Project Athena: A Custom Case Build

nmil

19350011906_0024f0b1a7_z.jpg

Update time!

So while i was waiting for my brazing rods to arrive, I cut out some vents for the hot air from the hard drives to escape

19829819121_efe3b94d97_z.jpgIMG_0251 by nmrci1, on Flickr

Then it was time to braze everything together. Here's my ghetto brazing setup: B)

19824993745_23a7338378_z.jpgIMG_0256 by nmrci1, on Flickr

The four big pieces all brazed together. :D  (I know it's a very bad picture and I'll try to get a better one)

19806948980_340b58fb64_b.jpgIMG_0289 by nmrci1, on Flickr

In other news, I wall mounted my main monitor, so that it's the correct height.

19636958438_4cf7ce5a54_z.jpgIMG_0254 by nmrci1, on Flickr

That's all for now

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

19350011906_0024f0b1a7_b.jpg

So a small update this time.

Last update I was building vertically, this time i working sideways. everything is just temporarily held together with duct tape for now

19987202542_993b7659d5_b.jpgIMG_0294 by nmrci1, on Flickr

I also cut up an old case to get the motherboard tray and PCIe slots

19806950170_3858d87da0_b.jpgIMG_0292 by nmrci1, on Flickr

19987202932_a9879320ce_b.jpgIMG_0293 by nmrci1, on Flickr

That's all for now

I also posted up a video on last week's progress

it would be great if you guys could support my Youtube channel as well. I want to try to hit 30 subs by the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry there wasn't an update for while guys. I had to dedicate all my to school assignments.

Only a small update this time. I trimmed the mobo tray and pcie slots.

20519157351_9f9a3d7ace_b.jpgIMG_0330 by nmrci1, on Flickr

My X carve cnc mill finally arrived as well! :D It still looks like a mess cause i haven't finished wiring it yet. I'll post up better pictures when I'm done.

19891894703_81f6a0a127_b.jpgIMG_0331 by nmrci1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

hey sorry for never replying to you before :(

Forgot to sub, sorted it now, just hope I get email update notifications because they don't seem to work on my log. ?

Thanks for the kind words & I think its down to how much you use the drive. 
if its often then I would keep the bay unless its going to make a major difference to the looks of the final build.

saves all that messing about everytime you want to burn/play a disk.

if possible, see how it looks when your almost done with the build, iv been doing that & changing things, redone some bits 3 or 4 times

until i was 100% happy lol

BTW, im trying to keep up with lots of forums & other site so if you have a FB page I could follow let me know, then I would get the info faster :)

Rob

hey sorry for never replying to you before :(

Forgot to sub, sorted it now, just hope I get email update notifications because they don't seem to work on my log. ?

Thanks for the kind words & I think its down to how much you use the drive. 

if its often then I would keep the bay unless its going to make a major difference to the looks of the final build.

saves all that messing about everytime you want to burn/play a disk.

if possible, see how it looks when your almost done with the build, iv been doing that & changing things, redone some bits 3 or 4 times

until i was 100% happy lol

BTW, im trying to keep up with lots of forums & other site so if you have a FB page I could follow let me know, then I would get the info faster :)

Rob

Thanks for subbing mate.

If you want to keep up with the build maybe sub to my youtube channel. I usually post updates on there about a week later, but at least it'll be in your sub box.

I also finished wiring up the cnc and hope to get it all working fine by the end of next week.

Thanks for subbing mate.

If you want to keep up with the build maybe sub to my youtube channel. I usually post updates on there about a week later, but at least it'll be in your sub box.

I also finished wiring up the cnc and hope to get it all working fine by the end of next week.

Done, thanks :)

would love to have a CNC, laser cutter & 3D printer, well i can dream lol

Done, thanks :)

would love to have a CNC, laser cutter & 3D printer, well i can dream lol

Haha yeah lol.  :lol:

subbed...

Looks like a great grill, however do you think too much coverage could negatively impact performance? Whether this grill goes over intake or exhaust? Maybe as opposed to making it very detailed, go with a symbol or "icon" that resembles the build? Something that could take up less surface area?

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ PROJECT: GreenLANTERN (click to view)

Looks like a great grill, however do you think too much coverage could negatively impact performance? Whether this grill goes over intake or exhaust? Maybe as opposed to making it very detailed, go with a symbol or "icon" that resembles the build? Something that could take up less surface area?

