Student laptop recommendation (800-1000eur)

Hi all.

I decided I want a laptop that I can carry with me to college to take notes and do stuff on the go. I'm looking for a 13-15 inch laptop, focused on portability. The tasks I'm going to do with it are productivity stuff (edit docs, slideshows) and since I'm a computer science student, I'll be using it for coding very frequently. I don't really need fancy graphics or a laptop to be able to play, that's what I have my desktop PC for. I prefer a thinner and lighter computer than a heavier but more powerful one. Right now I'm not intersted in 2-in-1 PCs, I prefer a classic laptop with a keyboard to type on.

I've already done some research and found some interesting models of which I'd like to know your opinion. I liked the Zenbook UX303(i54210U 6GbRAM/i75500U 8Gb RAM) and UX305 (this one with CoreM, I don't know if it'll be enough. It's crazy light and thing though).

The UX303 cost 850EUR and 920EUR respectively, the UX305 being a bit cheaper, although I'm not sure about it because it's coming to Spain next month.

Just so you know more or less what the prices are here (unfortunately more expensive)

The budget is what I say in the title. Altough I could consider spending 1000EUR, it'll be best if the price tag was around 900EUR so I don't have to break the bank. I'm looking for opinion on those 2 PCs (specially the CoreM performance) and some other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I can wait until September to buy the laptop, it's not necessary right NOW.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah, I had read that review already. That's the LN version though. I'm talking about the LA which is almost the same, only without discrete GPU.

I like that ultrabook, but I have two configurations to choose from inside the price range: i75500U + 8Gb RAM or i54210U +6Gb RAM. The latter is 70 eur cheaper, and has a touchscreen, which could be nice. RAM is upgradable and I could spend those 70 euros on a mSATA 128Gb SSD to go along with the HDD the PC includes. Is there a significant difference between the i7 and the i5?

I'm still looking for new suggestions just in case.

OK so I just saw the Lenovo Yoga 3 (not Pro).

It's a bit more pricey than the Asus which, to be honest, was my final choice until I came across the Lenovo. It's still an ultrabook, maybe even a little thinner, but has a touchscreen and a 258GB SSD instead of a 1TB HDD. I like the looks, and I also dig Lenovo as a brand, and this particular model really caught my eye. Apart from that, it has the same CPU (i75500U) and same amount of RAM.

Any opinion on this one? Which do you think it's better? I hope I can see them in person, that'd be great.

Have you seen the Dell XPS? I don't know the pricing or availability where you are but it is really great. As light as the Asus but much more powerful.

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

Have you seen the Dell XPS? I don't know the pricing or availability where you are but it is really great. As light as the Asus but much more powerful.

the dell ups 13 is out of that range, that is a sexy laptop though. I want one so bad.

the dell ups 13 is out of that range, that is a sexy laptop though. I want one so bad.

Really? I mean the non-touch i3 version is only llke 700 usd. Isnt the zenbook 305 like 600?

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

Here the XPS starts at 1099EUR, which is 200 more than the UX303, but it has an i5 CPU and only 4GB of RAM. I prefer something else but with better specs. Seems like a great laptop though.

I liked the Zenbook UX303(i54210U 6GbRAM/i75500U 8Gb RAM) and UX305 (this one with CoreM, I don't know if it'll be enough. It's crazy light and thing though).

The budget is what I say in the title. Altough I could consider spending 1000EUR, it'll be best if the price tag was around 900EUR so I don't have to break the bank.

CoreM is below your power requirements I'd say. Those chips are designed for the absolute most basic of functionality. They often have a TDP limit of 4 watts, which can be upgraded to 5W if you know how to do it. I very much suggest you look for the ULV market rather than the Core-M market.

The Dell XPS 13 and Alienware 13 get my vote for you.

The Zenbook UX303 with the i5-4210U might be another decent choice, but I am loathe to recommend ASUS for reasons I don't feel like typing out right now, but if you decide you want to get it, then specs-wise it should be fine.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hi all.

I decided I want a laptop that I can carry with me to college to take notes and do stuff on the go. I'm looking for a 13-15 inch laptop, focused on portability. The tasks I'm going to do with it are productivity stuff (edit docs, slideshows) and since I'm a computer science student, I'll be using it for coding very frequently. I don't really need fancy graphics or a laptop to be able to play, that's what I have my desktop PC for. I prefer a thinner and lighter computer than a heavier but more powerful one. Right now I'm not intersted in 2-in-1 PCs, I prefer a classic laptop with a keyboard to type on.

