How to paint your motherboard?

cdbowman
Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Here's what you do:

Take painter's tape, cover EVERYTHING that could be a problem if paint gets in it around the parts you want white. This means taking the tape and folding it into a V shape and stuffing it in the PCI-e/RAM slots. 

Spray paint the components you want white. This will leave a little bit of orange in the slot itself, but not visible once everything is installed.

Be sure to cover the fans when spray painting the orange bits on the heatsinks along with anything else around them that you don't want white.

Remove painter's tape.

Done.

It's realllllly not rocket science. You just have to be uber careful about letting paint get where it shouldn't be. Paint is not conductive from what I've seen/heard, but even then, it's better to be cautious.

Also, expect your heatsinks to be less efficient because of this.

One other option  you have is plasti-dip. It's easily removable so you can do that if you don't like it/think it gets in the way. 

I have a Gigabyte z87 OC Force motherboard that I wanted to paint or color the orange pieces of motherboard white to fit my build I was wondering what the best way to do this is?   

You can't...

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Yeah I don't think thats gonna work...

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

You don't simple as that.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I've seen it done (blue ROG on livestream), but you need to be VERY GOOD with a soldering iron, do not take this lightly. Most likely you shouldn't because it is very likely to ruin the board. Just ht eheatsinks you may be able to pull off.

Here's what you do:

Take painter's tape, cover EVERYTHING that could be a problem if paint gets in it around the parts you want white. This means taking the tape and folding it into a V shape and stuffing it in the PCI-e/RAM slots. 

Spray paint the components you want white. This will leave a little bit of orange in the slot itself, but not visible once everything is installed.

Be sure to cover the fans when spray painting the orange bits on the heatsinks along with anything else around them that you don't want white.

Remove painter's tape.

Done.

It's realllllly not rocket science. You just have to be uber careful about letting paint get where it shouldn't be. Paint is not conductive from what I've seen/heard, but even then, it's better to be cautious.

Also, expect your heatsinks to be less efficient because of this.

One other option  you have is plasti-dip. It's easily removable so you can do that if you don't like it/think it gets in the way. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This means taking the tape and folding it into a V shape and stuffing it in the PCI-e/RAM slots. 

This is not true. I've seen Paultan spray over his RAM and PCI slots without any tape or coverage of the pins.

After you sprayed the slots, let the paint dry and then insert your RAM / PCI card into the slot a few times to scrape off the paint where the pins make contact.

This is not true. I've seen Paultan spray over his RAM and PCI slots without any tape or coverage of the pins.

After you sprayed the slots, let the paint dry and then insert your RAM / PCI card into the slot a few times to scrape off the paint where the pins make contact.

Well I'd rather not have chips of paint in my PCI-e and RAM slots, thanks. 

:|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well I'd rather not have chips of paint in my PCI-e and RAM slots, thanks. 

:|

You clearly don't know who Paultan is

You clearly don't know who Paultan is

Clearly.

This Paultan?

Because I don't care how bawlin' his site or builds look. I don't. Want paint chips. In my PCI-e and RAM slots.

Whether it works or not, something about that just bothers me.

† Christian Member †

Clearly.

This Paultan?

Because I don't care how bawlin' his site or builds look. I don't. Want paint chips. In my PCI-e and RAM slots.

Whether it works or not, something about that just bothers me.

If you don't want chips of paint in your slots, then just flip your board upside down and give it a light tap :)?

If you don't want chips of paint in your slots, then just flip your board upside down and give it a light tap :)?

To be perfectly honest, the reason it bothers me is because it works. :|

Also, I'd be inclined to use Plasti-dip on my mobo, but that doesn't come off as easily as paint.

† Christian Member †