GTA V Radeon HD 6990

Hi Guys,

Anyone in here with another CPU than mine (FX 8350)

that can test GTA V performance on Radeon HD 6990 or 2x6970 or 2x6950's ?

I'd really like to know, if I'm really being held back by the CPU. GPU usage is usually only at 60% on each, and getting low fps. Except for some Places, I get like 60+ and 90%+ usage.

I'd like someone with an i5 or i7 to share some fps values.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I think it might be poor xfire support for the game.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

I can't benchmark/test it for you as I don't have those gpu's but I can tell you that if you can't play on proper fps it'll probably be your cpu.. the 6990 should be easily capable of playing mid graphics.

AMD cpu's are not made for gaming due to their many-weak cores compared to intel their stronger single cores

I can't benchmark/test it for you as I don't have those gpu's but I can tell you that if you can't play on proper fps it'll probably be your cpu.. the 6990 should be easily capable of playing mid graphics.

AMD cpu's are not made for gaming due to their many-weak cores compared to intel their stronger single cores

Please be quiet.

If you bother checking some benchmarks done by people, the FX8350 handles the game okay.

@OP Probably poor crossfire support atm, and that HD6990 is dual gpu, so it's 2GB x2 if remember correctly? This game gets quite vram hungry.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Please be quiet.

If you bother checking some benchmarks done by people, the FX8350 handles the game okay.

So does the 6990.

You are being held back a bit by the cpu, but not that much. GTA V works pretty well on FX cpus. An i5 or i7 would still perform a bit better, but nothing dramatic.

Your problem is probably related to crossfire scaling, it's not brilliant in gta v, specifically in the benchmark.

That's wrong. Games are usually not made to support a lot of cores, which is very different. As I was saying, gta v uses the cores pretty well and FX cpus compare nicely with intel solutions (for the price).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Games are usually not made to support a lot of cores

How am I wrong if you just stated i'm actually correct... ?

Intel has stronger singlecore performance over the amd's weaker (but more) cores. If it doesn't support a lot of cores (let's say 4), intel simply wins as their cores are just.. better... right? 

The whole reason behind intel being better than AMD in regards of gaming is because of that sole statement "Games are usually not made to support a lot of cores"

How am I wrong if you just stated i'm actually correct... ?

Intel has stronger singlecore performance over the amd's weaker (but more) cores. If it doesn't support a lot of cores (let's say 4), intel simply wins as their cores are just.. better... right? 

You said amd cpus are "not made for gaming", as if amd designed them to be bad at games on purpose. There's a difference.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The whole reason behind intel being better than AMD in regards of gaming is because of that sole statement "Games are usually not made to support a lot of cores"

I can agree with this. But even in single-core performance, the FX 8350 is comparable to 2.generation i5 CPU's right? So shouldn't be unbelievably bad.

You said amd cpus are "not made for gaming", as if amd designed them to be bad at games on purpose. There's a difference.

I agree, it should be formulated better. I got the AMD for future game streaming if I wanted, and also I alt-tab out a lot, and want a lot of Things running at the same time.

Plus i got the mobo and cpu in a bundle super cheap, like 150$ a year ago.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I'm running everything in "Graphics" on High/Ultra , except textures, on Medium, due to VRAM.

In advanced Graphics, it's all on minimum however.

I'm running everything in "Graphics" on High/Ultra , except textures, on Medium, due to VRAM.

In advanced Graphics, it's all on minimum however.

What's the main reason you're looking for an upgrade or well benchmarks?

What's the main reason you're looking for an upgrade or well benchmarks?

I'm not looking for an upgrade, and will simply reduce to "medium" settings if I have to. Just wondering, if the CPU really is a bottleneck for me, in the new games.

the 8350 is specifically recommended from the AMD side, and some Intel i7 or i5 from INTEL side. I just read in another post that the 8350 would definitely bottleneck a 980 and that people should get an I7-4770k or something similar. Was like wtf?.. seriously?

Please be quiet.

@OP Probably poor crossfire support atm, and that HD6990 is dual gpu, so it's 2GB x2 if remember correctly? This game gets quite vram hungry.

2847186-http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stor

They handle it okay . But intel is much better , the 3 year old sandy 2500k at stock beats a 9590 .

I'm not looking for an upgrade, and will simply reduce to "medium" settings if I have to. Just wondering, if the CPU really is a bottleneck for me, in the new games.

the 8350 is specifically recommended from the AMD side, and some Intel i7 or i5 from INTEL side. I just read in another post that the 8350 would definitely bottleneck a 980 and that people should get an I7-4770k or something similar. Was like wtf?.. seriously?

If you want a 980 (or 970), you should get an i5 4690k. This is basically the best 1080/144p setup there is for gaming. You'll be able to max anything out and not worry about a damn thing and play 60fps+ in any game + upcoming titles this year(s).

If you want a 980 (or 970), you should get an i5 4690k. This is basically the best 1080/144p setup there is for gaming. You'll be able to max anything out and not worry about a damn thing and play 60fps+ in any game + upcoming titles this year(s).

Thank you, but I'm still not looking to upgrade, just wondering if I actually AM bottlenecked. My plan is to stick with the 8350 and 6990 for another 3-5 years, and just turn Down the settings if i need to :-D However as more and more games hopefully will start using more than 4 cores, I hope the 8350 will start to shine at some point haha :-P

The 6990 should be able to handle new games in medium at 1080p with no problem, hopefully.

Thank you, but I'm still not looking to upgrade, just wondering if I actually AM bottlenecked. My plan is to stick with the 8350 and 6990 for another 3-5 years, and just turn Down the settings if i need to :-D However as more and more games hopefully will start using more than 4 cores, I hope the 8350 will start to shine at some point haha :-P

The 6990 should be able to handle new games in medium at 1080p with no problem, hopefully.

Nah you're not bottlenecked, atleast I highly doubt it as the 6990 is not really a high-end card.

I don't think (I am pretty sure) that it will not last 3-5years though. Games are getting more demanding every year.. so quick that the market is barely keeping up.

GPU usage is usually only at 60% on each, and getting low fps. Except for some Places, I get like 60+ and 90%+ usage.

..well...it think you have your answer right there man..

I just read in another post that the 8350 would definitely bottleneck a 980 and that people should get an I7-4770k or something similar. Was like wtf?.. seriously?

yes...i had FX-8320@4.6ghz paired with GTX 780...and the CPU was holding back my GPU in many if not most games...the FX chips when it comes to gaming are as weak as intel chips that are like 8-9 years old...BUT if you're mostly gaming with your machine you can't go wrong with a core i5-4690K...extra threads from the i7 can be useful to have sometimes but not for most games (as of today, might be completely different in a couple years, who knows.)

Unless money is really not a concern, don't buy i7-4790K and GTX 980...too much for so little more perf...get i5-4690K and GTX 970 instead.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

..well...it think you have your answer right there man..

yes...i had FX-8320@4.6ghz paired with GTX 780...and the CPU was holding back my GPU in many if not most games...the FX chips when it comes to gaming are as weak as intel chips that are like 8-9 years old...BUT if you're mostly gaming with your machine you can't go wrong with a core i5-4690K...extra threads from the i7 can be useful to have sometimes but not for most games (as of today, might be completely different in a couple years, who knows.)

Unless money is really not a concern, don't buy i7-4790K and GTX 980...too much for so little more perf...get i5-4690K and GTX 970 instead.

Sounds like I might go intel next time. Better performance/price IRL, even though numbers show this AMD cpu to pwn some i5's :/ weird.