i3-2120 is still good?

so, i have an i3-2120. what do you guys thought, just buy a new GPU ( i don't know what max GPU i can get without bottlenecking) or just get a new system altoghether. i know building a new system is pretty expensive, so i really confuse now.

The 2120 is still a capable cpu for most things. 

It would help to mention what your system is being used for and the rest of your specs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

so, i have an i3-2120. what do you guys thought, just buy a new GPU ( i don't know what max GPU i can get without bottlenecking) or just get a new system altoghether. i know building a new system is pretty expensive, so i really confuse now.

What is the system for, and what is your budget for upgrading?

"Rawr XD"

The 2120 is still a capable cpu for most things.

It would help to mention what your system is being used for and the rest of your specs.

ah sorry about that.

Ram: 4GB

GPU: Ati Radeon 4650

Windows 7 32-bit

the main purpose for the system just purely gaming. not 1080p but just 768p. the reason i want to upgrade if i just upgrade the GPU, i'm afraid the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.

What is the system for, and what is your budget for upgrading?

around the price of an 280. if just the gpu. the purpose is gaming on 768p.

It shouldn't have any issues with a 280. Bottlenecking depends on the game and isn't inherent to the cpu. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It shouldn't have any issues with a 280. Bottlenecking depends on the game and isn't inherent to the cpu.

i see. my current GPU not capable doing triple AAA games now. even on CS:GO we must bump down the res to compensate with the framerate. so what you're saying my CPU is good for future games right?

I'm sure that a i3-2120 will not bottleneck the r9 280 because the g3258 doesn't(well at least in my experience). I'm pretty sure the R9 280 is max, and then the R9 280x it will start to bottleneck a little. so yeah get the r9 280/hd 7950 (same thing) or you can get the r9 270x which is almost as good but has 2gb vram instead of 3gb

My Old Rig: Phenom II X4 965 4.0 ghz, Asus Motherboard, 4 GB DDR3-1333, Antec Case and PSU, no video card atm

My New Rig: i5-4590, MSI Motherboard, 8 GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Case, XFX PSU, HD 7950

It should be able to handle that perfectly fine. 

i see. my current GPU not capable doing triple AAA games now. even on CS:GO we must bump down the res to compensate with the framerate. so what you're saying my CPU is good for future games right?

It's not bad but in the future you might start to see bottlenecks.

It's up to how long it'd take you to save up for something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i5-2400-3-1Ghz-Quad-Core-CPU-LGA1155-/231561216347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ea1fc15b

"Rawr XD"

We won't know what future games would need until the time comes.

It's not bad but in the future you might start to see bottlenecks.

It's up to how long it'd take you to save up for something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i5-2400-3-1Ghz-Quad-Core-CPU-LGA1155-/231561216347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ea1fc15b

i think Sandy Bridge is not available now in the store. i'm prohibited buying online.

We won't know what future games would need until the time comes.

i get that, but for the meantime is it still a nice CPU overall?

i think Sandy Bridge is not available now in the store. i'm prohibited buying online.

If you're in the US, Micro Center may still have some kicking around. Turns out you're in Indonesia. Why not online though?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'm sure that a i3-2120 will not bottleneck the r9 280 because the g3258 doesn't(well at least in my experience). I'm pretty sure the R9 280 is max, and then the R9 280x it will start to bottleneck a little. so yeah get the r9 280/hd 7950 (same thing) or you can get the r9 270x which is almost as good but has 2gb vram instead of 3gb

i'm allowed to buy within the price of an 280. probably i go with 270x/7950, i don't know.

If you're in the US, Micro Center may still have some kicking around. Why not online though?

i'm in Asia, Indonesia in particular. cause i'm still 13 and my parent prohibited me from using credit card.

i'm allowed to buy within the price of an 280. probably i go with 270x/7950, i don't know.

You should buy an Nvidia GPU with an i3. The AMD DirectX11 driver crashes and burns with an i3 or lower when there is a lot of stuff on the screen. An R9 280 is overkill anyways for 768p. I'd go for a GTX 750 Ti, or perhaps a GTX 660.

You should buy an Nvidia GPU with an i3. The AMD DirectX11 driver crashes and burns with an i3 or lower when there is a lot of stuff on the screen. An R9 280 is overkill anyways for 768p. I'd go for a GTX 750 Ti, or perhaps a GTX 660.

i take that into consideration.

i get that, but for the meantime is it still a nice CPU overall?

Refer to my first post in the thread ↑

Source? 

Brands shouldn't matter.

Refer to my first post in the thread ↑

forget about that sorry. my question now solved ,thank you.

An R9 280 is overkill anyways for 768p. I'd go for a GTX 750 Ti, or perhaps a GTX 660.

Can't speak for the driver crash, but this part of your statement is not true. Don't expect to max out games with a R9 280 at 768p.

Can't speak for the driver crash, but this part of your statement is not true. Don't expect to max out games with a R9 280 at 768p.

what makes you say that? not saying i don't believe it, but really? a 280 don't maxed out 768p?

Eurogamer's review of the GTX 960 shows AMD cards performing really badly when paired with i3s.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-review

That's an interesting read. Are there any similar tests you can link?

Where'd you get that idea? The 280 handles most games at ultra just fine at 1080p. 

Eurogamer is the only site I have seen test this; everyone else just tests video cards in combination with i7s. GameGPU occasionally does CPU benchmarks with Radeon cards, but most recent games they do them with GTX 980, GTX 980 SLI, Titan X, etc. GameGPU's i3 benchmark looks pretty reasonable for COD AW.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

This is very surprising though, since the COD AW performance article Eurogamer did was where they first discovered problems with the i3 and R9 280 combination.

It's pretty disturbing here seeing the i3-4130 + R9 280 combination lagging significantly behind the i3-4130 + GTX 750 Ti combo for the entire city driving section of the GTA V benchmark.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-high-overhead-drivers-on-dx11.209726/

His english is pretty amateur level but he was showing AMD's problem well with DX11. This however wasn't an i3, it was a Phenom x4 945 which is pretty much i3 level if not better than the Sandy Bridge variant the OP has. His 7850 is showing that he is getting CPU bottlenecks in some portions of the different games he tested but he uses a 770 which is a much stronger card yes but the CPU shouldn't be able to use the extra power either way; we should be seeing the same bottleneck performance shown on the 7850 +- 1 or 2 fps but that wasn't the case. Running Mantle where applicable completely fixed the issue but not all games are mantle unfortunately.

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply