Xeon E3 1246 V3

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight.  I'm building a new rig.  I don't game much, but if anything I'll play cs:go maybe.  The rig is going to be for video editing, and more importantly 3d modeling.  It's more of a workstation hybrid.  So, I'm going with the 1246v3 because it gives me hyper threading for the same price as a 4690k and I lose overclocking, but gain intel p4600 graphics.  Intel says that in order to support p4600 graphics workstation application optimizations you need to be on the c226 chipset.  I already bought a z97 motherboard before deciding to go with the xeon, so will this affect my performance in applications like autodesk inventor, or adobe creative suite?  Does this change if my discreet gpu is a quadro k4200?  

I don't care about overclocking too much, and I can probably get an extra 5% out of base clock anyway, but the hyperthreading is a big deal.  The only motherboards available for c226 are an expensive Asus WS, a pretty good Asrock board, or supermicro stuff.. which is ugly, but amazing quality.  I'd rather stick with my z97 board, but I want to know what "workstation application optimizations" means exactly.. I can't find anything specific on which certifications they have on intel's website.

Thanks guys.. any help would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight.  I'm building a new rig.  I don't game much, but if anything I'll play cs:go maybe.  The rig is going to be for video editing, and more importantly 3d modeling.  It's more of a workstation hybrid.  So, I'm going with the 1246v3 because it gives me hyper threading for the same price as a 4690k and I lose overclocking, but gain intel p4600 graphics.  Intel says that in order to support p4600 graphics workstation application optimizations you need to be on the c226 chipset.  I already bought a z97 motherboard before deciding to go with the xeon, so will this affect my performance in applications like autodesk inventor, or adobe creative suite?  Does this change if my discreet gpu is a quadro k4200?  

I don't care about overclocking too much, and I can probably get an extra 5% out of base clock anyway, but the hyperthreading is a big deal.  The only motherboards available for c226 are an expensive Asus WS, a pretty good Asrock board, or supermicro stuff.. which is ugly, but amazing quality.  I'd rather stick with my z97 board, but I want to know what "workstation application optimizations" means exactly.. I can't find anything specific on which certifications they have on intel's website.

Thanks guys.. any help would be appreciated.

Seems to be fairly similar to my CPU, and I have no issues using mine on a Z97 board. You should be fine if you already have the quadro to use as a GPU. I'd say check your motherboard manufacturers website to see if your motherboard supports the CPU.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

I checked with MSI, and it should be fine.. but I don't have the Quadro yet.. so I'm wondering if in the meantime, the intel graphics will work correctly in professional applications.  Also, I can use nono-ecc memory with a xeon right?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

I checked with MSI, and it should be fine.. but I don't have the Quadro yet.. so I'm wondering if in the meantime, the intel graphics will work correctly in professional applications.  Also, I can use nono-ecc memory with a xeon right?

for xeon-e3-1246-v3 you can

If you are a on a budget and if you dont need double precision, dont go for a quadro because they are much more expensive for the performance they give mostly because of better customer service than for consumer cards and workstation-applications optimized( the optimization only makes it slightly better). For example, the quadro 4200 which is a 1000$ gpu is an inbetween a gtx 960 and a 970 in terms of cuda cores.

If you tell us the budget you have for the gpu, we could make you recommendations

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

According to Intel the iGPU on Xeons are certified for professional applications like AutoCAD, Photoshop, Maya, etc.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/performance-xeon-e3-1200-hd-graphics-p4000-guide.pdf

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list