MASSIVE Overheating problems on an HP Probook 4420s at Idle

Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

So I re-installed Windows 7 Pro on my HP Probook 4420s after having Ubuntu on it so I can get Windows 10 once it comes out put with in two minutes of booting it up, the fan went to full and it get hella hot. So, I downloaded HWMonitor and I have a pictures of the temps, they are a bit lower from were they first were because I downloaded SpeedFan, put it too 100% then suck it in my empty freezer for a few minutes (Very ghetto, be quite) but can anyone help me fix this problem, I'm suck with this laptop for another month and a half.

New thermal paste? Also what power mode are you in(power saver, balanced, etc.)?

So I re-installed Windows 7 Pro on my HP Probook 4420s after having Ubuntu on it so I can get Windows 10 once it comes out put with in two minutes of booting it up, the fan went to full and it get hella hot. So, I downloaded HWMonitor and I have a pictures of the temps, they are a bit lower from were they first were because I downloaded SpeedFan, put it too 100% then suck it in my empty freezer for a few minutes (Very ghetto, be quite) but can anyone help me fix this problem, I'm suck with this laptop for another month and a half.

post-84444-0-12571000-1430634545.png

Ran by coffee

New thermal paste? Also what power mode are you in(power saver, balanced, etc.)?

Could be dust built up not allowing for heat to escape the shell. - Check the fan grills to look for dust build up. Take lower shell off and inspect the fans directly

Could be your case fans dying. - After checking for dust, see if the fans are spinning at a proper RPM, if not then the fan motors could be taking a dump.

Could be your battery dying putting off excess heat that can't dissipate quickly enough. - Do you usually keep it plugged in? How old is the battery? What is the average battery life on idle?

Could be your cpu to cooler connection - Reapply thermal goop (paste)

Could be that it isn't getting enough ventilation - Are you using the laptop on a cushion or a bed? The fans may not be able to dissipate the heat. 

If it isn't one of these then I can think of more reasons. These are most common.

I just took off the heat sink and reapplied thermal paste, thank you! I wound't have thought of checking that, threw some back on and I'm currently trying to get the fan to go back on haha.

(I forget like a month ago I tried getting it off, but couldn't get it all the way out, so I put it back on, I knew that putting it back with new paste is bad put I forget and put it back)

My poor i3 380m http://imgur.com/3zVqmad

Ran by coffee