengths have stayed comfortable at 10-12 inches. PSU's don't typically change size enough for it to matter in an ATX case, and most cases can fit today's hardware. There are always exceptions of course.

we need to call it something like "extended useful life" but that's not catchy ... 

That wont help it, because one day the component can be new, the other day its outdated :)

If you get a 780 TI Classified or matrix edition, odds are you can OC it to outperform a 980.

My 780 TI has been slapping around some 980's on HWBOT, the only downfall I guess is 3GB.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

haha yea your 780ti with that overclock matches and in most cases kills my golden sample 980 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

haha yea your 780ti with that overclock matches and in most cases kills my golden sample 980 

I'm upgrading to X99 this week or next week, and hopefully getting a custom loop soon.  Then I will put 1.5v through my card and hopefully hit 1500 mhz for some benchmarks :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Nothing is future proof.

unless you got future tech

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I'm upgrading to X99 this week or next week, and hopefully getting a custom loop soon.  Then I will put 1.5v through my card and hopefully hit 1500 mhz for some benchmarks :D

ugh so jealous , ive been wanting to go to x99 for the past few months but the boards and ddr4 and cpus are so expensive :( , i cant push my gpu harder without some volt modding , dont wana do that yet as ive only had the card for 2 weeks 

Spoiler
Spoiler

ugh so jealous , ive been wanting to go to x99 for the past few months but the boards and ddr4 and cpus are so expensive :( , i cant push my gpu harder without some volt modding , dont wana do that yet as ive only had the card for 2 weeks 

You should be able to get around 1.275-1.325v out of it with BIOS tweaks, but above that you'll most likely have to solder off the resistors on your PCB, or take liquid metal and bridge the postive side of the resistor with the negative side.

Luckily all I have to do with my 780 TI classified is make a BIOS, and use "Classified tool"

Although the stock cooler can't really handle much, I get to hot to keep stability at some clocks.

I notice once the card starts to heat up in the first 30-60 secs of the benchmark, because for about a minute while it's cold there's no artifacting etc, once it gets above 60 it starts to a bit, then usually higher it gets worse.  Some cards that are higher binned really like to be cold for them to OC properly, I noticed that with my 780 Lightning as well.

hNWYE.jpg

You should be able to get around 1.275-1.325v out of it with BIOS tweaks, but above that you'll most likely have to solder off the resistors on your PCB, or take liquid metal and bridge the postive side of the resistor with the negative side.

Luckily all I have to do with my 780 TI classified is make a BIOS, and use "Classified tool"

hNWYE.jpg

resistor shunting ? yea ill probably do that. sigh the sad part of owning a reference pcb nvidia card (kicking myself for not buying a classified) 

Spoiler
Spoiler

resistor shunting ? yea ill probably do that. sigh the sad part of owning a reference pcb nvidia card (kicking myself for not buying a classified) 

The classified has the resistors too, but I believe the voltage controller can over-ride them to a certain extent via tools like the classified tool.

Also I believe the resistance on them is a bit less, like 0.02 ohms instead of 0.05 on the stock cards.

ok dude

The classified has the resistors too, but I believe the voltage controller can over-ride them to a certain extent via tools like the classified tool.

Also I believe the resistance on them is a bit less, like 0.02 ohms instead of 0.05 on the stock cards.

that's rather interesting , I can't complain too much tho. Somehow I've squeezed 1575mhz outa the core on air and 2000mhz outa the memory

Spoiler
Spoiler

When most people say "future-proof" they mean "decently future-resistant". Although not always.

When I say future-proof I generally mean will last me until  I can justify putting a lot of money down for new parts or a new build.

As for the OP yes the 780ti is relatively future proof but there are better options mainly going with the 9xx series.  780ti outperforms the 970 slightly, but costs slightly more and uses more power and gives more heat.  It's not a bad choice by any means.