Leica Monochrom DNG file format Bug Can Wipe Out Your Apple Photos Library

ahhming

leicacrash.jpg

Leica Camera says that the new Monochrom’s DNG files are not compatible with Apple Photos, and the result is that trying to open them will cause the Photos library to crash and, maybe if you’re super unlucky, it’ll destroy all the photo files that already exist.

Leica is trying to make sure customers know not to try to load DNG files with Apple Photos. If you do, the “library will crash continuously on loading”. As a result, the library could be “destroyed”.

Even if the pictures in the library were taken with a different camera, they could end up destroyed. Users are being advised to not use Apple Photos for the DNG files. Presently, both the camera company and Apple are said to be working on a resolution to the problem together. Once that’s available, users will be able to use Photos and DNG files in peace.

The next Photos updated is expected to have a fix to this problem, but until then it is recommended that users use Adobe Lightroom instead for the DNG files. Be sure that the Photos update includes a fix for the problem before using it for the photos.

Source:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/05/leica-monochrom-typ-246-dng-files-currently-incompatible-with-apple-photos-app/

http://petapixel.com/2015/05/13/yikes-leica-monochrom-dng-bug-can-wipe-out-your-apples-photos-library/

My question is, why is it happening? Past the files not being compatible, why aren't they compatible?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Will I think Apple Photos should support .dng.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

If you can afford a Leica, why the hell would you use Photos and not Lightroom?