Oculus Rift CV1 officially has a release date: Q1 2016

Aibohphobia

Can't believe Valve/HTC is releasing before them LOL. Should be good competition anyway.

Before the facebook takeover Valve was sharing all their R&D with Oculus. Most likely that's no longer the case and they may now see each other as competitors despite the close relationship between Gabe and Carmack.

Yaaaa I will believe it once I see it. Don't forget valve work in their own time scales. 

Didn't follow the Oculus for a while now.

• Does it still need a camera pointing at you ?
  • If it's still wired, what is it exactly ? USB, HDMI, Displayport ?
  • Are we still talking 350$ish ? 

Didn't follow the Oculus for a while now.

• Does it still need a camera pointing at you ?
  • If it's still wired, what is it exactly ? USB, HDMI, Displayport ?
  • Are we still talking 350$ish ? 

If CV1 follows closely to the latest prototype then it'll have a camera.

Probably HDMI, possibly DP depending on resolution and refresh, and almost certainly USB for power/data.

They've stated they want it to be affordable and don't need to make big profit margins so hopefully <$300.

Yaaaa I will believe it once I see it. Don't forget valve work in their own time scales. 

Well it's not just Valve, HTC is handling the hardware side of it. So I think they'll more or less meet their deadline (end of 2015).

Is there any word on what kind of screen tech the CV1 will use? Because I tried a DK2 recently and the sub-pixels (especially the red ones) was very visible

It'll be better than Crescent Bay, which was already a lot better than DK2.

At what resolution?

Because the DK2 is terrible imho.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Probably HDMI, possibly DP depending on resolution and refresh, and almost certainly USB for power/data.

That kind of sucks for the living room. It's ok if your PC is right by your side but mine is hidden behind the TV wall. I know I'm the minority playing on the TV but for mass adoption... that'll be weird. I guess it will be the same for Sony's Morpheus. I'll probably buy one anyway just to play with it. Be it the Oculus or the HTC, I'll just pick the best. 

Thanks for your post :)

if it's reasonably priced then I can't freaking wait to play horror games with it or driving/flight type games.

Yep true... but I think Valve's part was in the R&D plus product design stage. Now that they have moved past that stage it will be HTC who will handle the production run, Q&A, and commercialization. I don't think HTC will screw it up and they will want to sell a good chunk before Oculus Rift hits the market. Valve now seems to be focusing on the software ecosystem and APIs to enable game devs to support VR. HTC will spearhead the hardware side...

Yep true... but I think Valve's part was in the R&D plus product design stage. Now that they have moved past that stage it will be HTC who will handle the production run, Q&A, and commercialization. I don't think HTC will screw it up and they will want to sell a good chunk before Oculus Rift hits the market. Valve now seems to be focusing on the software ecosystem and APIs to enable game devs to support VR. HTC will spearhead the hardware side...

Steam machines ... 

Their controller ... 

They will be done ONE DAY. And one DAY we will able to buy them

I mean we even got a STORE PAGE for those items. Just can't buy them. 

One day ... :P 

Thanks! I've updated OP.

Np :)

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

VR is not optimal until we have 8k screens on the headsets I'd rather wait. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

VR is not optimal until we have 8k screens on the headsets I'd rather wait.

Hmmm that would need GPU power way beyond current gen. Maintaing frame rate consistently above 60 is important for VR.

not sure that's a date personally

Yes, not the best wording on my part. But it's a big step up compared to the vague timeframes we've been getting until now.

I don't know. I would love to see a comparison between hololens and Oculus rift.

I don't know. I would love to see a comparison between hololens and Oculus rift.

isnt the Occulus Rift wired?

Hololens is AR and the Rift is VR. They will certainly converge in the future but for now it's two separate markets. 

At what resolution?

Because the DK2 is terrible imho.

I don't think the resolution pre se is the problem with the DK2. The problem is that the screen tech that it used very clearly allowed you to see the sub-pixels

I don't think the resolution pre se is the problem with the DK2. The problem is that the screen tech that it used very clearly allowed you to see the sub-pixels

Nah resolution was also a fairly big issue. 1080p but split between the 2 eyes, so its only half that. Not very high resolution.

Plus yeah, its really close to your face, the lenses are warping the image and making it worse.

And yeah, you are comparing AR vs VR.

Augment Reality vs Replacing it.

Rift / Vive / Gear VR and so on, all have a far larger FoV than HoloLens, but it needs that.

Holo Lens gets away with it more as low FoV means you don't see "holograms" on everything, but you still see.

Low FoV in VR means black bars in your view.

For gaming and so on, in the near future VR will probably be better. 

AR is nice for stuff that is rooted in the real world, but its also not got enough FoV for most game applications. 

In the future, the two will converge and essentially be the same, but until then, VR is king for gaming and such, and anything with a high FoV need.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

And yeah, you are comparing AR vs VR.

Yeah, you have a solid point. I was wondering from a customer's point of view.  With HoloLens, you can do all these things, but oculus rift is limited. Would love so see all the differences, including graphics on them.

Yeah, you have a solid point. I was wondering from a customer's point of view.  With HoloLens, you can do all these things, but oculus rift is limited. Would love so see all the differences, including graphics on them.

For now, VR headsets can deliver much better display quality. Might not stay that way though.

I mean, if you could get the same display quality with an AR headset as a VR headset, there would be zero market for VR headsets. You'd just buy an AR headset and use it for both AR and VR.

Ivzu2Sgh.jpg

8cOXuZQh.jpg

Credit to /u/klohto for the brightened pics

Looks like we're getting some kind of physical adjuster, probably either IPD or lens distance.