I've already done some research and found some interesting models of which I'd like to know your opinion. I liked the Zenbook UX303(i54210U 6GbRAM/i75500U 8Gb RAM) and UX305 (this one with CoreM, I don't know if it'll be enough. It's crazy light and thing though).

The UX303 cost 850EUR and 920EUR respectively, the UX305 being a bit cheaper, although I'm not sure about it because it's coming to Spain next month.

Just so you know more or less what the prices are here (unfortunately more expensive)

The budget is what I say in the title. Altough I could consider spending 1000EUR, it'll be best if the price tag was around 900EUR so I don't have to break the bank. I'm looking for opinion on those 2 PCs (specially the CoreM performance) and some other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I can wait until September to buy the laptop, it's not necessary right NOW.

dell xps 13 my friend is perfect

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Really? I mean the non-touch i3 version is only llke 700 usd. Isnt the zenbook 305 like 600?

the i3 is 800, but again, thats an i3 with 4 gb ram and a tiny ssd. When you spec it us to the level of the x305 ram and ssd wise you are spending closer to 1200 bucks.

the i3 is 800, but again, thats an i3 with 4 gb ram and a tiny ssd. When you spec it us to the level of the x305 ram and ssd wise you are spending closer to 1200 bucks.

I understand that. I personally, will probably never buy one of the core M cpus. I personally think they are junk and belong in maybe some basic tablets at best. 

I just don't see them being able to perform well under any real application beside very very light web browsing.

Thanks for your responses.

I really wish I could afford the XPS13. If I finally manage to get a little more money maybe I can consider buying it. The thing is, I don't really mind giving up performance compared to the Asus (i5 vs i7) to get an overall better PC, but if I finally get the Dell I think will have to upgrade at least the RAM to 8Gb.

As to the Alienware 13, I like it, but I've always had the feeling that you're charge more just for the brand. It's a bit thicker and price-wise is very close to the XPS. I'll consider it but right now it's not my best option I think.

Thanks again.

I really wish I could afford the XPS13. If I finally manage to get a little more money maybe I can consider buying it. The thing is, I don't really mind giving up performance compared to the Asus (i5 vs i7) to get an overall better PC, but if I finally get the Dell I think will have to upgrade at least the RAM to 8Gb.

As to the Alienware 13, I like it, but I've always had the feeling that you're charge more just for the brand. It's a bit thicker and price-wise is very close to the XPS. I'll consider it but right now it's not my best option I think.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't have recommended under 8GB of RAM anyway, so I do feel you with the XPS13. i5 to i7 is no performance change, really. They are all dual cores. ULV chips have no quadcores. You might do well with reading my mobile CPU guide; even though ULV chips are not the focus, there is some explanation of them there.

As for the AW13, it is actually very adequately priced (at least in the US) for what you get. Surprisingly so, and it's why it has my recommendation. The cooling system in it is fine, and it should suit your needs very well.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I understand that. I personally, will probably never buy one of the core M cpus. I personally think they are junk and belong in maybe some basic tablets at best. 

I just don't see them being able to perform well under any real application beside very very light web browsing.

They seem to do alright in program use, which is what a student will mostly be using it for. A Video editing work horse it is not, but word, excel, a bit of coding are all things it can handle well enough. And you can't deny the power and space savings they enable.

Just so I have a more powerful alternative: what do you think about the Lenovo Y50-70?

CoreM is below your power requirements I'd say. Those chips are designed for the absolute most basic of functionality. They often have a TDP limit of 4 watts, which can be upgraded to 5W if you know how to do it. I very much suggest you look for the ULV market rather than the Core-M market.

The Dell XPS 13 and Alienware 13 get my vote for you.

The Zenbook UX303 with the i5-4210U might be another decent choice, but I am loathe to recommend ASUS for reasons I don't feel like typing out right now, but if you decide you want to get it, then specs-wise it should be fine.

dell xps 13 my friend is perfect

Isn't 13 inch a little too small to code on?

Also if you're a programmer you'd want a nice keyboard and the keyboard of the Dell XPS 13 is put in the size of a 11inch body.

Dell XPS 13 is amazing though, don't get me wrong, but I doubt 13 inch is what you should be looking for as a computer scientist.