Thanks mate. It's going over the exhaust fans up the top and it shouldn't cover up that much airflow, cause it's mostly covering the centre and most airflow goes found the sides.

And with the insignia, I can probably do one with a PA and one with my insignia, since I have 2 fans, but I'm still contemplating.

Looks awesome, I wish I could do crafty things like that

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Looks awesome, I wish I could do crafty things like that

Well I have lots of crafty progress today.

So last night I finally mocked up the power supply cover with duct tape.

20802169212_a6dcdd1465_b.jpgIMG_0332 by nmrci1, on Flickr

Then this morning I got all the parts attached together with pop rivets, don't worry they won't show up in the final.

20785351166_0067e2de25_b.jpgIMG_0333 by nmrci1, on Flickr

Then it was time to braze. I can't actually believe I finished all of that in one day.

20802173302_2d2f3cbf66_b.jpgIMG_0338 by nmrci1, on Flickr

20623636538_f8634b92a6_b.jpgIMG_0340 by nmrci1, on Flickr

So next update I hope to finish filing the frame and finish brazing.

Thanks for looking,

nmil

So I'm currently having trouble deciding on how I should mount the panels. Currently my 2 ideas are either epoxy so it looks seamless, or button head hex bolts which look quite cool. What do you guys think?

If you want an "industrial" look go for the hex bolts, otherwise I would say epoxy so it looks seamless like you said. I would appreciate the fine detail like that in a build more than something that will stand out.

If you want an "industrial" look go for the hex bolts, otherwise I would say epoxy so it looks seamless like you said. I would appreciate the fine detail like that in a build more than something that will stand out.

Yeah, the only problem with using all epoxy is that it is not strong enough to hold up the back panel, meaning I would have to use something else as well to take the strain, such as pop rivets

So I'm currently having trouble deciding on how I should mount the panels. Currently my 2 ideas are either epoxy so it looks seamless, or button head hex bolts which look quite cool. What do you guys think?

I would suggest using the button head hex bolts. Main reason being; if you ever have to take it apart. ;) If you use epoxy, once that panel is on, it's on for good. 

Plus I prefer the look of the button head hex bolts - but ultimately it's up to you, since it's your build. Make it how you want it. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yeah, the only problem with using all epoxy is that it is not strong enough to hold up the back panel, meaning I would have to use something else as well to take the strain, such as pop rivets

Ah, I see. Makes sense for sure. Not completely sure what would be better structurally between solutions to use, but if it was me I would probably get some flat head rivets and call it a day. There's really no reason to get too fancy, especially on the panels. 

I would suggest using the button head hex bolts. Main reason being; if you ever have to take it apart. ;) If you use epoxy, once that panel is on, it's on for good. 

Plus I prefer the look of the button head hex bolts - but ultimately it's up to you, since it's your build. Make it how you want it. :)

Ah, I see. Makes sense for sure. Not completely sure what would be better structurally between solutions to use, but if it was me I would probably get some flat head rivets and call it a day. There's really no reason to get too fancy, especially on the panels. 

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably be going with the button head screws. The only question is whether i should leave them black, or paint them white?

So I drew up the top panel for the case. I did both the one with PA on the second fan hole and another one with NMIL on the second fan hole.

20759887360_2c79741549_b.jpgtop panel pa by nmrci1, on Flickr

20761194639_f7e9e65c4f_b.jpgtop panel nmil by nmrci1, on Flickr

So what do you guys think, first one or second one?

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably be going with the button head screws. The only question is whether i should leave them black, or paint them white?

What if you get stainless (silver/chrome) button head screws?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

What if you get stainless (silver/chrome) button head screws?

Good idea, but I can't find any places near me that sell button head screws that aren't black. I'll keep trying though

So a small update this time.

I got the X-Carve completely finished and setup.

20379923744_cf2d30ec84_b.jpgx carve finished by nmrci1, on Flickr

If you guys want see everything that I've done to the CNC, you can check out the video below.

And I finished brazing the frame, now all that's left is filing.

20976293206_9019452830_b.jpgIMG_0357 by nmrci1, on Flickr

That's all for now guys, I won't be able to post any update for a while since I got exams coming up  :(

Cheers,

nmil