UK Girl Charged A Hefty Roaming Bill

A teenage girl was required to pay a hefty roaming bill (£3,800 to be exact) after using her cell phone in the states. [The carrier] Orange said they had numerous warning messages but the girl claimed to not have seen any.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Roaming-NYC-Orange-Bill-Casey-Snook,23484.html

Just an interesting little find. What are your thoughts on this? (Nothing came up in the search as of date posted)

I got charged by Orange last year £70 extra for sending a bunch of MMS, I blame windows phone entirely for it.

The group text didn't warn me that it was MMS and not SMS.

Back on topic though, never use your contract phone abroad.

I could believe that this girl had no idea what she was doing. This is because I have noticed how many people have no idea what roaming charges are, what they do and how damn expensive it is.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Link to the story: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/british-teen-racks-up-a-4000-phone-bill-while-roaming-50011717/

Those roaming prices are ridiculous. There was a guy 5-6 years ago that got a 23.000 € bill for using the 3G on his Danish phone in Germany.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Whoops guys I forgot the link, thanks to @Volbet for the link though it wasn't the one I was looking at (it was the same though). 

Why the parents let her off to america with cellular data enabled is beyond me. If she wanted to use the internet she could have waited until she was in a wifi zone. Parents/girls fault. I'm not saying that the operators aren't assholes for extortionate data roaming charges but responsibility is still the consumer. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I used to sms my gf for $1 per sms because she travels to another country. Quite hefty pricetag for 1 line of sentences.

I don't care how many warning messages they sent. There is nothing anyone can do on a phone that would warrant a 5000$ charge.

That's just criminal. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual cost to the company of the data she used was less than a dollar. 

It sickens me that phone companies can get away with that kind of crap. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2