is there any reason as to why the schools two WiFi routers run on the same channel?

Corruption

1-4 are the channels that the guest/student WiFi AND teacher WiFi uses. Is there a purpose to this besides slowing it down and causing dead zones? Because we get a lot of those in our school. I ask because I'm going to talk to the tech guy at our school and if he did that on purpose then I'm going to look stupid questioning him. He even has a PhD.

Taking Falling to whole new Heights

maybe channel 5-12 are full...might be why

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

maybe channel 5-12 are full...might be why

Nope. Our high school is far away from any conflicting routers and these are the only two.

1-4 are the channels that the guest/student WiFi AND teacher WiFi uses. Is there a purpose to this besides slowing it down and causing dead zones? Because we get a lot of those in our school. I ask because I'm going to talk to the tech guy at our school and if he did that on purpose then I'm going to look stupid questioning him. He even has a PhD.

There is no slowing it down and causing deadzones. This is purely for managing and filtering users. The Wifi might be slow for you because it's just not good enough. What system are you using? If he has a PhD in network engineering don't even bother talking to him.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Nope. Our high school is far away from any conflicting routers and these are the only two.

Maybe the IT guy just set it on AUTO and both router so happen to use the same channel? Plus maybe he isn't using WiFi so he doesn't bother to change it or optimize it?

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

my school used to have a stutent network, guest network, teachers network, and an extra "experimentation" network, ALL on channel 6, it was a mess.

recently they switched to different channels for all these networks, and its MUCH better.

There is no slowing it down and causing deadzones. This is purely for managing and filtering users. The Wifi might be slow for you because it's just not good enough. What system are you using? If he has a PhD in network engineering don't even bother talking to him.

If its not a dead zone then how come as soon as I leave my chemistry class I can actually load things versus when not even a simple speed test working while in the class?

Would it be more difficult to monitor them if they were on separate channels?

I don't know what he majored in but I know he's a doctor.

my school used to have a stutent network, guest network, teachers network, and an extra "experimentation" network, ALL on channel 6, it was a mess.

recently they switched to different channels for all these networks, and its MUCH better.

So you think it could just be a simple mistake?

So you think it could just be a simple mistake?

its not a mistake, its laziness.

If its not a dead zone then how come as soon as I leave my chemistry class I can actually load things versus when not even a simple speed test working while in the class?

Would it be more difficult to monitor them if they were on separate channels?

I don't know what he majored in but I know he's a doctor.

It's called the handover from one AP to another. Maybe he has configured it wrong or the APs are too far apart. You might be in the spot where they can't make up their minds are they juggle you around.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I'd advise you not to confront him about it. He won't appreciate some 16 year old kid telling him how to do his job.

It'll most likely be the channels left to auto, but most computers on the network will be hooked up by Ethernet, with WiFi being for laptops and students where the bandwidth priority isn't high. Just put up with it, if you want to use the internet quick then use one of the machines available

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

I convinced my principal to let me tamper with the WiFi after the speed was really slowed down by all the Networks we had, Moved them around and now they get 80mbps.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I'd advise you not to confront him about it. He won't appreciate some 16 year old kid telling him how to do his job.

It'll most likely be the channels left to auto, but most computers on the network will be hooked up by Ethernet, with WiFi being for laptops and students where the bandwidth priority isn't high. Just put up with it, if you want to use the internet quick then use one of the machines available

during all my free time I get on the internet (which is a lot) and I use my tablet for reddit is fun, ifunny, YouTube, etc. All of which aren't allowed on the desktop PCs. So I use the WiFi a lot since I have a lot of free time so this channel interference does affect me.

I convinced my principal to let me tamper with the WiFi after the speed was really slowed down by all the Networks we had, Moved them around and now they get 80mbps.

Lucky. Our wireless speed is like 70x slower than wired. Wired beingbeing 70mbps

during all my free time I get on the internet (which is a lot) and I use my tablet for reddit is fun, ifunny, YouTube, etc. All of which aren't allowed on the desktop PCs. So I use the WiFi a lot since I have a lot of free time so this channel interference does affect me.

Then the slowdown you're getting will be your student WiFi having a bandwidth cap so that the school machines will always have the priority.

I hate when people say this and I hate saying it myself, but do some work or something creative instead

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Then the slowdown you're getting will be your student WiFi having a bandwidth cap so that the school machines will always have the priority.

I hate when people say this and I hate saying it myself, but do some work or something creative instead

By free time I mean time when I have all my work done. Therefore, no more work. Which means I can't. And what do you mean something "more creative"? The only options are either your tablet/phone,work, Or sleep.

By free time I mean time when I have all my work done. Therefore, no more work. Which means I can't. And what do you mean something "more creative"? The only options are either your tablet/phone,work, Or sleep.

If you're done with all of your work, you wouldn't be in school. You can go and do work for other subjects that you have. If you live close enough, go home for your free periods.

By more creative you can try out drawing, or making a game or something

If you're done with all of your work, you wouldn't be in school. You can go and do work for other subjects that you have. If you live close enough, go home for your free periods.

By more creative you can try out drawing, or making a game or something

Are you asking me to go to my next class and ask for the work? Before I even learn it? And I don't have "free periods". I have free time during normal periods most of which are in dead zones. Which is why its a problem for me. And I suck at drawing and only make myself mad. And I live two miles away so I can't go home.

Are you asking me to go to my next class and ask for the work? Before I even learn it? And I don't have "free periods". I have free time during normal periods most of which are in dead zones. Which is why its a problem for me. And I suck at drawing and only make myself mad. And I live two miles away so I can't go home.

What's stopping you from asking the teacher for some extra work to do? 

What's stopping you from asking the teacher for some extra work to do?

Not getting grades for them and ending up wasting my time with things I haven't learned yet when I could've been entertaining myself.

Not getting grades for them and ending up wasting my time with things I haven't learned yet when I could've been entertaining myself.

You could learn them, or go over anything you're unsure about until you know what you're doing

Anyway, this is getting derailed pretty fast, so I'll end it here and wish you luck with whatever you do

You could learn them, or go over anything you're unsure about until you know what you're doing

Anyway, this is getting derailed pretty fast, so I'll end it here and wish you luck with whatever you do

Thanks

So there are two visible SSIDs and they both use the same channel. There's nothing wrong with this, odds are both of them are on the SAME access point which is why it's the same channel. The reason you're seeing two is so they can separate them out onto different "networks". For example maybe there are some things that they want staff to have access to that they don't want students having access to....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing