Corsair M40 vs Corsair M65 quick review

resetoriginal
So i was looking for advice on the m40, but no one seems to have much advice so I took the
plunge and decided to buy the m40 myself. In terms of ergonomics they are both identical,
which is a good thing because I really like the feel of it. I also like heavier mice so i left all 
the weights in.

Palm grip doesn't really work for people with large hands (that would be me) but claw grip is
very comfortable.  The back buttons are in a good spot, particularly for people with a claw
grip. Palm grip feels like the buttons are a bit too far up but that may be just me.

On the m65 the sniper button has a similar effect, claw grip makes the sniper button feel
great but palm just feels odd. It's one of those personal things that would be best to try out at
a computer store if possible. On a personal note, I never used the sniper button for gaming,
I found that turning down the dpi was more than sufficient and my hands are fairly steady so
aiming was not an issue. It is fantastic however for photoshop and other editing software
which requires precise accuracy at a moment's notice.

Both mice have awesome LED's and would look great with corsair's keyboards. I personally
have the k70 black/red version and the m40 matches it perfectly.

Now for the main part, the laser sensors.

Optical vs laser.  From the start the m40 has felt "smoother" than the laser.  
Not sure if it is actually smoother, or if the tracking is a bit more precise. Either way it feels better to use
than the laser in the m65. Not to say that the m65 is bad, because it' not. It's actually very
smooth and has great tracking too, the m40 just feels better. 

Are there any negatives to mention? Well...not really. Both mice feel really solid, the button
clicks feel great, the scroll wheel is great. If I had one complaint it's that the m40's scroll
wheel rattles if you shake the mouse. No its not a common thing to do with a mouse but it
does not happen on the m65 so I figure I should bring it up. Also when you actually place your
finger over the scroll wheel you can feel it nudging to one side. It may have been mine but I
do not want to deal with returns/exchanges. If someone in the future does buy one feel free
to post here and let everyone know. 

So which one is better? Well, they are both great. Ergonomically they are both the same so if
you like one, you will for sure like the other. In terms of sensors, if you want something more
accurate the m40 is your bet, at least from my experience. The other thing to consider is
colour scheme.  I initially had the m65, but mostly switched because I can be very OCD
on colour matching for my personal setup. 

One other notable difference is the fact that the m65 has an 8200  dpi sensore, while the m40
can only go up to 4000 dpi. For people like me who get used to the insanely fast 8200 dpi and
prefer mice that are crazy fast, a simple trick is to go into your  computer's settings and
increase the mouse pointer speed all the way up and it ends up feeling like an 8200 dpi mouse.
That's how I prefer it so for everyone else feel free to experiment.  

The difference in price between the m40 and m65 is only 10 dollars(where I live anyway),
59.99 and 69.99 CAD respectively. It really comes down to whether or not you want a sniper
button and or which colour would best match your setup. You can't go wrong with either
choice, and I can definitely recommend either one, but as stated earlier, my personal choice is the m40. 
Also some extra bonus points to the m40 for having the corsair logo glow, small feature that goes
a long way when it comes to aesthetics I think. 

Hope this helps and you enjoyed the review, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask

Cheers.

post-5835-0-64125700-1373883922_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-45564200-1373883972_thumb.jp

both are really nice but 65 stomps on 50 in my opinion

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Quick question for the M40 , it only has red lighting ? Or is it customizable ?

One nice thing about the sniper button on the M60/M65 is that you can make the button a key command. I use it for R so I can reload and strafe right at the same time.

Quick question for the M40 , it only has red lighting ? Or is it customizable ?

the m40 and the m65 only have 1 led, the m40 is only red, and the m65 is only blue.

One nice thing about the sniper button on the M60/M65 is that you can make the button a key command. I use it for R so I can reload and strafe right at the same time.

this is true, it can be handy for other things as well, all depends on play style. thanks for mentioning it.  

Is there an aluminium frame on the M40, or is it plastic?

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Sadly the m40 is plastic

Shame because there's only a 10 dollar difference in price, imo it should have been at least 20 but oh well, I do prefer it aesthetically

Go back to 6/11 windows pointer speed. You're making your mouse less accurate by changing it. Maybe you've forced yourself to get used to a whacked-out sensitivity, but you'll benefit by getting used to a lower one.

Anyway, is the switch from metal to plastic in any way actually noticeable?

looks like a downgrade to me on every level.

Well considering the main function of a mouse is going where you point it, being better at that is rather significant - especially if going where you point it is important to you, as it tends to be for gamers.

Go back to 6/11 windows pointer speed. You're making your mouse less accurate by changing it. Maybe you've forced yourself to get used to a whacked-out sensitivity, but you'll benefit by getting used to a lower one.

Anyway, is the switch from metal to plastic in any way actually noticeable?

Well considering the main function of a mouse is going where you point it, being better at that is rather significant - especially if going where you point it is important to you, as it tends to be for gamers.

the switch from metal frame to the plastic is very minimal, if at all noticeable, unless you lift your mouse very often i doubt you would pick up on the weight difference, and since the top of both mice are identical in material it feels exactly the same (minus a sniper button on the m40)

looks like a downgrade to me on every level. 

how is it a downgrade on every level? they both have the same ergonomics, they are both more or less the same weight, same button layout...the biggest visual difference is the lack of a sniper button and glowing corsair logo on the m40, interals they both have different senors, where the m40 is imo better.

care to elaborate?  

I also have the M40 and I've noticed the scroll wheel rattling, too. Of course you have to move the mouse really fast to notice it so it is not too distracting.

As for M65 vs M40 (laser vs optical), I chose the M40 because I also find the optical sensor to be much smoother than a laser one. I've always been disappointed by little inaccuracies and quirks with laser sensors in the past so I'm gonna stick with optical sensors.